Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok to heat cailper bolts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Nov 28, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

of course the caliper bolts are rusted in there good like i knew they would be on the s-10.. dont have any penatrating oil or any chit like that at the moment, but i do got a torch /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif..is it ok to heat them or no?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't heat the bolt, heat the backing plate they're seized into. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

backing plate? im not sure what ur talking about, not the back brakes the front.....you mean heat the caliper or something..

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Heat makes metal expand. If you heat the bolt it won't do any good.

Don't heat the bolt. Heat what the bolts threads into to get the bolt out.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

heat the backing plate....the front calipers are bolted TO the backing plate /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ohhh ur talkin bout the steering knuckle, right!!?? i wasnt sure what u ment, when u said backing plate i was thinking of a backing plate on drum brakes..

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I would try something other than heat. Brake fluid is VERY flammable, and I dont think you want to replace the caliper because you over heated it and ruined the seal.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ud have to do some pretty good heating to get damage the seal...but i would be heating the knuckle that the bolt goes through..

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i would not heat, i would get penetrating oil
    the threads are at the headsof the bolts so thats where you would need to heat at, and the bolts have rubber guide seal things that you will burn up and ruin, they sit in the bolt ears of the calipers.

when you put bolts back in, use plumbers pipe thread dope on a brush, they will never freeze again /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i use this stuff on head bolts and other threads that i dont want to seize or leak coolant through like head bolts, etc.

10. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    ud have to do some pretty good heating to get damage the seal...but i would be heating the knuckle that the bolt goes through..

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not the knuckle. It's the backing plate, also known as the caliper support.

The threads are on the caliper support, you'll be able to see them from the backside, just under the head of the bolt.

Is the allen bolt head stripped or something?

You'd want to heat it slightly around the bolt, directly onto the backing plate. The concept of the metal expanding and opening up the hole slightly isn't what is going to help. That actually makes the hole smaller as the metal around the hole expands. The heat is what affects the rust/siezed portion of the threads and breaks it free.

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Don't you have a breaker bar? What I do is use a 1/2" ratchet with an allen head socket, slip a piece of pipe over the ratchet and use that leverage. I can break most any bolt loose that way.

12. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

He can do that, in conjunction with hitting the caliper support with a hammer, right where the bolt goes through. The sheer force of the hammering along with the pressure from trying to turn the bolt will break it free.

Thats exactly how I got my D60 king pins off.

This method will negate the need for heat, and prevent any problems from overheating the area. Not to mention, its a hell of a lot safer /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

durr *brain fart*..never thought of that..lol but hey it was midnight and i was tired..

hmmm didnt even know they called that the backing plate..new to me.. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif but in any event..guess ill stay away from heating it