Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK so 52" springs in the front but about the back? Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Redwookie, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

Hi all I'm pretty new to the forum and already like it enough to become a member (just gotta my card back from the ol lady :crazy: to pay). Anyways I've got an 89 k5 right now with a 4 inch lift and blocks in the back (boo). Ideally I'd like to move the rear springs (52"?) to the front, and put some 56" burbo springs in the back. So I read the article on doing the front seems pretty straight forward but don't know what I'm doing in the back. Can I get my hands on some used 56" springs cheap? What fab is needed? Will this help the articulation? And of course does it help get rid of the patented Blazer @ss sagging? Thanks fellas for any insight ya got!:confused: Oh yeah is this going to significantly raise the vehicle height from the previous height? I'm not really wanting too much more overall height, just better articulation and less saggy back side? It barely fits in my parking garage at school or the garage at home as it is.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  2. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

52" 's in the front require lots of other modifications. you'll need cross over steering, and that on a 10 bolt is $$$. to put 56" in the rear you could do a shackle flip and get rid of the blocks. that will get you about 4" of lift. i suggest you do lots of reading on the 52" swap.

3. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks a lot. I probably won't bother with the front quite yet then. My main goal was to lose the blocks and a$$ sag anyways. Lots of other fish to fry first (lockers, axles, u-joints)

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

check out www.diy4x.com kert makes shackle flips and they are top quality. that would allot you to remove the blocks

5. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

Cool Thanks! Hey he sells kits that include the shackle flip and the longer length shackles 4.5" or 6". You don't happen to know if that means 4" of lift from the shackle flip and an additional 4.5 or 6 from the actual shackle in the kit? I'm only looking to loose the blocks not go higher. Thx again.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

nope the different length shackles are to adjust shackle angle. both lengths net about 4-5" lift depending on condition of the leaf springs

7. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

Thx aagin muddybuddy

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

why do you have to go cross over to do 52s? does the spring/hangar get in the way of the steering arms or something?

9. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

the axle is moved forward 2" with the 52's thus the draglink won't be long enough, plus with the added flex of the 52's good luck steering when the suspension is all twisted up

10. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

You could always get a longer draglinkage or zero rates right? We were thinking of doing this swap on a friends burb but I doubt itd be worth it at all for him to go crossover now ...or ever really

11. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

witha little work you can mount the 52s so that the axle stays in the same place but that seems like a lot of work to get flex when you could just get some 4" tuff country ez rides.

The point of 52s is to get lift (~4") and move the axle forward to gain approach angle

12. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

And they're cheap.

13. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Yeah thats why my friend wanted to do it...but crossover....not so cheap