Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK, So How About A Ford 6.9 or 7.3? Chuck The 6.2...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by uglytruk, Jun 13, 2006.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Admit it guys, the 6.2 ain't nothin special, and I'm no fan of Fords. But what about the 6.9 or 7.3? I see them on eBay, cheap. Not so much so with the shooty 6.2... :eek1: I'll never do it, but I'd consider swapping an International (that's what's in a Ford?) before I'd overpay for a staight six. :haha:

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

aren't the engines you suggested super heavy? maybe not too suitable for a wheeler. maybe a tow-er tho.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

What I saw!...

The best diesel conversion I've seen done was in a 1974 C30 dually...the truck's 454 had spun a bearing,and the owner,a trailer salesman that sold campers and mobile homes decided he'd had enough of the gas hogging BBC,and he swapped in an Isuzu straight 6 diesel out of a big "box" truck he had,that hit a low bridge and was totaled..(the foreruner of the "Duramax"??)....the motor fit nicely in the engine compartment,and he also used the 5 speed overdrive the engine came with factory..if not for the different location of the shifter,and the shift lever appearence,you'd never know anthing was changed by looking at the truck,inside or out!..he said it wasn't the big ordeal we thought it would be to convert it..easier than he thought actually...

The guy used to haul mobile homes from the factory in Indiana, to here in the northeast...he claimed he could do a round trip on what he'd spend one way for gas with the 454,and he never had to downshift on a hill anymore--he said it would cruise at 80 mph like nothing while towing!..he estimated his fuel mileage somewhere between 16 and 20 mpg fully loaded!...I'm not sure if it had a turbo,I dont think it did...wish I bought that truck,he offered it to me and my brother for 1500 bucks,because the cab and rockers were getting too rotted to pass inspection,when he decided to retire and sell his bussiness...:doah: ...:crazy:

I've also seen 2 GM trucks with Perkins diesels swapped in--they were straight six motors too..one was for sale at a swap meet for 2500 bucks,and it was being bought just as I walked up to look at it!..the guy had a "spare"motor just like the one in the truck for 150 bucks..I was VERY tempted,but I didn't buy it..

4. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

5. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

What is wrong with the 6.2L?

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nothing wrong with the 6.2 in my books either...

I've driven a Ford 6.9 NA with manual tranny for a few years (it was my Dad's) and the power levels and reliabilty/fuel mileage were pretty much identical to the 6.2 I currently have. One is International and the other is Detroit.........

Biggest problem I see is when glow plugs, GP controllers, GP relays, injectors and IP's have been neglected. That applies to any diesel though. Take care of those issues with a 6.2 and you have a reliable. fuel efficient diesel with more than adequate acceleration if geared correctly.

If you're going to start comparing new turbo diesel's to the NA 6.2 then you should re-evaluate. Might as well compare the 6.2 to a Keith Black 540 while you're at it, it's about as relevant.

Rene

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I like mine ok...

I have nothing against my 6.2...its not that sluggish,gets 16-22 mpg,and its a diesel!!:D --I can soot out any tailgaters!..:bow: ...its perhaps not GM's best diesel,but it certainly isn't a dawg like the abortion 350 Olds based failure was!..

After driving my brothers 2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 ,with a Duramax and an Allison tranny though,I will say the 6.2 IS a dinosour compared to "todays" diesels--..but I'll have no elecrtical problems with a computerized injection pump,and can run any fuel that will burn in my truck!..and it a hell of a lot easier to work on--I'd hate to change the injectors on HIS truck!(and I hear many early Duramax's had faulty injectors,and its a 5 hour tour to change them all..)..mine are probably original!:wink1:

I love that old IHC in the photos!..whose diesel is that in there??..looks like it might be a Nissan ,like the scouts had for a few years..but I'm not very good at guessing which diesels are which,I havent seen all that many of all the different ones out there...

I know a guy who has 3 of those trucks (4x4's too!),but they all have gas motors,straight 6 "Diamond" engines,one has a 345 transplanted in it..TOUGH trucks,but TOUGHER to find the right parts for!..if you lost the "build" sheet on an IHC truck,you are screwed when trying to order the right parts..seems they used whichever manufacturer had a sale on axles and front end parts on those trucks!--a parts mans nightmare!..they seem to run forever though...:crazy:

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have a perkins in my K5, I loved it while the blazer lasted.
    Now I am parting it out and am considering selling the engine with the bell and all required accessories.
    Any one in CA interested?

9. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

The IH has a Mitsubooshi from a cab-over box truk. Notice the little turbo.. Just a local guy with ambition. Relatively simple installation.Might go visit him and shoot the shoot and get more pix whem my wife isn't squwaacking... :eek1:

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I can understand where you're coming from with the Navstar 6.9/7.3. If I where to really pump one up (dual turbo, waste gated, propane) the Navstar has got the "beef" to back it up (Ooow 4 bolt mains). BUT that's one heavy MO FO. I remember working at a F*rd dealer years ago and moving Navstar cores around (we handled ALOt of med-trucks). Those things made a F*rd 460 gasser (a heavy big block in it own right) seem light weight. :eek1:

11. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

...and I thought I wuz the only one getting a little bent outa' shape when a thread goes haywire...

I wasn't comparing "old" deezels to new ones, I was insinuating that the 6.2 was a light duty or "entry level" unit. I am in possesion of an intro, dealer only-dozen page pamphlet. I will post a couple pix of it in the next panel. We may even see it in its entirety.

Getting back to my agenda... My query wuz; could the 6.9/7.3 be a "mans" motor and the 6.2, 6.5 a "teenagers 1st truk" motor?

A good friend of mine refers to them as 'school bus motors". I may poke around the Ford site... My thoughts of all the cylinder head probs, main cap web cracks(?), dual thermostat upgrade, stupid PMD placement, inj pump recall, etc...

I just thought about the overpriced Cummins, and that if the 6.9/7.3 was so heavy, how come it's not as popular as the Dodge??? And Dog truks, well, you now know how I feel... it wuz all downhill starting with the Corinthian Leather... Da Plane, Da plane...

12. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

6.2 Pamphlet, circa 1981...

Maybe this'll get posted properly...

6.2 Diesel Handbook 001.jpg

6.2 Diesel Handbook 006.jpg

6.2 Diesel Handbook 007.jpg

6.2 Diesel Handbook 003.jpg

13. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I'm putting a '93 6.5 TD in mine...they're quite good, aren't they?
    In the process of searching on info for 454-6.5 - swap.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  14. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Is this required on the 6.2?

GM Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel Cooling Upgrade Kit

SSDiesel Supply's 6.5TD cooling solutionItem number: 8075473786[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Seller of this item? Sign in for your status Watch this item in My eBay | Email to a friend | Sell one like this
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

View larger picture[​IMG][​IMG]Starting bid:US $325.00 " name=input_bid>[​IMG] [​IMG] price: US $340.00 " name=input_bin>End time:Jun-21-06 04:52:00 PDT (3 days)Shipping costs:US $18.75
    UPS GroundShips to:United States, CanadaItem location:Kenmore, NY, United StatesHistory:0 bidsYou can also:Watch this itemEmail to a friend | Sell one like this

15. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Pretty? is a 6.5 "PRETTY"...

Always wondered how "pretty" got into the contextual lexicon???

If I've poked at hornets nest, I apolagize. :o In Montreal one sees "tons" of 6.2/6.5's. They go 300 k regularly, but the amount of Goodwrench motors I also see leeds me to believe that they get changed somewhat(?) more often than usual, and shops are reluctantant to rebuild 'em, IE Jasper. Maybe I'll email em... I'm still curious about a "professional" opinion...

16. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Who said pretty?

What are you talking about? :D :wink1: :p: :haha:

17. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Pretty nice, pretty slow, pretty good, pretty silly??? What's pretty got to do with nice, slow,silly, etc... Pretty stupid, IMO

18. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Never thought about it much. Who knows? :dunno: Who cares? :D

19. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

First of all 6.2 is a good diesel for what it is.You'll never get any real power with out spending money!

Why are saying that Cummins are over priced ?
    1) The power that they can make (no money ) just time.
    2) They last longer,parts are alway's in stock.
    3) They don't have the problems that the other diesel have(older ones)

CrewCab59

20. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Just a little concerned about the "weaknesses" of the 6.2, not the weakness. I've got 2 Banks Turbos looking for trucks... Ran one for several months 'till I melted a piston. That kind of weakness... but it also had 160k of "oil change?" what's that???