Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok so im installing this tranny temp. gauge..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jul 14, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

its a B&M..says to put the sender in the oil return line...wouldnt it make more sence to put it in the out line though? cause thats the temp of the fluid coming out uncooled...not the cooled stuff going back in!?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I will be putting mine in the out going line to monitor the tranny fluid /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i guess im going to..makes more sense..ok cool..

4. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

got a PN???

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

i thought the same thing when i read those B&M instructions! WTF? but a long conversation with the local tranny shop explained it this way...

The fluid on it's way TO the cooler and has already done it's job. The damage is done, the heat is in place.

Once it goes through your cooling setup (radiator, aux cooler, etc), it's on it's way back to go to work again.

That's the critical temp.

What temp oil are you FEEDING the transmission? If it's overheated coming back around for round 2 (or 3, or 23), that is when the damage get's done.

It sorta made sense after a couple beers, and deceided that's what i'd do. I'm thinking that i'll get a 2nd sending unit and a toggle switch so we can see both sides of the equation.

It's a minority that installs that way, but I like seeing COOL fluid on it's way to work!
    BTW, rarely does mine get to 180, and that's pulling a HUGE hotel as well. Frequent service/change (annual change with towing; bi-annual flush) seems to extend life as well.

(and apparently it's not the popular vote!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

put it in the pan. that is what temp the oil going into the tranny will be at. not "cooled" not "hot" but what it is actually running.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Zakk is very correct with his answer. The tranny pan is the best place for a temp sender for a tranny temp guage.

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Put sensor in the tranny pan....

Recommended temp. for a 700R4 is 150 degrees, get a bigger cooler....

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well its already in the out line so thats done. i had to reaplce most of my cooler lines anyhow. started it up and it started spittin ATF out..so i gatta patch it with a peice of hose tomorrow..then it should be good..and i can mount and hook up the gauge and see what it does.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

make sure the hose likes tranny fluid....

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i would assume it would work ok cause it came with my B&M cooler.

12. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

just remember that if you put the sending unit in a rubber line that you have to ground it well before the gauge will work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Ignato

Ignato Registered Member

I got the same b&m tranny temp guage from checker. Didn't come with instructions, and seems to me it had WAY to many little "doodad" parts so I decided to not use it and I returned it. (That was the only one they had) So I was thinking about getting one of them digital trans temp guages out or jc whitney or jegs or something. But I don't have the money or the time to be drilling holes in the pan for the sender. I might go see if I can find the b&m guage with an in line sender again, hopefully WITH instructions. Was it pretty easy to install?

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oh yea with a few simple tools its a sinch. its just that my tranny lines were sh!t and all rusted so i had to replace those to..you just need a good tube cutter..and some brass couplers..which it comes with...half the parts that come with it you dont even need, there just there in /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gifcase i still need to do the wiring..which is real easy if you got a whole in your firewall like me..ganna go do that now.

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I always thought the a good place to put it was in one of the pressure test ports. What thread are they (are they just pipe thread)? Would this not be a good idea? Which one whould work best?

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

is there a way i could have a sending unit in both lines and a switch to switch from sender to sender?