Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok, what traction device for the D60?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Mar 22, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm goin 1-ton b4 Blazer Bash and was looking for some opinions on traction devices for my front D60. My rig DOES see street time. I am gonna run welded spiders in the ff14... but need something that will let me turn up front. I dont want to run a detroit locker up there.... nor do I have the $$$$ for an ARB. Just what are my options? Does anyone make a sanely priced mechanically activated (pull lever or shifter or whatever) locker? If not, what else is out there? Any info/advice would be appreciated. I know u guys know the answer here!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

if it matters, I am gonna have to get a new carrier anyway... going from 3.73 to 4.56... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

J

2. A&P

A&P Registered Member

Hey
    If you just lock your hubs when off road, why waste your money on an expensive locker? I say either WELD IT!, or spool it. It won't matter on the rd cause the front end is unlocked.

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Lock-Right

4. jekbrown

yeah, but i still wouldnt be able to turn for poop off-road... its an option definitely... but not sure if thats the way I wanna go

J

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I opted for the lock-right. cheap and easy to install. i dont think it will be a permanent option but i will go detroit or arb later in life,

6. jekbrown

cool scoob... can ya still turn ok with the LR?

J

7. jekbrown

ok, big question: if I did weld/spool the front... if I twin-sticked my np205... could I disengage the front with it and turn sharply on-trail or would i still have to get out and unlock hubs just to turn?

J

8. SCOOBYDANNN

turning is a little worse than the posi i had before, but nothing unexpected, but my tires are also bigger. and for you other post---you would still have to unlock a hub to turn even w/ the TC front unlocked because both tires are still turning the same.

9. jekbrown

well, dang it all to hell. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

guess Im still stumped then as to what to do.

J

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'll let you know how 'bad' the Detroit is after this weekend's run to TSF. At Sand Lake it was noticeable on turning diameter but that was under power............when I pulled out of it it went where I wanted.

Nothing more reliable than a Detroit. A cable locker is a good idea, no idea how they hold up long term, not out long enough. ARB too costly and I read too much about breakdowns. Powerlok is THE option for a posi type front - from what I hear. Scottie had a TrakLok in his Bronco, it sucked. My experience with any posi is if you have the torque, you can defeat them easily.

I'll post my findings after Sunday.

11. jekbrown

no big torq engines over here. My 350 isnt all that.

I'll have to ponder the power lock... sounds like it might be an option...

J

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm afraid of using any of the "lunch box" lockers in a front with big tires. There is allot of stress caused by the differential load when the wheels are turned and I just don’t think they are up to it. IMO, for 35” or smaller tires it would be ok, but be leery of it for anything bigger. I wouldn’t weld the front either. If you do, your stuck with it and turning will always be a bear. Me, I’ll be putting in a full Detroit for my D60 so that the 42s won’t kill it. I’ll also twin-stick the 205 so that I can still turn sharp if need be. May even tractor brake it so I can put ‘er in front drive and pivot. That would give a great combination of maneuverability and bullet proof hardware with maximum traction...

13. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Is it easy to twin stick a 205? If its an easy and cheap mod I would consider doin it just for the heck of it. I love it when my friends get in it and ask what all the levers are for and one more would double that reaction./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Evan

14. BadDog

15. jekbrown

i'm dubious as to how much twin sticking would help with respect to pivot-turning with the brakes engaged out back. I mean, if you have a locker and its limiting your turn radius, how does it really help to hit the rear brakes? the front still cant turn for poop. I dunno, I dont have twin stick and a locker up front... so I cant speak from experience... just seems like it wouldnt be all THAT beneficial. All of that said, who IS running that kinda set up? I want the inside scoop before I pay all the $$$$$ to do that shiznit.

J

16. SCOOBYDANNN

it dosn't necessarily work w/ a locker per say--but it does work w/ an ARB in the back.

17. BadDog

Tractor (cutting) brakes will work with a detroit locker in the back, you just need to disengage the rear drive using a twin stick. Once the power is off the rear diff, the locker will disengage allowing you to turn easily and sharply with the inside brake engaged. It also works well with a front locker, resulting in a very tight turn. Much tighter than rear drive with locker and front disconnected (to unlock the front diff). I’ve seen it work on a Jeep and it is quite useful. IIRC, Stephan (ORD) has done this to his K5, or maybe I’m thinking of someone else. I know there are a number of guys on PBB that run this setup successfully. Of course, without a twin stick, cutting brakes are useless without a rear ARB (or other selectable).

18. jekbrown

ok guys, thanks for the advice... I think for now I'll go with the detroit up front, and setting up the twin stick on the 205. No better time than now, the 205 isnt even installed. Later on when I add hydro assist etc, the old brake-pivot move will prolly work even better..

J

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

cool
    I would like to hear your front detroit impressions ASAP

20. jekbrown

it'll be a lil while before I do this swap.. but when I do, yeah, I'll post for sure.

J