Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok, who has a car hauling trailer anywhere near portland?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by jekbrown, Nov 11, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Got a non-running Burb I wanna buy for parts. No way to get it home... its 30 miles from me. Suggestions? I am seriously considering signing up for AA and just calling from the guys house "yeah, I broke down out here... need a tow home!" :grin: :thumb:

j

2. jekbrown

See that a years worth of AAA "Plus" is only $86... and they will tow you up to 100 miles for free. Sounds like it might be an option. My wife would like to be covered anyway...

j

3. jekbrown

how about using one of those 'A' shaped tow bars, pulling the rear driveline and flat towing it home? can you rent them somewhere? thoughts?

j

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Maybe U-Haul??? but I think they stopped renting them...

5. jekbrown

checked uhauls site... only car trailers they have are for cars under 4000 pounds... dont think a 3/4 ton burb would make it. :grin:

hopefully the guy still has it... either AAA or the Kenny Express will get 'er home. :thumb:

Man, I can only imagine what its going to be like once I have the tow rig (with flatbed and hoist) and a trailer beefy enough to haul fullsize trucks. Phone will prolly be ringing off the hook. lol! :grin: :thumb:

j

6. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

howabout one of thoes bumper mounted tow bars?? my buddy used it to tow his 1978-9? chevy car hauler 150 miles after he bought it, with his 1500.... the tow bar was the strap on kind

7. grundy99

grundy99 1/2 ton status

There is a place on 99 that rents those for like $40 a day. If you want i can call my friend that rented one and get all the particulars for you.
    Also, I have AAA plus.

8. jekbrown

I think I got everything arranged... so long as the guy still has it. Kenny is gonna bring his car hauler and help. :thumb:

Cool beans, think its worth it? Their web site says they'll tow a rig (3/4 ton max!) up to 100 miles for free to a destination of your choice. Regular AAA its 5 miles and they wanna take it to a shop or storage site (lame). My wife would really like to be covered anyway... might sign up even if I get this rig home on a trailer.

btw, you interested in the stock dash from my K5? don't wanna ship the thing, and everyone that is interested in it lives a bazillion miles away. lol! Its blue and matches the doors I sold ya. :thumb: Speaking of doors.. I wish I had my K5s doors back now, my tow rig could really use them, lol!! ;)

j

9. grundy99

grundy99 1/2 ton status

Sure, I will probably be out by your place sooner or later.

I still have the doors off my truck, I dont think im going to be using them.

10. jekbrown

sounds like a plan, it'll be here. :thumb:

why not? change of plans? Both drivers and passenger doors on my 75 tow rig are pretty nasty. Previous owner removed the towing mirrors (no idea why) and put some POS little tiny mirrors on instead... and then he/she left the mounting holes just open. Naturally water poured into the holes and started the cancer in the bottom of the door. The pass door is really bad, it has two 2-3" long cracks in it where rust is just killing the door from the inside out. I'd buy 'em back from ya, but I'd rather find some manaul-window doors if I could, just cause it'd be easier to swap them in.

j

11. grundy99

grundy99 1/2 ton status

I meant the manual doors that came off my truck. I still have the ones that i bought off you and i am going to use them on my new truck that i am getting.
    I trashed the frame on my truck so it is getting retired.

12. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

13. jekbrown

oh ok, cool. :thumb: If I can get this burb home.. and it has manual doors I'll prolly just rob them from it. Its gonna get parted anyway. If I don't get it, I'll remember ya have a set. :thumb:

j