Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok, truck just scared me

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Greek, Jun 13, 2006.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

K well I got home about 5 mins ago and I said to myself hey, i havnt tried my 4wd ever since I fixed the hubs. So I was like hey I wont go far so I pulled up about 3-4 feet. I stopped and for some reason I wanted to put the tcase into N cause I dont know what it does in nuetral and figured now would be a good time to find out. As soon as I move the lever the truck lets out a metal scream:doah: .

Now after the scream i try to bring it back to 4 hi and same thing, more noise. I had to shut the truck off, put tcase into 2wd and turn it back on to make sure evrything is ok. I almost pooed myself:eek1: , anyway anyone know what just happend to me or am I going to have to go over my whole 4wd system before I use it again?

2. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

sounds like something was still turning. the truck was stopped eh? not rolling along in neutral? was your foot on the gas?

3. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

truck was stopped, foot on brake, tranny in neutral

4. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

im thinking maybe something was binding but i dont know

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

some trannys free wheel in nutral more than others do. best to use park if yours does that.

6. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

is that usually in older cars when they move in nuetral? mine doesnt move in neutral but next time i gather up the courage ill try it...maybe monday when i dont have to goto work for 3 days:haha:

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is the problem.

Next time try it in "Park". When I put my truck into 4WD, I first put it in "Reverse", and roll backwards for about 5-feet, then I stop and put it in "Park" (with the parking brake on). Then I shift the transfercase into gear, and then get out to lock the hubs in.

8. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

k ill try that next time...

now another problem i just went out to bring my mom something, and the truck is idling high now...if i go out on the street it will go up to 15mph without any throttle from me..isnt it usually at like 5? and shes downshifting really late. whats going on here:confused:

9. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Might sound silly but this happened to me. Is you A/C on? Mine did that a couple of months ago, could not for the life of me figure what the h*ll the problem was. I then noticed I had switched the air on accidentally and it bumped the idle up, but then again mine is carburated. Not sure if that makes a difference.

10. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

poped the hood, its a little too hot still to mess around but i ofund a wire hanging around...heres a pic its the white wire
    [​IMG]

11. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes the tranny in N will rotate, and grind when you try to change t/c gears. DON"T try to put the tranny in park if you have done that. shut the engine off, give it a few seconds for everything to stop turning, and then put it in P.
    If your engine is fuel injection it should compensate for the a/c being on, and keep the idle at 6-700. Maybe the throttle position sensor needs adjustment.

12. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

i swear this truck is messing with me..i just moved it(bro had to leave) and she runs like normal now...i never use ac but ill check tommorow, its getting dark now and truck is still hot

13. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You should be able to shift between 2wd and 4H with the tranny in gear and with the vehicle moving. Shifting between 4H and 4L requires the vehicle to be fully stopped and the tranny in N.

14. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Only with the hubs locked. I'm throwing this out in case a noob takes this too literally.

15. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

what about for us auto locking boys, i know i know they suck bu ti need to save up money for some manuals

16. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Although the pic is super-sized, that looks like the tachometer wire tap. If your truck doesn;t have a tach, its left loose. No biggy.

17. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

I've got a 90' w/ the same drivetrain as you. I've never had a problem shifting xfer into 4HI or LOW w/ tranny in N...this was with the original auto-hubs or the now manual hubs. I do lock the manual hubs first, don't know if that matters or not.

18. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

My Dad's '87 Suburban always ground and screemed and hollared when going into Low Range, since the day it was new. We always just sucked it up and forced it in and it was fine.

After about 15 years and 150k miles, the Case had to be rebuilt, and it's never done it since.