Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK what to get for the burb

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Grim-Reaper, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The PO (previous owner) put in a casette deck and some Pannasonc speakers that are about 6 inches, might be 8 but I have not pulled the covers and measured yet.. Speakers are shot and the Cassette has to go. Two of the speakers are mounted in the Kick pannels up front (yep through the metal) and two above the wheel wells in the back.
    I'm not looking to go nuts here. I just want a good full sounding stereo. My last set up was Sony head driving the mains and a pair of Bazokka's on a single Punch 45. It was in the supra and it was respectable for what it was but I'm dealing with a LOT more insides to fill with sound now. I figure I need to add a second amp to drive the mains instead of how the Head was driving both front and rear in the car and just the single Punch on the subs. The Bazookas did a decent job of mid bass fill in the little car so it sounded pretty good even though the four main speakers were only 4 inch. With the size of the inside of the Burb I just don't see getting away with that this go around.

Here is what I have at the moment.
    Sony Explode CD 45x4 internal amp.
    JBL speakers that are 4 inch and I think those can be made to fit the dash. Nice and crisp so should give good definition up front.
    Two 8 inch Bazookas ( no interanal amp)
    two Punch 45 amps. Old ones with the true Mosfet power supplies.
    Right now most of this system is in my Supra that is for sale and I'll be pulling it in a couple days. I have a storage shelf out of the 79 that now resides in the Sub. The Bazooka's fit perfect between the shelf and the back of the back seat (no third seat). Should sound decent at that location firing towards the wall infront of the wheel wells.

What speakers should I get to replace these Pannasonics?
    How should I wire this?

Here is what I am thinking right now. The Sony has both front and rear RCA's. I figured I would run the JBL dash speakers on the head unit on front channel. The bazokas on one of the punch amps on rear RCA. That is close to how the system was set up in the other car.

Should I run all four 6 inch all on one punch amp with no front to rear fade? It has a gain control as well as gains on bass and trebble on the amp so I should be able to ballance it out. between the JBL's but I'm concerned it going to be all front and I'll never hear the rears as far back as they are.

Whats a decent brand for the mains that will give a good midrange and pick up where the Bazookas drop off so I can keep it all bass on the Bazookas?

What ohm speakers should I get so as not to over load that amp and parralle or Series on that? I'm looking for reasonably priced.

Should I just buy a third amp or can I get away with this with what I have and new speakers?

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I doubt those 4" speakers are going to give you enough volume for the sub. Your going to need something larger. I would suggest a set of thse for the front and rear door area's. This should allow you to actually hear the music without cranking it all of the way up.

For the amp I would use the the old school amp you have to run the 4"'s and subs. If at all possible get a 4 channel amp to run the other speakers for the doors. This one should work perfect for powering those pioneers.

Overall you should have the one of the punch amps powering the 4" speakers, the other one power the subs and the new 4 channel amp powering the new speakers in the doors. You may also want to throw in a cross over so you can get everything sounding right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The PO (previous owner) put in a casette deck and some Pannasonc speakers that are about 6 inches, might be 8 but I have not pulled the covers and measured yet.. Speakers are shot and the Cassette has to go. Two of the speakers are mounted in the Kick pannels up front (yep through the metal) and two above the wheel wells in the back.
    I'm not looking to go nuts here. I just want a good full sounding stereo. My last set up was Sony head driving the mains and a pair of Bazokka's on a single Punch 45. It was in the supra and it was respectable for what it was but I'm dealing with a LOT more insides to fill with sound now. I figure I need to add a second amp to drive the mains instead of how the Head was driving both front and rear in the car and just the single Punch on the subs. The Bazookas did a decent job of mid bass fill in the little car so it sounded pretty good even though the four main speakers were only 4 inch. With the size of the inside of the Burb I just don't see getting away with that this go around.

Here is what I have at the moment.
    Sony Explode CD 45x4 internal amp.
    JBL speakers that are 4 inch and I think those can be made to fit the dash. Nice and crisp so should give good definition up front.
    Two 8 inch Bazookas ( no interanal amp)
    two Punch 45 amps. Old ones with the true Mosfet power supplies.
    Right now most of this system is in my Supra that is for sale and I'll be pulling it in a couple days. I have a storage shelf out of the 79 that now resides in the Sub. The Bazooka's fit perfect between the shelf and the back of the back seat (no third seat). Should sound decent at that location firing towards the wall infront of the wheel wells.

What speakers should I get to replace these Pannasonics?
    How should I wire this?

