Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok to mount recovery hook here?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Dec 9, 2003.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

if i put a piece of 1/2 inch plate above it and bolt it in?
    [​IMG]

2. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

when you say above it do you mean use the plate as a washer above the frame? or use the plate as a spacer?

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

above the frame, kinda as a strengthener/washer

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

it would be OK, but I would advise against it.

I've seen those thing sheer off and shoot out like a bullet. IMHO, a "true" off road bumper is in order in the front. I don't want to be hanging for my life on a strap thinking "I hope that hook holds!"

JM2C

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks zakk, i plan on the 4x4iron hybrid bumper or something comparible. but untill then, i want some hooks on the front and that was the most logical place i found to mount it.

7. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

That's what I did, one on each frame horn. I ended up putting a 1/4" plate on each side of the frame instead of just using one 1/2" plate, made it a ton stronger. I am not afraid of it ripping out because I have pulled some heavy sh!t with it, straps and cables break before the hooks go. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i dont think it'll be a problem. a beefy bumper that is attached to the frame in more than 2 spots is always the best way to go, but until you have ur kick azz bumper etc, the hooks/horns approach oughta work for ya.

j

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

make sure you have at least grade 8 or higher bolts

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Aren't those hooks only rated at 10,000 pounds? I'd be concerned about that thing snapping and becoming a projectile. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The factory hooks are considerably beefier. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    make sure you have at least grade 8 or higher bolts

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, make sure you have a fat wallett and a good lawyer. Cause you may be getting booked for manslaughter.

12. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, make sure you have a fat wallett and a good lawyer. Cause you may be getting booked for manslaughter.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

please list all the legal cases that involve injury claims related to these particular types of hooks.

yeah, thats what a i thought.

j

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Aren't those hooks only rated at 10,000 pounds? I'd be concerned about that thing snapping and becoming a projectile. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The factory hooks are considerably beefier. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    so 10k isnt enough? it is mainly sand dunes and hills i'd be doing, no mud

14. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

One thing is correct - this type of tow hook should be mounted where the bolts are in line with the towing plane. Meaning, just as you have it. Be sure to plate the frame as you mentioned.

I ripped my factory tow hook out of the frame, with only a thread holding on. Luckily my truck was freed on the very pull that broke the tow hook mounts.

GM dropped the ball on the factory tow hook mounting, expecially with the 81 up K5's. They had the "S shaped" tow hook mounting where my 78 had the straight through mounting. But, the way the factory mounted my tow hooks, was straight up and down. Meaning, the bottom bolt ripped through the frame, leaving only the top bolt and torn frame intact. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

15. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

please list all the legal cases that involve injury claims related to these particular types of hooks.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Not talking about the quality of the hooks. I am talking about the method of installation of said hooks. So STFU. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Not talking about the quality of the hooks. I am talking about the method of installation of said hooks. So STFU. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HIGHLY NOT RECOMENDED!

but, the previos owner of my truck had those type hooks installed with just one bolt on the frame and not plating /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

i watched him do a good 10 or 15 5-10' slack jerks in the mud and they didn't pop out. i only watched him wheel once and he had that truck over a year, so i don't think with 2 bolts you'll be in bad shape at all. mine are mounted with 2 bolts to the frame now, no plate, but not that ya'll mention it i think i'll plate it up before i wheel her again.

17. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Not talking about the quality of the hooks. I am talking about the method of installation of said hooks.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont see anything out of the ordinary about his choice of installation location or method of attachment. Lawsuits are always a concern, but honestly, most of our hardcore wheelers run bumpers they bent/welded up themselves which (no matter how beefy) if they fail and someone is injured there is a MUCH better chance of a lawsuit (unless you're a certified welder and have an engineering degree).

in any case, the guy is buying something billed as a tow hook and is attaching it to the frame of his vehicle... if flat out murderers can lay the blame on gun manufacturers, SURELY a person brought to court where a tow hook was to blame he could pin it on the company that produced them. this is prolly why we don't see lawsuits like you're talking about much, if at all. Still waiting to see some evidence of such a thing...

j

ps: i guess you missed the day in 7th grade English class where they tell you that resorting to insults = admitting defeat in an argument. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not talking about the quality of the hooks. I am talking about the method of installation of said hooks.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont see anything out of the ordinary about his choice of installation location or method of attachment. Lawsuits are always a concern, but honestly, most of our hardcore wheelers run bumpers they bent/welded up themselves which (no matter how beefy) if they fail and someone is injured there is a MUCH better chance of a lawsuit (unless you're a certified welder and have an engineering degree).

in any case, the guy is buying something billed as a tow hook and is attaching it to the frame of his vehicle... if flat out murderers can lay the blame on gun manufacturers, SURELY a person brought to court where a tow hook was to blame he could pin it on the company that produced them. this is prolly why we don't see lawsuits like you're talking about much, if at all. Still waiting to see some evidence of such a thing...

j

ps: i guess you missed the day in 7th grade English class where they tell you that resorting to insults = admitting defeat in an argument. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Where was the insult?

19. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

the way you and i and most other folks with heavy, powerful trucks unstick people is to slowly get all the slack out of the rope then gently pull them out of there holes. i have never, ever done a "jerk" type recovery because i have never needed to. i think that hook will be fine right where you have it. but thats just me. if you had to pull me out with that hook, i would feel safe

20. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i might even be able to weld in the 1/4 inch plate also /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif