Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok, so it's not Emmett, but.. I have a K5 to wheel again! *PICS ADDED* Update 9/13

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I've decided to title this "PROJECT 90 - Phase I - Back to basics budget build"

Ok, so I've been really itching to wheel lately... My Toyota is still a long way away from being close to done... Emmett's tub is in really bad shape... So it left me with only one choice.. I bought another K5!!! It is going to be a budget build for now.

This one is a 1990 K5 Silverado. Power everything and A/C!! It has a TBI350, 700r4, 241. Originally it came with 10bolts that had 3.42's and some 31's.

Friday night I borrowed my Fathers trailer and headed out to pick it up.. It has sat in a field for the last 3-4 years. A few weeks ago I stopped and looked it over. The back window was busted out a long time ago so I figured the back floor was gone. This thing had the normal rot in the passenger rear footwell corners. But it was worse than I had seen before. The drivers side rock is gone, but the passenger side is still decent. The quarter lips are rusted as well as the drivers side fender, but the passenger side fender doesn't have a mark on it.

This Blazer was bought new by a friend of mine's father back in 90. Had loved the rig since it first arrived at their house. And it finally came up for sale a few months ago. I had pondered for a while about buying it. Was possibly thinking of buying it just for the drivetrain.. But once I got it home, I decided to just throw the lift i had under Emmett under this rig and wheel it.

So friday night, after I got it home and put the trailer away, I started tearing into it. The rear carpet had moss growing on it and was soaked from the tailgate up to the rear seat. Figured the floor was gone and I'd be in the same boat as Emmett. But As I started the peel back the carpet and insulation, I was astonished to find a close to mint rear floor!! Yep you read it correctly, the rear floor is almost mint!!!! This is almost unheard of in this neck of the woods, especially after sitting in a field with the back window out of it!!!!!! Looked underneath and the body mounts were solid as was the underside of the flooring! Only had a few small bubbles in the piant here and there. I couldn't believe it!!!

Early saturday morning I started onthe suspension teardown. Got the old axles out and ready for the new ones. Had to pull the axles out of Emmet while it sat in the weeds. Let me tell you how much fun that was! :doah: Actually the front came out with ease, it was the back that I had fun with! Emmett was surrounded by pine bushes that are about 8ft tall. I only had about 2 ft of room all aroudn the blazer so it was tight quarters.

Sunday I woke up early and pulled the rear axle out of Emmet the rest of the way. Took me about 2 hours with the working in tight quarters and only having one floor jack... By the end of the day Sunday I had the front axle bolted up with the 6" Superlift springs... The back axle was in place, but I need to get new u-bolts.

Monday I worked on it a little. Found that the line for the charcoal canister was rusted out and the rear brake line was also. Then came across the front brake lines and they were toast too. Also need to replace the lower line for the tranny fluid since it sprung a leak getting on the trailer. So I took all my measurements and a list of what i need to pick up tonight after work since it was Labor Day and all the parts stores were closed. Once I get the brakelines routed and the new tranny line in place, I'll be close to ready!

For now this rig will have a D44 front with 4.09's and a welded diff. The rear is a 12 bolt with 4.10's and is welded also. The tires will be 35x12.50x15 BFG A/T's on stock 15x8 rallies. This time around it is a total budget build with only the nessecities being bought. Not sure what I'll hve in all the replacement lines, but I'll also buy some plugs, cap and rotor.... But I bet I will have under $100 in all of that stuff.

Once i get it together and driveable, I will post a list of what I had to buy to get it going as well as the purchase price to see what the grand total is for this budget build-up. :D

I took some pics along the way, but forgot my camera today. Will post them asap!!!

Looking for suggestions on how to preserve the rear floor. Was thinking of sanding down the bubbled spots and spraying them with some rust stop paint and then use some truck bedliner spray or rubberized under coating and covering the top. Underneath, once i am done with the lift and working on it, I may spray it down with some used oil. I hear that works best around here.....

:thumb:

First pic is the Blazer as I got, just up on jack stands.

Second pic is the rear floor. The stuff you see on it is just insulation debris. No marks on the floor itself at all. The tailpan is going a little at the tailgate hinges and where it attaches to the quarters, but I'll try and curb that... :D

Third pic is the corner where the tailpan attaches to the quarter... Thats the worst spot in the back. Trying to think how I'll fix that...