Here is what I am thinking right now. The Sony has both front and rear RCA's. I figured I would run the JBL dash speakers on the head unit on front channel. The bazokas on one of the punch amps on rear RCA. That is close to how the system was set up in the other car.

Should I run all four 6 inch all on one punch amp with no front to rear fade? It has a gain control as well as gains on bass and trebble on the amp so I should be able to ballance it out. between the JBL's but I'm concerned it going to be all front and I'll never hear the rears as far back as they are.

Whats a decent brand for the mains that will give a good midrange and pick up where the Bazookas drop off so I can keep it all bass on the Bazookas?

What ohm speakers should I get so as not to over load that amp and parralle or Series on that? I'm looking for reasonably priced.

Should I just buy a third amp or can I get away with this with what I have and new speakers?

[/ QUOTE ] I really like Q-forms , you can use whatever component speakers you like in them, and they sound good.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Grimmy,

Don't forget something else that's important....NOISE!

If your Sub is like mine, there is "room for improvement" in the area of road noise suppression. While it's true that you can simply install a LOUD stereo to drown out the road noise....it is fatiguing to have to play music loudly just to hear it.

What would be even better is to lower the "noise floor" of the interior, so that you can hear the music clearly even at low volumes..... you can probably tell where I'm going with this post......

Polymeric Mastic!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's the "generic" version of Dynamat. I just bought about 5 sheets of it for my K5, but may end up buying a few more sheets and using ALL of it in the 'Burban. The stuff is dirt cheap (compared to dynamat) and will really help to kill noise. Start with the floorboards, and wheelwells, then move to inner doorpanels and rear quarterpanels behind the trimpanels. The stuff can do wonders....you can even use multiple layers to increase the effect.

McMaster Carr sells it....there have been other posts here with the exact part numbers and website, so you can do a quick search if this interests you. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Grimmy,

Don't forget something else that's important....NOISE!

If your Sub is like mine, there is "room for improvement" in the area of road noise suppression. While it's true that you can simply install a LOUD stereo to drown out the road noise....it is fatiguing to have to play music loudly just to hear it.

What would be even better is to lower the "noise floor" of the interior, so that you can hear the music clearly even at low volumes..... you can probably tell where I'm going with this post......

Polymeric Mastic!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's the "generic" version of Dynamat. I just bought about 5 sheets of it for my K5, but may end up buying a few more sheets and using ALL of it in the 'Burban. The stuff is dirt cheap (compared to dynamat) and will really help to kill noise. Start with the floorboards, and wheelwells, then move to inner doorpanels and rear quarterpanels behind the trimpanels. The stuff can do wonders....you can even use multiple layers to increase the effect.

McMaster Carr sells it....there have been other posts here with the exact part numbers and website, so you can do a quick search if this interests you. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Very good point. There is some of what I call "Tar Mat" down allready from the factory. This burb is MUCH quieter then my 79 K5 ever thought of being (even before the flow masters)But Your right that it can be improved upon. Maybe I'll pack the rear fenders full of Polly Fill stuff and see if that helps.
    I'll look for some of that and do a more through job. I do want a quiet rig at times especcialy when the kids fall asleep in the back seat.

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Hey Greg

Ive done some google searching where do you find the polymetric stuff ??? ive wanted to dynomat everything for a while but too$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

8. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    I doubt those 4" speakers are going to give you enough volume for the sub. Your going to need something larger. I would suggest a set of thse for the front and rear door area's. This should allow you to actually hear the music without cranking it all of the way up.

For the amp I would use the the old school amp you have to run the 4"'s and subs. If at all possible get a 4 channel amp to run the other speakers for the doors. This one should work perfect for powering those pioneers.

Overall you should have the one of the punch amps powering the 4" speakers, the other one power the subs and the new 4 channel amp powering the new speakers in the doors. You may also want to throw in a cross over so you can get everything sounding right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The 4 inch JBLs will not have bass going to them. they have a cap from the factory. Those are going in the stock dash location.
    In the front kick pannels (not doors) are 6 inch speakers....Those Pionners might work good there. That's along the price I'm looking for. I need to pull the old ones out and see what kind of room there is. I might have some depth issues to deal with and limit what will fit up front.
    That "old school amp" is one of the best ever made. I use to run two 12's in a band pass box on that 45watt amp bridged and I got thrown out of a contest because, despite the jack off judge looking for 20 minutes and not finding another amp, he determind I had a hidden amp and lied about my wattage and I should have been in the next higher class.