Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok, so i bought a dually to tow my blazer a while back....

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Seventy4Blazer, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

No i have a 16 foot 7k trailer to tow the blazer on.
    Yes, i know, 7klbs.. bla blah blah. but see it this way, the 12,500lbs gooseneck is on the way in a few montsh. till then i have to settle for a 16 foot 7klbs trailer with less than 3k miles on it. picked it up for a grand with ramps, and spare. its a 82 inch deck, so no pushing over fenders. also the blazer is not anywhere near 7k right now. all the stuff i will be putting in the back of it might make it around 6klbs we will see.

anywho, pics will be on the way. its kind of flimsy in my eyes, but will get me to cali and then once the gooseneck is affordable ill sell it, or maybe keep it and use it as well. i duuno.
    Grant

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No i have a 16 foot 7k trailer to tow the blazer on.
    Yes, i know, 7klbs.. bla blah blah. but see it this way, the 12,500lbs gooseneck is on the way in a few montsh. till then i have to settle for a 16 foot 7klbs trailer with less than 3k miles on it. picked it up for a grand with ramps, and spare. its a 82 inch deck, so no pushing over fenders. also the blazer is not anywhere near 7k right now. all the stuff i will be putting in the back of it might make it around 6klbs we will see.

anywho, pics will be on the way. its kind of flimsy in my eyes, but will get me to cali and then once the gooseneck is affordable ill sell it, or maybe keep it and use it as well. i duuno.
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

If you will end up in CA, I might take it off your hands once you're done with it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    That is if you are not looking at getting rich off of it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Grant, what's the deal, I thought you got the gooseneck already? Are they not going to deliver it for a while? The reason I ask, your post reads you are going to sell the gooseneck once you get it. I'm intrested in the goosneck. I recently purchased a 99 Dodge Diesel Cummins 1 ton dulley. And I am currenlty looking to purchase a goosneck.

My plans are to mount the camper permantly on the front of the goosneck and tow the blazer on the back.

What are your plans with the goosneck? Is it going too sit once you receive it????

Let me know, maybe I can help you out somehow?

Let me know.

Rob

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Grant, what's the deal, I thought you got the gooseneck already? Are they not going to deliver it for a while? The reason I ask, your post reads you are going to sell the gooseneck once you get it. I'm intrested in the goosneck. I recently purchased a 99 Dodge Diesel Cummins 1 ton dulley. And I am currenlty looking to purchase a goosneck.

My plans are to mount the camper permantly on the front of the goosneck and tow the blazer on the back.

What are your plans with the goosneck? Is it going too sit once you receive it????

Let me know, maybe I can help you out somehow?

Let me know.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missread his post.
    He will sell the 7k trailer as soon as he has the Gooseneck.
    I would buy either off him but I am pretty sure he meant the 7k.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

my plans were to get the gooseneck from american spring down here in Yuma. the price was awesome and i can get you a name and number for TJ. Marv may also have the number.

i didnt get it due to some medical bills i had to pay. i am still going to get it, but am also looking at a 14klbs one as well.
    i just need the cash now. that will take a bit of time. as for selling the trailer, ill sell it for the same price i paid for it, maybe a bit less. talking about the 16 foot one.

the gooseneck will be holding my blazer and the porsche or BMW i will be buying in a couple weeks.
    i need a gas getter. so im looking at 80's BMW's and porkas.

the gooseneck was not even started on the fab table yet. just the plans were drawn up.
    it was going to be about 5400.00 for the trailer, brake controller, and ball being installed.

ill get you the number monday.
    Grant

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    also the blazer is not anywhere near 7k right now. all the stuff i will be putting in the back of it might make it around 6klbs we will see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as a side note, typically the trailer rating is the GVW (gross vehicle weight). This is NOT the capacity of the trailer, but the total weight including the empty trailer. If the trailer has a GVWR of 7,000 lbs. you have to subtract the empty weight of the trailer and that gives you capacity. The average weight of a 16' 7k GVW tandem axle car trailer seems to be around 1,500 lbs., so the trailer can only haul 5,500 lbs.

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so the trailer can only haul 5,500 lbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

No the trailer is rated at that, but face it, if you got a good deal on a locomotive and needed to haul it you would put it on there. LOL...

John

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    so the trailer can only haul 5,500 lbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

No the trailer is rated at that, but face it, if you got a good deal on a locomotive and needed to haul it you would put it on there. LOL...

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah what some people confuse is the hitch or ball rating with the trailer rating.
    The hitch you use should be rated at the total weight of the trailer and the load on it, the trailer rating is for what it carries.
    That is why the 10k trailer uses 5200lb axles and they say rated at 9900lbs, since the bed would be about 500lbs, and the axles about 700-900, you see where I am getting at.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I've been told that the trailer's GVWR is just that -- the gross vehicle weight rating. So like our trucks GVWR, it is the maximum amount that the trailer and cargo should weigh combined. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

GVWR = tare wt + Cargo wt