Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok,,,,

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wasted wages, Mar 20, 2006.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I know I'm a fat ****er,,,,have never really exercised and never watched what I eat,,but with the passing of my last birthday I decided to do something about my lifestyle and getting in better shape.

So since the second week in january I have been eating less and walking and in 10 week I have walked over 350 miles and lost 38.8 lbs !!

I feel so much better and am not really starving,,I am not approaching this as a "diet " but as a life style change-

I have never been a runner (I don't think people should run unless being chased !!:haha: ) So I was wondering if anyone else has any idea's about how to take a low impact workout to the next level ? and what works for you as a weekly workout routine...

2. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ride a bike

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Bike is good or try hiking. Anything that will make you lift your knees higher. And way to go:waytogo: 80% of winning is showing up. (I don't remember who said that first, but its often true.)

4. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Something I did was to cut soda out. I'll only drink it mixed with liquor. When I go out to lunch or dinner, I'll usually order a water. I was drinking about 3 liters of Coke a day. I completely cut it out a year ago and I really don't miss it.

BTW: Congratz on the weight loss and getting into better shape.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought a mountain bike to get a little exercise. Dang near got runned over!!!! :o

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I walk my mutts or they walk me. Got a Total Gym, and changed some eating habits. Try to eat good for you snacks fruit and veges. Cut out cheese on sandwiches, use mustard instead of mayo, NORMAL PORTION SIZES, Cut out sugar in coffee, no butter or margarine on toast, salads instead of fries with fast food and stick with a single burger or chicken or fish. Basically just watch calories and more important than anything else drink water, I always have a water jug handy. I still snack bad sometimes but in moderation and if I have a bad for me snack or meal today I try and eat good for you stuff tomorrow.

7. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congrats on your results so far! I would stick with the modified diet and increase your aerobic activity slightly if any. The fact that you lost nearly 40 pounds in 10 weeks says that you are definately on the right track. I second riding a bike if you are looking to change things up. Also, cutting out sodas like ARAMP1 did is an easy way to get rid of empty calories. Keep it up man!

8. wasted wages

Thanks for the replies,,

I have basically been doing all of what you said and then some,,NO fast food
    and mostly veggies and fruits and small portions of meat,chicken and fish,

I ride my mountain bike on the weekends when I can,as well as my 10 miles that I walk on the weekend ,does anyone have any experiance with an eliptical machine ?? and are there any out there that are good for home use or are most of them cheap junk?

9. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

believe it or not Jump rope is a very good source of cardio. Or even change up your current walking. Like walk your normal pace for a minute or two. then do a speed walk for a minute or two. And just alternate. By the way Great Job so far.

Many of us make excuses to not be in shape.(my self included) I used to be very fit. until i retired from sports 2 years ago. then all hell broke loose. replaced my ACL and kidney stoones. Wow i put on your almost 40 lbs. LOL...

The total gym also is a good tool to use. i personally have one also.

10. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I swap swimming for running whenever I'm sore/hurt. Good cardio and no impact. It is a little too chilly this time of year.:crazy:

11. wasted wages

Thanks guy's,,

just got back from my lunchtime walk,,,3 miles- 48 min-16 min per mile

another walk whenI get home tonight,,,,3-4 miles depends on how I feel at the end of 3

The pool idea sounds good,,how much time do you swap in place of running?

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I think I generally swim about a third to half the amount of time I would have run. I normally run 45-75 minutes. So probably 20-30 minutes. Swimming seems a lot tougher than running to me. :doah:

13. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Wasted,

I have been working out since I was 12 (32 now) and I can tell you that if you are walking that much at that pace you are doing great and really don't need to add anything unless you just want some variety. Another alternative would be do some resistance training. Most people don't think of this as "cardio" but it can be. It's easier to do with dumbbells or machine weights b/c you won't have time to change weight on a barbell. Anyway, pick about 8-10 excercises, do one and immediately go to the next machine. When you are done start over. Do 3-5 sets on each machine (probably start with 3) and you will get an excellent cardio AND resistance workout. The good thing is that you typically wouldn't do a great deal of weight b/c you are doing higher reps. Easier on the joints. Props for sticking with it. I've got a buddy trying to talk me into a triathlon. Never done one and don't think I could last. He swears I can. He was just flat out fat and started training for his first one a year ago. He lost 40 lbs. Maybe that's something to consider. :bow:

14. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I'm a skinny bastard, so I've got some...

Swim
    Ride Bike
    Rollerblade maybe?
    Lightly jog
    Speed walk
    Walk for 10 minutes, jog for 2, then walk for 10 more
    buy some ankle weights ;)
    Try walking through sand....:)

15. wasted wages

My wife is really the insipation behind all of this,,she is very athletic,,works out daily and has run the Houston marathon twice now (26 miles )

She is pushing me to walk it with her next January,,

16. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Best cardio ever!!! :woot:

[​IMG]

Ah, j/k.... Well, actually i'm not.. Better workouts then when i ran 10 miles a day.. But the broken bones inhibit consistent workouts... :doah: :haha:

It sounds like your doing great! As the others said, biking is awesome! Whenever i've had to recover from knee surgeries, thats my hardcore workout, very low impact... You can really push yourself biking.. Much better on the knees than walking and running.. That and swimming... Light weight, high rep, lifting will do you wonders too...

My sis swears by her eliptical machine.. I've never used one, but they appear to be good...

17. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I agree with 84k5 about swimming, my uncle has done this for years and has kept his weight done in doing so....

ARAMP1, how has this done for weight loss? I drink atleasted 2 to 4 liters of Pepsi a day...

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

CONGRATS on the weight loss brother.:D

19. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

My wife has done a few marathons herself. NOT me. I can't do that. I am really considering this triathlon though (its a short one). A friend of mine gave me his bike last weekend so now I have that end of it covered. I have been running about 3 miles and I think I could go up to 5 if I had to. The swimming kinda worries me. I don't think they let you use the little floaties :D .You can get a book about Triathlon training by a guy named Eric Harr. He has a program that will get you going and ready in 6 weeks. I bought it and its really got some good info even if you don't compete. With your determination I'm sure you could do it. I love lifting weights. Its the cardio I'm trying to get motivated on. Congrats again and keep us posted on your progress.

20. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

275 on jan 1st. 224 sat march 18th. i was smoking 1 pack a day........

1.5 hours a DAY on an elliptical machine. i dont have time to go longer, so i have incresed the resistance. it goes 1~10 on intensity and i am now keeping it at 10 for over an hour (not continuous). i dont skip meals, im not on atkins. i eat low(er) carbs. i eat 3 to 6 times a day..... depends on what i have going on.

[​IMG]