Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ok WTF !!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by onlychevy6, Feb 2, 2007.

1. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

I have destroyed 2 speedo cables in the last month. Both cables from different part stores. one from Napa and the other Kragen. Where can you find the piece that the speedo cable connects to on the np205 transfer case? Yes it is mechanical. That is where the cable is shredding? Or does anyone have any other suggestions. Not to mention it is off by 10 mph on the gauge. Says i am going 60 when it should say 70 mph?

Thanks

2. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you have a new speedo gear cut when you went to bigger tires? Was it calibrated when you had 35's? That's why it's reading slower.

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get a cheap GPS

4. onlychevy6

No i did not have anything done to it. All we did when it was at Mikes was put everything in and go. So it has never been calibrated. I know that needs to be done but don't remember how.:confused:

5. hidesertwheelin

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you install the cable lube when you put the new cable in? There is a lube called cable eaze that you put into the cable housing so that the cable doesn't bind and twist up and break.

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

if the cables are too short, or routed in such a way that they must make tight corners, they'll bind inside the sheath and break.

8. onlychevy6

I would have to say yes. Each time i bought a cable it came with some red looking lube.

9. onlychevy6

The cables are 84" long so i know there is plenty length. Only thing i can think f is my exhaust is heating it up and causing this to shred. but it is only doing do at the transfer case screw in thing. Not about 6" back or so where the exhaust runs.(I am running dual exhaust)

10. onlychevy6

if i read that correctly that is for 2wd tranny's i have the 4wd th350. And if i remember correctly when the tranny was re-built i believe we told them i was running 4.10 gears? I will have to ask.

11. Arizcowboy

Arizcowboy Registered Member

Cool. I am new to K5 forums and I can tell already there is going to be lots of useful information on here for me to learn from! I just happen to have a broken speedo cable. The cable is broken right where it goes into my NP205 case. I havent bothered to fix it yet, as I prefer to use an onboard GPS anyways! :) But I guess I could get under there and fix it just to see how far it is off!

Arizcowboy

12. hidesertwheelin

There is a section talking about the difference between gear sizes on 2wd chevys and 2wd Pontiacs, buicks, olds. That's what I thin you say. I don't think 2wd or 4wd makes a difference, as the calculator is only asking for the number of teeth.

13. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got my speedo cable from LMC and its pretty good quality. And it fits nicely