Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OK, you guys are in trouble now... (crossover issues)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Why didn't anyone tell me about Sky Manufacturing arms before I went and wasted a whole bunch of money on an arm from another company that I can't even use? This crossover thing has wasted a BUNCH of money for me. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I would have just gotten the ORD one, but to be honest I feel that it is way too expensive. $160 and doesn't even include the studs and nuts. Here are the Sky arms I just found that I'm goig to get to replace teh other POS that I bought, these Skys are $135 including hardware /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif-

[​IMG]

The story goes - Shaggy buys steering arm from an un-named manufacturer. Steering arm is junk, completely unusable. Steering arm is tapered for DLEs instead of TREs, which Shaggy finds out after the purchase, since the ad states that they are tapered for TREs. Shaggy orders Rockstomper draglink with the stupid weak-ass DLE end on steering arm end so it will match his as-yet-undelivered steering arm. Steering arm arrives, and is junk. Shaggy returns steering arm, but is stuck with brand new draglink with a DLE on one end. Nobody else makes a steering arm for a DLE. Now Shaggy needs to buy ANOTHER draglink with proper end on it to match a quality steering arm. Shaggy has wasted $175 dollars on useless Rockstomper paperweight. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

(I'm kidding about it being anyone's fault but my own) Anybody need a Rockstomper draglink, brand new never used? I'll give ya a good deal on it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't get it...whats so bad about those arms other than the taper hole? They don't look that bad and they do look a little beefy being so thick and all.
    Couldn't you have just sent it back to Sky and tell them which end you wanted instead? They could have either given you a new arm or just redrilled the hole out to the proper size. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I think he is saying the ones in the pic from Sky are the ones he is going to get. An unnamed mfg (savvy surfers of CK5 know who it is) is the one that sent him the junk arm.

Shaggy;
    What, besides the taper, makes the arm you got garbage? Is it poor workmanship or what? Just curious, I was considering purchasing some other parts, and want to stay away if the products are crap...

Where is the A-Tron crossover arm????? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

No the crappy arm was made by some other person not Sky. Shaggy didn't post a picture of the crappy one. Evan I bet Scott would change the one end on that DL for you. He seems like a standup guy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    (savvy surfers of CK5 know who it is)

[/ QUOTE ] i guess i'm not savvy, what ever the hell that means. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

They might be talking about Jarvis maybe. I got both of my arms from him but I was able to make it all work out.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Tim, the taper isn't even that huge of a deal, this is the big deal - check out the location of the hole for the kingpin spring, it's offset a full 1/4" forward. This thing NEVER should have been sold, it should have gone into the scrap pile.

[​IMG]

ALso, something that I didn't think about until I received this arm - people put a 10 degree angle on the end of these arms, but if there isn't an angle on both the top and the bottom, it's useless. The taper hole goes straight into the arm, since there is no angle milled into the bottom, the DLE can't go straight into that or else the castle nut can't seat right. Hard to explain, I hope you understand. Basically, milling just the top is useless.

Bruce - the problem is that the DLE has a long shank, if I just swapped it to a TRE then the draglink would be about 6" too short. It's a custom link so I can't return it.

The arm I got is not a Jarvis. The guy is standing behind the arm and is going to give me a refund for it so I don't really want to say who it is. PM me if you want to talk about it.</font>

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    check out the location of the hole for the kingpin spring, it's offset a full 1/4" forward

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif That is pretty damn bad. Glad to hear it is going to get made good. Where did you find those Sky arms?? Those look /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is junk. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Evan which is longer the DL for a 60 or a 44? Or maybe Scott would be able to use that on a Jeep or some thing else that takes a shorter arm and give you a part cerdit for returning it? Just trying to save you some money here. After getting screwed by you know who already with that crappy arm.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I am going to try to work out something with Scott, but it says right on the website that there are no returns on custom parts. This DL is one of the bent ones and was made for a fullsize GM with a 6" lift and a DLE on one end, so it's probably not a real common request. I also painted it already, so that's not going to help my cause. The Sky arms also sit 3/4" higher than any other arm and this draglink was borderline dropped too much anyways, so I need to have one made with about 1.5" less drop. I've come to terms with it... I'm hoping that he'll take the DLE back for credit on a TRE, and I'll keep the one TRE that came with my draglink. Hopefully that will get the price down closer to $100.

I found the Sky arms surfing Pirate looking for a good quality arm. They are easily the nicest ones I've seen, I definately would have gotten one in the first place if I had seen them earlier.</font>

12. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They might be talking about Jarvis maybe. I got both of my arms from him but I was able to make it all work out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think so? I duno, i've heard good things abour jarvis.

13. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Hey Shaggy does Sky Manufacturing have a website? If not could you pm me there phone number?

Those arms look really beefy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

15. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

If your arm is made by who I think it is, there was a guy on RockSkullz that got a bad arm from them too. They did make it right with him. His problem was with the 10* angle not machined on both sides, and the hole drilled parralell to the mouning surface, not the taper. Good Luck.

/forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why not post the facts here. I do know who we're talking about and I'm awefully tempted to just say who the original arm is made by. Not to be vindictive but the quality sure doesn't seem to be there.

If the manufacturer can't get a steering arm right I think his products should be avoided. I also think others here should know who they are.

That's MHO...

Rene

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ahhhhhhhhhh...yes, my time where I misunderstood the thread and did not read it very thoroughly. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I went back and reread it again and yes, you guys are right. Those arms from Sky do look awesome and very beefy. After seeing the picture of the crappy arm, I agree that thing should NOT have been sold nor made available to the public like that. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm torn on weather or not to post who made it. On one hand, it's junk and people should know that. On the other hand, he is giving me a refund. Let's say this - if he gives me a complete refund then I'm not going to post who made it. If I end up eating shipping then I'll post up who it is since I'll still be getting screwed to some extent. </font>

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I disagree Evan. It's not up to me though. Posting the name might get them to smarten up and improve the product. Even if he is a nice guy about it, the product is still crap.

Rene

20. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status