Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK to run w/o rear driveshaft, 203?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sample, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Will it cause any damage to the 203 case to run without a rear drive shaft?

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Obviously this is a temp fix I guess...cause you do know that you can't go anywhere with a 203 case and missing a driveshaft unless you're in Low Loc right? That means your top speed is maybe 25 mph...You weren't planning on driving it on the street were ya? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Why couldnt you use high lock? as long as its locked their shouldnt be a difference. Now i could be mistaken thats why im asking!!

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I ran for a month in High Lock without a front driveshaft (I've got a NP-203) Went down the interstate at 80 MPH just fine.

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

high loc will work too- i did it, but i broke my u-joint. i also might add my transfer case grinds real bad sometimes and when i ran it like this it grinded worse than ever.

6. BowtieRed

[ QUOTE ]
    I ran for a month in High Lock without a front driveshaft (I've got a NP-203) Went down the interstate at 80 MPH just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

without a front and without a rear are different. without a front you won't need it in loc. well, i don't anyway. without a rear you'll need loc though. power is always distributed to the rear wheels, but not the front.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My 203 is still fulltime, so yes, it needed to be in lock.

8. BowtieRed

so is mine, and when i unlock my hubs i leave it in 4wheel high (no loc) and it drives. . . hmm, mine is probably screwed up my truck is a piece.

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...cause you do know that you can't go anywhere with a 203 case and missing a driveshaft unless you're in Low Loc right? That means your top speed is maybe 25 mph...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just has to be locked in. I am running in High lock right now w/out my front driveshaft. I would not recommend running it that way w/out a rear driveshaft...unless I needed to move it from one side of the drive way tot he other!

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

ok, i'm assclown of the month...sorry guys. For some reason, i was kinda outta it this mornin...

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    without a front you won't need it in loc

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you do with a 203 that has not been converted to part time.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    so is mine, and when i unlock my hubs i leave it in 4wheel high (no loc) and it drives. . . hmm, mine is probably screwed up my truck is a piece.

[/ QUOTE ] My 203 is factory fulltime with the factory front axle. No hubs to lock or unlock. If you have lockputs up front, are you sure it not parttime ???

13. jwingfield2k

jwingfield2k Registered Member

Plus you know running the front axle with drive shaft power and turning at the same time is gonna eat the shite outta the tires.

14. BowtieRed

someone before me put the hubs on there to save mileage, why would the convert it AND put on hubs? that doesn't make sense. yes, i'm sure, it stillh as four working positions. but it's a crappy case, maybe a pin is broken, because i promise it drive in 4 wheel high with unlocked front hubs.

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can run on just the front while in loc (high or low), but take it easy. The front shaft (especially if already worn), was not meant to take the abuse the rear one does. I've seen guys toast the front shaft in short order, when running without the rear shaft in place. You can do it, just take it easy.

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Nah, just take it easy. When I blew the spider gears on my rear 10 bolt I ran the NP208 on the expressway at 60mph for 110 miles and then another 30 miles on the highway. Steering isn't fun nor is slowing down fun like that but it works.

You'll kill the front shaft and wheel universals if you accelerate hard or accelerate too much around a corner.