Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok So Im TOPLESS....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, Apr 3, 2000.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Now what to do with the top?. I mean its huge and gets rid of alot of valuable shop space... So how do you store it? what methods are you using? Last time I had it setting on the floor someone accidentally kicked in my side window.

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Did you read the storage ideas in the technical section of this website?

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Look in the technical section here on ColoradoK5. There is an article on hard top storage ideas. I know a couple of guys that tie them off in the rafters of their garage. Good luck finding a place for it.

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
  5. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

BK, after you see the tech-section on the main page I've got a place for you to go. Not sure if there is one near you, but I went to a place called "Harbor Freight Tools" today at lunch (Val-Vista and Southern for the Zonies). Their ad shows stores around the USA.

Anyway, the tech section shows a pulley idea lifting the thing to the rafters. Well this tool store had a two pulley kit with nylon rope, that holds over 500lbs, and had double wheel pulleys. The whole kit was only $7 too. I've priced pulleys and for a double it was like $15 by itself. If you bought 4 of these things (only $28) you could easily lift it yourself to the rafters and then just secure the ropes.

Just thought I'd pass that along. It looks like a block and tackle set up where the rope loops about three times before it anchors to the lower pulley. And 'm sure someone could explain it a heck of a lot better than I did [​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, based on The Weather Channel, my Oregonian friend, you will need to PUT IT BACK ON! haha Unless you have a daily driver and can leave the Blue Knight in the garage for about 3 months!!! LOL......can't wait to get back to the rain!

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Feel lucky you don't have to deal with a full top!!
    I,m thinking of just selling off the hard top and go full time convertable. Here in Central California I could probably get away with it! Thease damn tops are heavy and awkward to move........

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Last year my cousin was whining about how heavy and bulky the top was. I finally got sick of it and lifted it myself on my back, leg pressed my way into the back of and slid it into position myself. And yes my nickname is OX. also you have any problems with the damn threads sliding around in the holes? I mean its great ot have the top but its a pain to do it yourself.

9. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Did the same kinda thing myself. Had stored my top
    at my buddy's house and it looked like rain.
    Backed the rear of the truck into a ditch so that
    the gate was low enough to step up onto, hoisted
    the top onto my back and shoulders, and step on
    into the back.How much do these damn things weigh,
    anyways? BTW-nickname "TREEMAN" 6-4 250# dont try
    this at home. LOL Of course, my buddy got home two minutes after I got done.