Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok...That was fun....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by poinzey, Feb 11, 2006.

1. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

I helped a friend move a few weeks ago. Well... he had an old ford f150 in the backyard with a load of wood in the bed he needed to move. So, I borrowed the neighbors 16' trailer and hooked it to the blazer. We proceeded to load the truck and head for the new house, which was only maybe 10 miles away. Now i see why blazers do not make good tow vehicles, lol. And mine is mostly stock, barring the pro comp 33's. I would hit 35 mph and the slightest bump would set off a wicked harmonic. Now..I'm from Texas...and I've run a few rodeo gates back in the day...but have never riden a bull...but OMG. When that trailer would start bouncing(taking the blazer with it) I swear i was on top of the meanest bull in the yard! Needless to say, we stayed under 35 and went niiiiiiice and sloooooowwwwww! Hmmm....that may just be a way to justify a pure tow rig in the future. O HUNEY....:D

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Next time load the ford with the heaviest side torwards the front of the trailer. In this case, with a load of wood, that'd probally have been the back side.

You always want about 15% of the load weight on your hitch ball, that keeps the rear end of your truck planted, and that trailer in line.

I know what you mean about the crazy trailer whippin around too. We once loaded a bunch of pipe (about 9000 lbs worth) onto the back of a short little trailer we had, behind my father's 2500 HD duramax. We got going, and like yourself, hit a small bump, which sent the trailer into a crazy slide. My father is an amazing driver, and was able to control both the trailer, and the back side of the truck whipping around until it slowed down.

There too, went about 35 mph the whole way and were just fine after that. Problem was not enough weight on the trailer's tounge.

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Blazers tow just fine, if its loaded properley..i towed a 26 foot, 5800lb trailer to San Diego and back, and the only time i really noticed it, was the extra push comming down the grapevine. And I was very glad that i have a sm465, and just downshifted and used the tranny to keep it at a resonable speed.
    another thing that helped was putting the load leveler/springbars on it..