Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok, when are the portland-area PNW guys planning on leaving?

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by jekbrown, Feb 27, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my gf needs to know waaay in advance when the moab thing will be going on so she can get days off at work. To that end, I thought I'd ask when you portland-area guys plan on running the caravan on down there. Yahoo maps says its a 1000.3 mile trip from portland OR to Moab UT via I-84 etc. Sounds like a 2 day trek to me, unless you want sleepy drivers and hot engines. If thats the case, would us portland-area guys be leaving on the 21st? Maybe start early and drive from portland to some-where-between Boise and Salt Lake on that 1st day (approx 500 mi), and then the rest of the way the next? That'd let us set up our camping spot or cabin on whatever was left of the 22nd and then to rest up and be ready to roll on the 23rd when the fun begins.

I dunno, I am just throwing out ideas. What do you guys think? At some point, and it should prolly be soon, we need to figure out these kinds of things so when the event actually is upon us, we can just have fun and enjoy it and not worry about logistical poo-poo. ;)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

2. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Jason, curently we have the site starting noon on Aug. 23rd to noon on Aug. 26th. So for us to arrive there Aug. 22nd we would need to reserve the site for an additonal day. This is not a problem, I just need to find out how many people will be there on which days. I guess I need to re-state this on the group site post.

My original tenative plan was to leave here the night of the 22nd and drive to Pendleton and stay the night at my Dads. ( I grew up in Pendleton) Then leave like 5:00 AM the next morning ( Aug. 23rd ) and drive the remaining 15 hours, putting us in Moab around 10:00 PM. Of couse this is pushing it. Your plan sounds viable as well. We just need to find out how many days everybody can get off, and when they want to leave. I can be flexible.

Mike.

&lt;a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/search.php?searchstring=heavymetal&gt;pics&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by heavymetal on 02/27/02 07:28 PM.</FONT></P>

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I would rather do a 2 part trec for the trip, like what Jason said, go half way then stop for a rest, them make a final push. I guess we could roll into Moab the morning of the 23rd and hang out til noon to dump our things at the campsite. How far is Boise from Moab? I have a brother in Boise...Let me go get my atlas.
    Think Kodak will do a group buy on film[​IMG]
    Mike-
    what are we down to, 175 days??

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

4. Heavymetal

Ok I was doing a little research on mapquest. It looks like to me that somewhere near Ogden, Utah would be the best midway point. This would give us a 12.5 hour drive from Portland to Ogden for the 1st day, say the 22nd. Then the next morning, the 23rd, leave by 6:00 AM, and drive the remaining 6.5 hours, putting us there just past noon. How does this sound?

Mike.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/search.php?searchstring=heavymetal>pics</a>

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

That sounds good.
    BTW how many days we down to?
    lol I should probably ask and see if anyone in my family wants to go,LOL they know nothing about my plans of the great trec to MOAB.[​IMG]

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

that sounds ok hvymetal, but I'd personally prefer to get to the site *well* before the noon kick off of the event. Give me plenty of time to swap tires, let the rig cool down, set up my little camp area and all that jazz. I don't wanna hit the trails with the temp of all my fluids already jacked up by flyin at high rpm on the hwy. ;) If our reservations at the camp site dont start until the 23rd...and the event kicks off at noon...Id prefer to get to the site 3-4 hrs before hand. Maybe 9-ish at the latest. Only problem I can see with that is that it might mean some wacky driving times on the interstates. Not like we can't drive in the dark or anything, i was just thinking that I'd like to keep my sleep schedule somewhat normal so I'm not passing out on the trail. I guess thats mainly why I wanted to leave the 21st and get there late on the 22nd...set up camp, set up rig, talk to peeps, then sleep and hit the trail with a fresh mind/body in a rig that was ready to rock. ;)

anyway, i might be the only wacko thinking this way. If not, and it sounds good to other PNW CK5ers, maybe we should put in a reserve for the 22nd heavymetal. i dunno. &lt;shrugs&gt;

BTW, what are you guys thinking for sleeping arrangements on the way there and back? I dunno about you guys, but gas is gonna cost me plenty of ca$h already...I'd rather not stay in hotels and stuff on the way, thats just to much extra $ for no real reason. I'd prolly just rack out in my rig at a rest stop. What are you guys planning on doing?

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Rene said:
    "Just looking at the Calendar...I think I want to arrive at the Slickrock campground late thursday afternoon (Aug 22) and leave the Tuesday morning (Aug 27). That should leave 4 full days without setting up or packing up to enjoy the wheeling etc.

