Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK... Trucks down need tranny help... B and M Shift Kit...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Apr 3, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OK.. TH400... doing stage 1 shift kit...

Question one... pulled out everythign like they said...
    when i pulled out the 1-2 shift part thingy... it wasnt too clear which one of the pieces to either use or put back in... you'd have to have done tis kit to know what i am talking about... they say to either use the piece provided or grind 1/2 inch off yours "if yours is a smaller diameter" well most of mine was the same diamiter... but not all of it... the end towards the spring was bigger... but it's the piece that they have missing on the B and M replacement one... so i stuck the replacement one in..

Then when i am putting it back together the solenoid that you remove and have to bolt back on, no big deal, well when you take it off there's a metal gasket that comes off... when you put it back together they say "dont use the metal gasket in this kit" so does that mean i use the same metal plate gasket it had? or does it mean i dont use a gasket at all???

Anyone follow me?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as omiting that gasket...
    I'd say put it back together the way you found it with the gasket.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For future reference (sorry, too late now) go with Trans-Go shift kits. The last B&M TH350 kit I used I couldn't understand the instructions. I rebuilt the tranny, but couldn't understand their directions lol. None of the local trans shops (ones that do work for GM as well) will use B&M kits, all Trans Go.

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I've used two B&M shift kits, one in a TH350 and one in a 700R4, it is a pain to understand the directions, but I like the way the transmissions shift when you finally get everthing put back together.

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i'm on the phone now with them... on hold, going on 30 minutes... i cant remember which way the servo goes in that fell out.. is the spring up or down? there's a metal disk/plate and it fits both up and down in the tranny /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the spring goes up.

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey dude...
    When i rebuilt my TH-400 i got the servo piston in backwards and had very harsh downshifts to 1st and no engine braking in 2nd gear.
    Make sure you get that sucker in there the right way.

<a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/th400transmissionrebuild.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&amp;PhotoID=350> This picture should answer your question! </a>

And thats right... Spring first... then the servo piston.