Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK think I might 2wd and prerunner a 4x4. I'm full of Questions!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

OK think I might 2wd and prerunner a 4x4. I\'m full of Questions!

I have a problem. I have 2 kids and a wife and FOUR 2 door vehicles. Wife want's a four door car. Tried to talk her into a Burb but one of her big issues with her 79 4x4 Blazer is loading the baby. My wife is 5ft 90lb and it's difficult for her to get the baby UP into the car seat and she will have the same problem with a Burb.
    Wile my Supra has 4 seats the back seat is not Car seat friendly. It also is getting to the point where I'm going to have to rebuild the front suspension and new brakes including rotors and new wheel bearings on all four corners. Just doing some adding that is going to set me back about $1500 for PARTS! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I like the car, it's fun to drive but I think it's the one to go since I could sell it for about what I have in it and use that money against a Camry to make the wife happy.
    Her K5 is not going to be echonomical as a Daily driver for me in it's current form. I do 44 miles a day and at 11mpg the 79 gets it will eat me alive in fuel. I need to get up into the 18-20mpg range. I'm also going to loose my butt selling this truck since it's cosmetically challanged and needs rockers and body work. Fiberglass fenders on all four corners would make that easy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Michael keeps killing me with pictures of all these killer Pre runners! I WANT TO BUILD ONE!!!!!!!!!!!! My thought is with a OD tranny and FI I should be where I need with the Fuel millage. The 79 is great mechanicly. It has a Crate with 20k on it. EVERYTHING is rebuilt or new in the drivtrain. I should be able to sell the 4x4 parts for top dollar and cover some of the cost of the conversion.
    Truck has power everything and working A/C. I was thinking I wanted a convertable but the fact is this needs to be all weather friendly all the time so taking off the top is really pretty low on priority list. It Has 3.73 gears with a Limited slip so with 33's and OD it's should roll down the road at about where I need to be on RPM's.
    The reality is this truck will probably never see High speed desert so Long trave suspension is not a big deal. Street manners is. I know it's not a sports car but it has to hang a curve.
    What I know I need to do is get a 2wd cross member. That's a bolt on. I can probably pick up a complete front end with steering box from an 80's 2wd truck for around $125 and then put a lift on it. Hell I can do most of that work before it's even under the truck and do the conversion in a day and get it alligned the next.
    Is there any aftermarket set ups that would work that has all the suspension and cross over on it and links?
    I hear the 2wd rear mounts for the suspension are different (lower stance) so the 4x4 rear suspension sits higher....how much higher so I can figure out what lift to get in the front to match it?
    What compaines out there make decent front 2wd lift kits?
    What sort of things can you guy's warn me about when lifting a 2wd?
    Anybody grafted rack and pinion onto one of these trucks?
    Prices for lifting the front?
    Do the 2wd's use the same brake caliper as the 4x4?

Any tips and ideas are welcom
    Rear is cake, I just need some 5 lug shafts and drums.
    Thanks

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: OK think I might 2wd and prerunner a 4x4. I\'m full of Questions!

Well first a 2wd cross member and suspension and the steering box should come from the donor truck.
    Second there is no way you can fit the rack in there I have tried.
    As for lift companies, fabtech has a few options and I recall there was another, wehn I find the name I will let you know.
    And good luck with the project.
    I am doing the oposite, doing a full size van conversion to 4wd /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim, I almost never look over here anymore...not much traffic....Anyway the most economical way to lift the front is a spacer under the coil. A 1" spacer will give you right at 3" of lift, however......those 3" will leave you with no down(droop) travel and it sucks on the road. You can move your top ball joint to the bottom of the A-arm with a spacer to scoot the upper arm away from the stop, but it plays heck with the geometry. I had mine this way for two years and over 20,000 miles and it's crap. In my opinion the $1500 Fabtech kits don't work much better. They use longer arms to get more travel, but you really don't need that for what you (and I) are doing with the truck. I have since removed all the lift out of my truck and it is MUCH better. I had the spacers in front and a flip in the rear. It is like nite a day difference...to the better. I would get the cool late model 'glass(that gives you that chubbie) and you can run 35's with NO lift. It may be tight in the back if you go with 10" rims, but I have had Cali boys tell me that 35's on 8" rims will fit under stock quarters. Glassworks is now making the nice rear quarters for around $400 so put that with $600 for a frontend and you're pretty much set. All the new prerunner trucks being built are really low, so you'll be "in style" like me! Here is a current shot of mine:
    [​IMG]

Keep me posted!

