Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok so im looking for electric fans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Aug 29, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

No, people have used fans from Ford cars and mini vans before. That setup may have potential and is cheap too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Most of the posts that I've seen that involve electric fans end up with guys saying that the fans out of a Tore-ass work good. I'm sure that the fans you found, being from a probe, can't be much different. The company that I work for as a co-op, Valeo, has a section of our lab that the vehicle cooling systems department tests in... I'm working on scoring myself a good dual fan setup out of our lab.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If ya go 'yard scrounging for an electric, look in the Ford 3.8L, early '90's for the two speed fan. It will be a three wire system.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmmm my moms got a 94 taurus...i cant take the fan from it lol..but it would be in there right!? its a 3.8

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Heres what 95 Ford Winstar Fans look like.
    I have used these and been very pleased.
    The Probe fans in your link are similar, just a smaller shroud. The Winstar, with a little trimming, fits the radiator very well.
    I paid around $100/ea for some of these.
    [​IMG]

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

So what, are you hording(sp?) all those fans?? How many does one person need anyways? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. 88Silverado

It was part of a group purchase on a Chevelle site.
    Only 2 of those units were mine /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Heres a link where you can buy new Ford Fans or at least see what different kind they offer and what a couple of them look like.
    Ford Fans

Heres a link to the guys page that got me started on the Winstar fans Fan installation

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so would the ford taurus fan be fine for cooling by itself? or are two fans a better idea? can u switch them all to push or pull? i like the two speed fan idea

10. 88Silverado

The purpose of the fan is to move air over the radiator when there is not enough airflow from the vehicle moving. In order for the radiator to work to its maximum capacity, it has to have airflow across "all" the fins. A single fan does not cover the complete radiator. However, in some applications a single fan may provide enough airflow to get you through.

I have seen single fans in front as a pusher to supplement the stock fan while offroading and I have seen them set as a puller inside the existing fan shroud while again retaining the stock fan.
    From the pics ive seen of the taurus fan shows approximately 1/2 of the radiator gets covered. The Lincoln Mark-VIII Single fan will cover about 3/4 and the winstars cover about 100% because the built-in shroud covers the radiator. The Winstar and Mk-VIII are a popular swap on performance Chevelles because of the fit and cooling.
    You might also want to look at the fans from 2nd gen Camaros and Trans-Am's.

If I was going to go through the trouble I would want to maximize cooling effectivness. Measure your radiator in many locations then decide on what type of setup you want to try. Heres the measurements of the Winstar fans:
    18"H x 30-1/4"L x 6-1/2D at the deepest point

You can wire up dual fans many ways so one or other runs from thermal or toggle or both together or......

Bubba has done the Taurus fan swap and I think theres a writeup on Pirate for more info there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i read the wright up on pirate and it sucked. it didnt tell he wired it or anything. didnt give the info i was looking for really.

would something like this work out of a newer camaro?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2430528942&category=33600
    my main point is i want to know what fans would provide enough cooling power. i like the two speed idea from the taurus though. and does a fan install require an altinator with an higher output...as i hear they seem to draw a lot..? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. 88Silverado

That fan setup doesnt look like it will fit your radiator very well. You need to measure your radiator and determine whats going to fit. I know guys who are running the Winstar fans on big-blocks with good luck. I referenced a webpage above giving details and wiring ideas.

If you have the 105A (cs-130) altrnator, your probably OK. If you start running air, external lights and the fans constantly running, it might be close.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The two speed Ford fans have three wires. They are commonly found on the early 3.8L engines. And there are sites alou on the 'Net with wiring diagrams.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How big a fan should I run on mine if I'm just going to use it in addition to my 7 blade mechanical fan?

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok something im unsure of...is why on these dual fan setups there is a bigger and a larger fan..what is the point or purpose in this? this probe fan setup i was thinking of snatching has a 12" and a 14" and each moter has 3 wires so im guessing its a 2 speed fan.

16. 88Silverado

Yes, most of the Ford fans are 2-speed.
    I dont know what the advantage would be to running them in the slow speed, just crank them on and get the cooling.
    The two different sizes are because one fan (I believe its the larger one but could be mistaken) is normally the only one that goes on when it needs cooling, the second fan goes on when the airconditioning is in use. Also, you can maximize the flow by using one large. The different speeds are usually controlled by the engine computer.

If you are going to use one in conjunction with the existing fan, I think virtually anyone will work to supplement the flow.

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

but you can still wire the other fan to come on cant you?

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah wire them both to 12v and they'll work fine.