Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok, What am I Going To Need For My Brakes? RE: Axle Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrianDamage, Apr 28, 2006.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Ok, going to swap the stock 1/2 ton axles on my 87 K5 for a Dana 60 and 14 bolt ff, both with disk brakes.

What am I going to need to get my brakes working?

Do I need a bigger master cylinder and/or booster now? If so, is it just one off of a 3/4 or 1 ton, or something differant?

:confused:

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

There is no single answer.

If I were you, I'd try it as is, and upgrade as you feel necessary. "Upgrade" is an ugly word, and I currently have a 7000# yard ornament because I decided to "upgrade" the brakes :eek1::mad: (My towrig is down, until I get the energy to deal with the damn thing, which not only can't stop but can't steer now that I did hydroboost.)

On my K5 I have the stock brake set up with 10b and 14BFF disc/disc. Stops nicely, even with the Doubler in low/low.

The vacuum brake booster is basically the same for 1/2-tons (as long as they have the dual-diaphragm booster, the big one) and 3/4's, so you can keep the same booster unless you switch to hydroboost.

The masters are all different and I'm not sure that they make a hill of beans of difference. I would NOT mess with the P30 master on a vacuum booster, as I think it's designed ONLY for hydroboost.

If your master is old and/or suspect now, you could put one off a 3/4 or a 1-ton (with vacuum brakes) on it as a replacement. Otherwise, I'd leave the hydraulics alone and spend my time and $$ making one of those garden sprayer pressure bleeders and celebrating your axle swap :)

-- A