Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok, whats the trick to these (#@$%!!) Cadillac calipers ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Mar 17, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've got a set of Cadi calipers for my 14b disk conversion, they fit nicely without the pads in them but I can't get the caliper piston to return to 0 or flat with the caliper. With the pads I'm about 1/8" from them slipping on and the pison is about 1/2" extended from flat. Neither one moves back and I assume it has something to do with the E-Brake mechanism. Consequently, pulling on the ebrake manually moves the piston fine and then it returns to its original position when released. Can anyone throw me a clue?

2. muddevils

muddevils Registered Member

if i'm not mistaken i believe the piston screws in, instead of pushing in like the others.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

That would explain a lot. I noticed some indents on the flat face of the piston but they weren't deep enough to fit any kind of tool... I heard these the piston can pop out if your not carefull with the ebrake lever... I'm hesitent to try and twist it in as it might rip the boot. Any techniques to this out there?

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

If they are the design I'm thinking of. (pretty sure they are)

Remove the parking brake actuator lever from the back of the caliper and compress the piston like normal. This allows the parking brake to unthread as needed.

You can also push in and thread the piston in, but it's a bit of a pain in the ars, there is a tool that makes the job a little easier.

I'd just remove the parking brake actuator.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Twizted, has anyone said "You Rock!" lately, because they should! It worked as described! I had a hunch that I should do that, but after the ebrake lever stories, didn't want to fall into the same trap without talking with someone in the know. Thanks

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

BorregoK5:
    "Twizted, has anyone said "You Rock!"

Well, don't keep it a secret, tell everyone you know -K-/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i ran into the same problem today. so i decided to take apart tthe darn caliper. i had an extra one/forums/images/icons/smile.gif. i was able to put it back together with no problem. true about screwingin the caliper instead of just forcing it back in. it was not as bad as people say. but i still can't get the darn pads in, i still need about 1/4 inch.

ARQ.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Mine didn't screw at all, but once the ebrake lever was removed then the caliper opened up all the way with very little effort. Now it fits perfectly. It sounds like we have different calipers, mine are from a 76 el Dorado... what year was yours?

9. René

René 1/2 ton status

Sorry!
    But what's an "e-brake"?

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

emergency or parking brake

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

It's a parking brake, or emergency brake.

12. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

just use worn pads hahah !

13. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i am using 77 el dorado calipers. they should be the same up to 79, i think.

i was thinking about grinding them down or something, not sure how difficult that would be or healthy.

ARQ.

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, those should be the same... intersting. Did you pop off the ebrake lever and use a c-clamp to return the piston back to flush? Thats what I did and didn't need much pressure with the c-clamp to do so, it moved freely. Are you positive those came off an el dorado (I ask because a junk yard tried to push a different set on me before I found mine, and they looked very similar but not quite big enough to fit on the rotor with pads). I pulled the set I have now myself (Pick Your Part) so I'm sure of the donor. By the way, theres another complete hydraboost package down there! We'll have to get together and hit up Baja soon!

15. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

yeap,
    i did the same i got them off a "full size" cady at the otay pickapart.
    the mounting holes meassure 7" from bolt to bolt, these are the larger size calipers.

does the piston in the caliper go flush with the cylinder or does it stick out about 1/4 inch?? that's probably the 1/4" that i need to fit them in.

ARQ.

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Mine flushed up completely flat with the caliper with the c-clamp. I brought the pads home as well with the calipers since they were in nearly new condition and with the pads it slipped on easily, although I'm a bit concerned that new pads might not fit (if it does it will be extrememly tight).

What are your plans for mounting them? I noticed the popular mounting is to reverse the sides (right side goes on the left and vice versa) in order to keep the e-brake lever from hanging down below the axle. The makes the bleeder screw upside down though so in order to bleed the brakes you have to unmount the caliper and flip it upside down, requiring flexible brake lines. I mounted my calipers high (to the rear of the wheel and 1/4 up, basicly 1 o clock position). The e-brake lever doesn't hang low in this position, the cable can be tube protected , the bleeder remains in the proper location and there is no swapping sides.

17. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I guess i still need to push in the piston a bit more. if not i'm gonna grind those suckers down.

as for mounting them, i also ended up at the 1 and 11oClock positions. but i will have to remove the caliper to bleed it. i'll check it agian when i get home. if not oh well it's not like i will bleed them every day.

ARQ.

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the different styles, but the piston should compress all the way, so it's flush or very close to flush. The dust boot should fold in on it's self neatly. Whats the boot look like? Is it folded in completely, or does it look like there is more to go? Is it possible tthat you might not have the correct rotor? How thick was the stock Caddie roter?

Also, the caliper should be mounted with a flexible hose. The caliper is a floating design and will move as the brakes are applied, and as the brake pads wear. So, if it's mounted with solid tubeing, it might stress the brake line and possibly crack the line. Or it might not allow the caliper to move freely (very-important) and will cause premature brake rotor/pad wear.

19. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, now that I look at it your right, I'll have to use rubber lines! Thanks for posting with that, would have been a terrible mistake to find out on the trail!

20. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Not a problem, Glad I could help.

BTW, I dig the sig/forums/images/icons/smile.gif