Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok, so now i'm getting confused about starter gremlins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Sep 23, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

last night i went to start my truck and got absolutely nothing from the starter except a 1/2 second sizzling noise and after that, nothing. since i have the manual, i just dropped the clutch and got it running. i went and picked up a new starter today, and when i went out to the truck i decided to see if it would fire up, and sure enough, it did just fine. anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Im having this problem with my jeep... What do you have for volts? when mine does this it will usually start, then once shut off wont restart (its definetly not heat realted.) But the thing is the volts gauge show a very low reading... let it sit a few minutes and ittl start... so wtf???? volt gauge show up to 16 volts sometime but the alt is ok (it was just tested...) and its a new bat...i have no idea..

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'd go with the furd solenoid conversion. That fixed all my starting woes. Just make sure you carry a spare, cause afterall, it's a furd part and it likes to die. It's the same solenoid my winch uses anyway, so it all works out.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds to me like a dirty connection or a bad ground. Pull the cables off the battery and clean them then inspect all grounds and fix as required. Also check to make sure the cables at the starter are tight.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yup, my vote is cables or connections... the "sizzle" is the telltale.. Not uncommon for it to fire irratically after failing... The heat helps the connection...

Time for some monster cable and well done lugs...

6. colbystephens

ok, so i thought i had fixed the prob. i made some sexy battery cables not too long ago, and the solder came free of the cable inside one of the lugs, so i fixed it. and the thing fired up super crazy fast (actually seemed too fast! i can't let go of the key quick enough!) anyway, then this morning (relatively cool outside, maybe in the 60's?) i went to start it and got absolutely nothing. no click or anything. glow plugs came on just fine, had plenty of battery power. so i had a pretty sucky morning. fortunately my roommate broke his ankle yesterday so i could drive his car. anyway, that's beside the point. then tonite, similar temperature and weather conditions, i hopped in and the truck started up just as easy as ever! i still need to check the cables on the solenoid itself, but assuming these cables are all in good shape, is the next thing to consider the solenoid? i just replaced the solenoid 5 months ago. any ideas?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You still have a bad cable or connection somewhere...

Rene

8. colbystephens

ok, then i know what i'll be up to tomorrow. :)

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

If only we were all fortunate enough to have roommates with broken ankles...:crazy:

And as the old addage goes...."Go where man last was" if you're looking for something messed up. Check all the cable connections, especially if you messed with them sometime. If you replaced the solenoid 5 months ago, that very well could be the culprit. I've noticed that often times a new part will either go bad in the first year, or last 20 years. Rarely anything in between for me. I went through 3 bad fuel pumps in a months time years ago, then finally got a good one. It's been working for the last 7 years. I guess that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" probably has real meaning to it, cause a new part can be less trustworthy than an old tried and true one. A lot of rambling, I know, but that's just been something that's been bothering me lately.