Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok, so i went to canada this weekend to visit rene...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Jul 23, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

he was hooking me up with his 465/205 and driveshafts for my rig, as my 700 went out about 3 months ago. had quite the trip. i had to borrow my buddy's '84 6.2L diesel. it's got some issues - the engine doesn't like to make belts last long and the detent cable on the th350 isn't set up right, so it is slow.

the sunset on friday nite as we were driving up I5 was un-freaking-believable! anyway, we're (wife and me) driving and it's about 8:45 and my alternator belt goes. we're about 25 minutes from the nearest city (centralia) and so we called up TSGB and he found a belt for us there. we met him, put the belt on just before dark so we could have some headlites (we would be driving for
    another 1.5 hours). so we get the belt on and notice the powersteering belt is almost shot (bad thing on these diesels b/c the brakes are related to the p/s pump), but nothing's open, so we keep pressing on. well, pretty soon i notice the voltmeter reading really low, and i'm thinking the alternator is shot b/c this truck doesn't seem to like to keep alternators going for very long either. so i'm just hoping that the batteries will provide me enough power to make the headlights look legal till we get to our destination. i'm getting kinda nervous, but we make it to sumner washington alright.

next morning, i get up and go buy a bunch of spare belts and notice that my alternator belt had simply stretched, so i tightened it up and had power again (i replaced the p/s belt). after waiting for an hour to go thru customs we get to rene's place later that afternoon.

we do a little bbq'ing and then pull the tranny out. have some pizza, beers and enjoy the evening. he's a real great guy and his family is great too. we go to bed and at about 4 am, my wife and i wake up b/c it's so hot in the room we're staying in (upstairs, it had been about 100*, and no a/c), which was fine, but we got up and went and sat out side his place for a while to cool down. claire noticed a thermometer, it read 84* at 4 in the morning - in canada! anyway, we cooled off, went to bed and got up a few hours later.rene and i pulled the clutch linkage and then claire and i headed home.

we sat in line at customs for about an hour and a half, and then had to have our vehicle searched b/c they were uncomfortable w/ me bringing that tranny home, but it all worked out ok. so, we got about 15 mpg in that diesel averaging 65-70 mph with a very poorly adjusted detent cable, and spending a total of about something just shy of 2 hours idling. :D

anyway, here's some pics.

sunset 2 ck5.jpg

sunset 3 ck5.jpg

nathaniel giving me the finger.jpg

colby and rene ck5.JPG

cherry picker ck5.JPG

2. colbystephens

more pics.

rene with hanging trans.JPG

pulling the bellhousing ck5.JPG

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, for some reason that last pic is funny as chiat. lol!! :grin:

sounds like a good eventful trip!

j

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Good having you and Claire here Colby. Don't ya just love the customs guys? I know they have an important job to do, but some sure seem to really like to drag you over the coals...

Maybe if there weren't so many idiots trying to smuggle drugs across it'd be easier for the rest of us.

Looks like i shoulda shaved my face before the camera came out, damn am i ugly!! :doah: :haha:

Rene

5. colbystephens

:haha: :haha: :haha: i could have used a shave too. :) don't worry about being ugly - at least ya got a good lookin wife. :D that's what keeps my head high. :haha:

6. tRustyK5

Yeah, good thing i got a ring on her before I got to looking this bad huh? :haha:

Rene

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a fun trip. Also sounds like you probably could have found a better vehicle to borrow to go on it. :haha: The border is always fun. They darn near strip searched me when I went to Canada last year.

8. tRustyK5

The sound of rubber gloves being put on should strike fear into your heart...

Rene

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I made a $1.54 on a markup for that belt... :D

Cool finally meeting someone from CK5!

I met my goal of getting a picture of one of the two behind the camera, but it came out fuzzy...

10. colbystephens

gr8 sig material. :D

11. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Haha... luckily it didn't go that far.

So, how in depth did they search your rig and yourself when you went through and back?

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Rene is a handsome fella. :D

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Who's that skinny little runt standing beside you in the 3rd picture??? Damn, that boy needs some meat on his scrawny bones!!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

14. tRustyK5

You know it's hot when I'm wearing shorts and showing the world my chicken legs... :doah: :doah:

Rene

15. colbystephens

i assume by the laughter that you know it's nathaniel - TSGB? :wink1:

16. colbystephens

i forgot to mention a funny story - before i left i had to pick up a trip permit b/c my buddy's truck wasn't registered. i am driving thru lake oswego, and this cop pulls me over b/c my plates are bad from last year. he asks what's up, so i tell him, "ok, here's the story. this is my buddy's truck and i'm borrowing it from him this weekend to go to canada to get a transmission which will go into my truck which is just like this one. i'm on my way to the dmv to pick up a trip permit, and i couldn't go to the one near my house b/c they don't do vin inspections, and since this is an out of state vehicle it requires a vin inspection to get the permit. since it requires the vin inspection, i had to drive it to the dmv, thus, here i am." he takes my papers and sits in his car for 30 seconds, then comes back and says, "well, wheather or not your story is true, i don't care, but you got one heck of a story, so i'm not going to ticket you." :D :D :D

17. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Sorry Can Can, I only spent three months digging ditches. Not quite long enought to come out beefcakey like your ass! :D