I guess departure would have to be early (6 am) Wednesday the 21st of Aug, possibly hooking up with a few other guys in Pendleton OR along the way. I'd be looking at stopping for the night a couple of hours past Boise ID and making it to Moab by late afternoon of the 22nd."

I'll be following Rene, if I can keep up,[​IMG]to Moab. Don't want to get lost[​IMG]

How many of you can hookup with us in the Pendleton area? Would convoy from there to Moab. Anyone know of a good overnite campground past Boise? Nothing fancy, just a place to park overnite is fine with me.

87 K5, 427/340hp BBC,4.56 D60 &amp; 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM rear disc's,

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'm in for the Rene express[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

9. Sparky87k5

OK then, the tRusty Rene Express leaves Surrey, BC 6am 8/21/02 for Moab. Figure 2 days for Rene to get thru customs,[​IMG] 1 day for Immigration[​IMG] and another because Border Patrol is going to have his number[​IMG]. He'll arrive in time to start home[​IMG]

87 K5, 427/340hp BBC,4.56 D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM rear disc's,

10. Heavymetal

Ok it sounds like everyone wants to get there on the 22nd, so I will call Monday and add that day. As far as when we leave, I am flexible.

Mike.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/search.php?searchstring=heavymetal>pics</a>

11. Sparky87k5

Nice truck Mike, you've been a busy guy swapping bodies and all. You can be proud of the efforts though[​IMG].

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL...we'll be leaving your place on the 21st. I'll be leaving in July sometime[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

13. Heavymetal

Yea, to bad I have to tear it all apart and start over. I need to replace the frame and rebuild the engine.

Mike.

14. Karphreek

Karphreek Registered Member

guess you'd better get busy huh?.......so when are we meeting up in Pendleton?.......there's a huge parking lot and truck stop there at Wildhorse just before Cabbage hill and deadmans pass.............Just wanna get my dates and times lined up..........Thanks again for all your efforts on the campsite.........can't wait to meet ya'll,
    Jared

15. Sparky87k5

Rene said:
    "I guess departure would have to be early (6 am) Wednesday the 21st of Aug, possibly hooking up with a few other guys in Pendleton OR along the way."

So, as the leader of the tRusty Rene Express, he'll be leaving Surrey, BC at 6am, (not sure if he cleared this with his wife[​IMG]), so figure we should arrive in Pendleton about 6-7 hours later. So figure about 12noon - 1pm arrival time at the truck stop parking lot. Anyone know what CB channel we'll run? Need someone that will definitly be there to have a cell phone and I'll PM our cell phone numbers to. Can keep tabs of progress that way. Just in case Rene has to pull me into Pendleton[​IMG].

16. Heavymetal

Noon to 1:00 PM at the truck stop in Pendleton on the 21st sounds good to me.

Mike.

17. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

well guys,was on this site the other day.so just got word of the moab thing.its a place ive always wanted to go.on that note,im trying to work out the details this week for planning to go.im in puyallup,and would be driving down with all of you from the PNW.its looking pretty good so far though.girlfriend wants to go.ifshe can get the time off.so ill let you all know for sure when iget it figured out

shane

73,K5,14ff welded,44front,4.10s,465,doubler,36`s

18. Sparky87k5

Thats cool Shane, hope you can meet with us all at Pendelton. OR. You can also tagged onto the tRusty Rene Express coming down I5 and onto I90 towards Yakama in the morning of the 21st.

19. Karphreek

Karphreek Registered Member

So...........1pm at the wildhorse truckstop? Sounds good to me...........I'm sure my neighbor will have his phone with him. I can double check that, and get back to ya....

20. Sparky87k5

Cool Jared, catch us at the truck stop and we'll head down the road together. Rene will head up the express, so don't get in his way, you all know how those Canadians drive /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif, well maybe you don't/forums/images/icons/wink.gif. Got this idea from those California guys, check out map <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&amp;do=nw&amp;2ex=1&amp;src=maps&amp;ct=NA&amp;1ah=x2mcnU4TDKOlE2jnQA%252baZ%252b%252fd51w5vDG5rdabI3ve%252f6wKq9mf9Y%252fKGGgSna9AdfJEaWC6DkmQ6ic%253d&amp;1a=&amp;1p=&amp;1c=&amp;1s=&amp;1z=&amp;1y=US&amp;2s=UT&amp;2c=Moab&amp;2ic=31&amp;2ex=1&amp;2g=qL7mN1mf9UYndPok1qZlbg%253d%253d&amp;2y=US&amp;2l=lOTlxPZuA8E%253d&amp;lr=2&amp;x=40&amp;y=11>PNW map</a>