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah...I can't remember if I posted this or not..... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif This is the new Glassworks quater installed:

[​IMG]

5. Grim-Reaper

Thanks Michael, That's the sort of info I was looking for. I'll save the cash on the lift then. Street manners and ride is priority #1. This will be a driver. I not new to cutting fenders. I may have to cut to fit 33's or run the 31's for a while. The 31's are nearly new so that would get me a few years down the road. It would be livable with Over drive.
    Do you know how much higher a stock 4x4 rear is over a stock 2x4 rear? May have to run a 1/2 inch spacer on the front to get the truck evened up. I may not even need to do that if I can swing a fiberglass front clip the weight I loose may be enough to get it level. If I do that I'll relocate the battery to the rear.
    I plan to find a newer set of springs and loose those 70's bricks in the rear. I could not believe how much better the 86 springs rode of the 75 springs.
    I just need to do some real soul searching and see if I really want to make a 2wd out of my 4x4. From a starting stand point I know where I am. I have a very soild truck with nice options. Convertable would be nice but like I pointed out...storing one hard top is enough of a pain in the butt, storing two would be even worse. This will be a driver and that A/C will make it a nice ride too work every day. I guess I need to call the Junk yard I deal with and see what he's going to get for the front frame and 5 lug rear shafts. Then I need to start figuring out what year tranny is going to be the easiest to adapt to get the Over drive.
    My ultimate goal is to shave about 700lb off the K5 as it sits. The transfer case alone will be worth about 300lb with the front drive shaft. Front clip should shed me about another 200. Probably lost a 100lb between the 4x4 front axle and the 2wd parts. I think that will put me about 4000 lb.
    Have you ever weighed your truck or have a rough idea as to it's weight? I think a stock 4x4 of the 70's is pushing 4700.
    Thanks for the info.

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim, here are a couple of shots of rear hangers. First is my stock 2WD hanger followed by a 4WD hanger installed on a 2WD Blazer. I have a set of 57" Ford springs, but if I move my hanger back it hits my newly redone exhaust and bumper mount.....it's always something!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Where did you get the longer shackle? or is it home made?
    I was looking for one and couldn't find any, and I was going to make my own but I'd rather find one.

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It's not my shackle, but the guys tells me it's just a regular "lowering" shackle.

9. Grim-Reaper

In tension those longer shackles are fine. I wouldnot recomend using those shackles in conjunction with a shackle flip. Dep ran those and folded one. He ended up having to beef it up quite a bit to get enough strength for a compression shackle.

10. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Heres an idea for the front.Instead of swapping all the 2wd crossmembers and stuff in.Why not pull the axle and build a straight tube solid axle with no diff just tubing and knuckles.You could keep your leave springs you have now.Don't think swapping in a 2wd crossmember will save you any weight.Them things are huge.I know I have a 77 Crew Cab 2wd.Which is going to 4wd soon.

11. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Brady...I thought about that same thing. For a prerunner it would get huge travel pretty easy. That's what all the 2WD Cherokees have. They raced a few in the Dez and they went really fast. I had a 4 link/ coilover swap in mind, but leaving the leafs would be much easier/cheaper. I think the Cherokee axle would be too narrow, but I'm sure there are others......Grim??

