Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok, so I need a monitor for the camera on my blazer..where to find one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Aug 16, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Ok my inner bling has runnith free and I bought a color, water proof camera to mount on the front of my blazer lookin at the suspension. The whole point of this is to have a camera pointed at my front diff, this would really help while navigating over rocks or small cars /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also plan to add one that I will locate on the rear bumper on the passenger side looking forward, this will help in that area too, for those faultys spotters. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But I need a screen, so I could go buy a $200.1000.00 screen or a cheap 30.00 5.5 travel tv that is black and white. I am leaning towards a lcd flat screen if I can find a decent price on one. I also plan to hook up gps to this and use a invirted line/signal switch to change from camera to GPS.

I just was wondering if any one knows where or how I can get a lcd screen, maby one used in machinery applications or on industrial equipment?

Hook me up /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

wow thats gonna be alot of bling bling /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. supersize75

first the paint, then the chrome shift handle for an auto...what is wrong with me /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You beat me to it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I had the same idea for a front camera....something to help direct the placement of the PS Front tire.

There are a TON of small LCD screens out there......one of the few BENEFITS of the whole "SUV-Soccer-Mom craze" was that they also needed DVD players for the kids..... the pricing on the little headrest displays has been dropping like crazy!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Some considerations to, well....consider:

Being a full convertible makes you among the coolest of the cool ( /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) but it also means that when wheeling, there's a good chance that you (and your dash) will be basking in sunshine. That's going to "wash out" the LCD panels without much contrast ratio or low output.

Video switching: Hey if you're going to do it, maybe you should get the MOST from your new BLING. How about making the screen a "flip down" deal where the rearview mirror is? Mount a camera behind your truck and use the display to as your "mirror" when driving on the street? I suppose you could also setup a camera to look at the HUGE blind spot we all have on the passenger side of our trucks (the one where you can't even see someone directly beside you due to the lift)

Why not even have it able to accept line inputs somewhere on the dash, so that you can play videos through it??? You know, around the campfire at night you can watch the "footage of the day"???

I like the idea a LOT (can you tell?).....and someday that bling will reside in my vehicle too. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

"....it will be mine, oh yes..........it will be mine" - Waynes World

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Maybe you could add a scent detector that would guide the truck to the selected channel on the scentoroma meter. Like channel 1. for food 2. for sex 3. for beer. Maybe not that order.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I suppose you could also setup a camera to look at the HUGE blind spot we all have on the passenger side of our trucks (the one where you can't even see someone directly beside you due to the lift)

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's where I'm mounting mine. I'm looking at this setup - I like that the screen is part of the rear view mirror - and you can add other cameras or another screen (GPS, vid, etc.) I'd probably add another camera for the pass side blind spot. in addition to a rear view camera.

camera

7. supersize75

Being that I wont be running doors or a top I plan tp have a removable screen, I had consided the cheap black and white 5.5 tv with the cheapy radio and all. This runs off battery or a cigeret plug in. This is the cheapest and easy to remove. As for the mounting I considered under the dash or on the hump in the floor.

The flat screen would be what I want though, I could easily get quick disconects for the wires to remove it.

As for the blind spot, I figure I will get a sticker on the wheel well that says...

speed up more to see driver..your in my blind spot baby!

Alos I have a friend who is making a sign for my dash that will say...

By entering this vehicle you accept the risk that at ANY time driver may loose control and your life and well being is at stake, by reading this you just aggreed to this disclamer!!! Bwaha,hahahaha!

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you beat me to the install, but i beat you to the parts and idea.
    a few years back i scored a 9 inch color tv/VCR for 50 dollars with a remote and built in inverter. its for an RV. they run about 179.00 or so for a nice one.
    i picked up a 12v DC B&W ccd camera from radioshack for like 40 dollars. have yet to install it, but the TV is gonna be mounted into the dash and the cameras main point will be in the rear bumper.
    BUT moveable so i can use it for the same thing as you.
    and record nice shots or plate numbers of tailgaters.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    anyway, check a local TV place. walmart has them to.
    Grant

9. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Ive already done this and run a 6" flat screen little Tv with a tilt down display. It also can run to the vcr under the seat and record. I built the camera myself from a kit because at the time they didnt have something so small (3 years ago). I did it because I sit up so freaking high and cant see children who sit there and point and run up to the blazer when im BACKING UP. I just flip the screen up out of the way when im done and now im legal. You can see its set up on my site. There is also a port on the front for a front mounted cam but havent really needed it. Its cool to use when wheeling and watching people behind you.

10. supersize75

I looked at walmart tonight and couldn't find crap, what section in walmart? auto or tv /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

11. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Where'd you get the cameras at?