Fourth pic is the Blazer on Sunday with the 4.10 axles under it and the 6" lift! Weird thing is that the rear just has the stock springs and 3" blocks right now. ANd it's sitting pretty level. I know the front springs are broke in a worn some, but I may just leave it like that for now. Took some measurements and the rear is only sitting 1/2" lower than the front.

P9030062.JPG

P9030069.JPG

P9030070.JPG

P9040076.JPG

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  2. Emmettology 101

Oh, and I also forgot. Do I need the charcoal canister? I dont have one in my 89 p/u and it runs fine and doesn't throw any codes. Can I just plug the line coming out of the gas tank for the canister and then also plug off the canister? From what I have heard in the past, it is just an emissions item that recirculates gas vapors....

3. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Face it ,you're an addict....Can't wait for pics.:D

4. Emmettology 101

Yes, I can not and will not say otherwise! :D Had Emmet for years and parked it cause of the floor. Would've fixed the floor but got a sweet deal on my bros 86 K5... Then after selling it and buying getting the Toy, I still was jones'n for a K5! :D

If all goes well with this one. Over the winter it will probably get: D60, 14FF, 52's and 63's, cage, etc. Basically the works! :D May even do the cage sooner. Just want to do the budget build for now since funds are low and gas prices are through the roof.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you should buy that K-30 off of Jerry (jk5)

6. Emmettology 101

Is he selling it already? I have a D60 and 14 bolt. Even have the 5.13's and king pin rebuilds for the front. JUst need to get the gears and stuff for the rear and a front locker. :thumb:

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool Mike...but how long will it be before you change your mind??? :p:

Yep...the WEB WHEELER MUD is right...the k30 is for sale.
    Nice guess on his part... :rolleyes:

After tearing-up my body...buggy is my option now. :doah:

8. Emmettology 101

LOL, no mind changing on this one. It's is almost ready to go. Was hoping to have it ready for tomorrow night, but I burnt myself out this weekend. So barring any complications, it will be driveable by next Thursday and will be at Truck night!!!! :thumb:

Just have to fix a few lines and figure out why it is idling so high. But it has sat for a few years so the TB may be a bit gum'd up! :D

9. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

Man I am so happy I do not have to deal with rust. Personally I would have overlooked that K5 because of the rust issues.

Uhhggghhh I got goosebump and chills thinking of the work involved in repairing that. I hate bondo-fiberglass and bodywork! Rust sucks.

10. Emmettology 101

Yes rust does suck and living up here with have to deal with it alot. Especially more so over the last few years since they switched to a liquid chemical compund to use ont he roads in the winters. It just loves to eat metal, wires, anything........ :doah:

But since this will be a wheeler, I wont be fixing much. Will just try and preserve the floor for now. It is very unusual to find a floor this nice in a K5 that has spent its whole life here. The rest will get some patches and thats it. The quarters wont see any work. Just the rockers which will get some 2x3 rock sliders. I will probably try and mend the back corners...

11. JK5

Cool.

Maybe I'll show up that weekend...going to Summit Saturday...
    and organizing a run in Clinton afterwords...you game???

I'm bringing my grill, for burgers and dogs. :wink1:

12. Emmettology 101

For now it wont have plates. And i dont have a trailer. Plus I will probably be finishing up over the weekend. But thanks for the invite!

13. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Holy crap, looks exactly like mine did when I first brought it home.

14. mudjunkie 82

What do you mean Web wheeler, We go every weelend....................Even those Heeps with the big 31's go out with us...................

15. Emmettology 101

MUD - you need to get some 44's and bring that truck to Yankee Lake some Thursday. They are paying $$ to get through the deep pit. It starts out at $100 and then goes up from there each night someone doesn't make it. Last Thursday a guy got $600! He was running rockwells on some huge tractors tires though.

16. mudjunkie 82

Got a set of 44" boggers on the way :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

17. JK5

LOL....I saw your rig on ebay...that's what I'm talking about. :wink1:
    I gotta bug yah...I haven't seen any real pics of your rig!!! :doah:

18. JK5

I can see Mud now...
    He'd be sitting on a 44 with a laptop...
    with a rope attached..being pulled by that rig!!!! :haha: :haha:

Sorry RICH!!!! :p:

19. Emmettology 101

:haha: :haha:

You're wrong.. ;) :D

20. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

if you get tired of working on rust, i have a body or 2 :D