12. Grim-Reaper

Ride and handling. This is going to be a truck that would put on 44 miles a day on the hwy. I could make the truck really hold the road with the 2wd front. Solid front axle rides like crap and if I was going to stay sold it might as well be a 4x4.
    I have a truck I'm thinking about as a doaner. it's a 82 C20 Silverado. Body is pretty straight. has the nice front clip for that year. No engine but has a Th400 that is supose to be good (even if it isn't I can rebuild it for about $150) and a SF 14 that should be 3.73 or 4.10 gears. It also comes with a Rear D60 from a dually. Guy is asking $750 but I'm sure he would come down. I could sell my 3.73 axles as a set and proably clear $400 or more. Sell a lot of parts off that truck and probably break even or make money by the time it's all said and done. It has better doors than my truck and I would probably run that front clip till I can afford a Tube bender and the Fiberglass front clip upgrade kit. I culd run the TH400 for a while untill I can come up with the cash for a LS1 ( guy near me comes up regularly with low mile LS1's with transmission and all the ECU's and stuff needed to make it run for $2700. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll put the crate in the 79 in Dollar once I get that.
    So how does a 3/4 ton Pre runner Blazer sound? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Disc brake the rear to try and keep the unsprung weight as low as possible. Same reason I wouldn't go straight axle front...more unsprung wieght.

Rene

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Got a question for ya. I'm thinking about jumping up to 35" with no lift and I was looking at the pic of your truck as it is now. Are the rear fenders between 2wd and 4wd the same? Have you done anything with the wheel wells? If I do go to 35", I'll take the sawzall to the fenders.

15. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I just posted on your other post....Mine's all prerunner glass. You can visit my site for detail shots.

16. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

What about running I-Beams? I know there f*rd junk but if done right they work pretty well.

17. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I beams do work well for a real prerunner, Grim is looking more for an easy swap and a prerunnner looking cruiser......disco truck is what the "real" prerunner dudes call them. Mine is a prime example. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Grim-Reaper

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    .disco truck is what the "real" prerunner dudes call them.

[/ QUOTE ]
    SO funny you should say Disco. The truck that I'm thinking of doing this to is my wifes 79. Hight of Disco. The truck is black with silver sides. The interrior is red carpet. The seats are Red volure with white vinyl backs. the door pannels, side pannels and all the roof trim were also white but a previous owner dyed the trim and pannels red to match the carpet. The truck was totaly 70's tacky and my wife and I affectionatly refer to the truck as the "Disco Blazer"
    Yeah Michael is correct. Here in Atlanta there is no where to enjoy a real prerunner. This is going to be a poser prerunner that would become my DD. Main priorty is street manners. People fly around here. My morning starts by hitting the hwy and setting the cruise on 80mph for 20 miles and I still get passed a lot at that speed. I want something that is very stable up to 100mph on the street and I can whip around on the curves. I'll probably add a rear sway bar if I do this and get the biggest fattest front sway I can find. Poly suspenshing parts, Close ratio steering box. I really hope to get that update kit and make it look very simular to the 74 Michael has pictured on his site.
    Ohh I located a near perfect 86 tub in white with factory tinted windows for $500. It's got all it's doors, gate and windows and the paint is in excelent condition and no rust. The 79 needs rockers and doors. The paint would have to be stripped back to metal before the next paint job on the 79. It would be cheaper to buy this tub and put it on the 79 frame. It was a ruck Keith parted and sold the tub on. Guy has not done anything with it and would sell it. Keith has the front clip and I might be able to talk him out of it.

19. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Man that '86 sounds like a sweet deal! Decisions, decisions.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

hey michael... long time no see. i finally made it over here. granted i dont have a k5..or even 4wd. but i heard you were over here so figured these guys must be ok with us lifted 2by guys.. looks like you have done a bit to your truck since i last talked to you or checked your site. 35"s with no lift.. now you got me thinking.. but what kind of travel/suspension performance would this have? alittle more travel would be nice.. my plans have come to a halt. i have only found one company that makes lift spindles, but they quit.. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and i dont feel like laying down $2k for the fabtech 4" long travel lift. since we have last talked..i have been in an accident... i was rearended by a telephone truck.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif here are a few pics.. [​IMG]

check out link for pics of the truck that hit me! wreck pics

[​IMG]

jon