Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok so now its diesel engines that are causing atmosphere warming?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Dec 23, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifStudies like this are a dime a dozen. What about other gross poluters like COAL burning power plants? Today they just needed something else to blame. Tommarow it will be radio waves from cell phones ruining the 0zone. Damn tree hugging hippies.

lets not forget about the millions of lawnmowers and other engines that meet no emmisions. i guarantee that my lawnmower polutes more than my toyota. [/rant off]

3. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

oops, my bad /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Every person in the U.S. contributes an average of 20 tons of carbon emissions into the atmosphere each year.
    In 1996, Americans generated 209.7 million tons of municipal solid waste of which: 27.3 percent (57.3 million tons) was recovered for recycling, which includes composting; 55.5 percent (116.3 million tons) landfilled; and 17.2 percent (36.1 million tons) combusted.
    In the United States, the per capita generation of municipal solid waste (garbage) in 1996 was 4.3 pounds per person per day, compared to 4.4 pounds per person per day in 1995. This number is higher than European countries such as Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom which generate around two to three pounds per person per day.
    Every year the USA generates 3.5 billion pounds of carpet waste. That's enough carpet for 220 large shopping malls.
    The USA creates 28 billion pounds of food waste annually.
    In one year, the USA throws away 19 billion pounds of packing peanuts. That's enough to fill seven stadiums the size of the MetroDome (Minneapolis).
    Each year, the USA produces 3.7 trillion tons of construction waste.
    Every year, Americans throw out 24 million tons of grass clippings, leaves, and other yard waste.

So next time you see a tree hugging hippie water his lawn, throw out clippings, rake his leaves, not composting his garbage, or using diapers... You just go tell him that they are the source of polution, not the diesel engines. Last I checked, the engine certainly didnt produce 4.3 lbs of waste.

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifStudies like this are a dime a dozen. What about other gross poluters like COAL burning power plants? Today they just needed something else to blame. Tommarow it will be radio waves from cell phones ruining the 0zone. Damn tree hugging hippies.

lets not forget about the millions of lawnmowers and other engines that meet no emmisions. i guarantee that my lawnmower polutes more than my toyota. [/rant off]

[/ QUOTE ]

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Every person in the U.S. contributes an average of 20 tons of carbon emissions into the atmosphere each year.
    In 1996, Americans generated 209.7 million tons of municipal solid waste of which: 27.3 percent (57.3 million tons) was recovered for recycling, which includes composting; 55.5 percent (116.3 million tons) landfilled; and 17.2 percent (36.1 million tons) combusted.
    In the United States, the per capita generation of municipal solid waste (garbage) in 1996 was 4.3 pounds per person per day, compared to 4.4 pounds per person per day in 1995. This number is higher than European countries such as Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom which generate around two to three pounds per person per day.
    Every year the USA generates 3.5 billion pounds of carpet waste. That's enough carpet for 220 large shopping malls.
    The USA creates 28 billion pounds of food waste annually.
    In one year, the USA throws away 19 billion pounds of packing peanuts. That's enough to fill seven stadiums the size of the MetroDome (Minneapolis).
    Each year, the USA produces 3.7 trillion tons of construction waste.
    Every year, Americans throw out 24 million tons of grass clippings, leaves, and other yard waste.

So next time you see a tree hugging hippie water his lawn, throw out clippings, rake his leaves, not composting his garbage, or using diapers... You just go tell him that they are the source of polution, not the diesel engines. Last I checked, the engine certainly didnt produce 4.3 lbs of waste.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i like to see, NUMBERS, FACTS.

4.3 pounds per day, i am actually surprised it is that low. i thought it had gone up. i will use this on my neighbor who complains about my wheezy old 6.2.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    lets not forget about the millions of lawnmowers and other engines that meet no emmisions

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, CA does have some sort of emissions standards for newer small engines like lawnmowers and stuff, but I have no idea what they are. When I bought my Craftsman 6.5HP lawnmower in '99, I read the owners manual (novel concept there, huh?), and the parts breakdown had 2 part numbers listed for replacement engines - the "49-state engine" and the "California engine". The listed HP for mine (49-state) is 6.5HP, the CA was 6.3HP. I don't think the standards are retroactive, but they're definitely in place for newer engines.

Stupid F'n tree-huggers... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    4.3 pounds per day, i am actually surprised it is that low

[/ QUOTE ]

My dog farts more than that... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif