Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ok...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Nov 19, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

My mechanic says that since im running an open differntial i am messing up my spider gears when only 1 tire spins extremly fast when im stuck or pulling somone out etc. So i should get a posi to help it. He says eaton makes one with badass bearings etc that make it as strong as a 12bolt... shouild i go for this? Thanks.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next...highflow cat, single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

2. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

On your next list you have high flow exhaust. I dont know how serious you are abut offroading. But a Posi or a locker would definatley help you out off road. I would sugest looking at a detroit or if you got the cash an ARB locker.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Sound like there is more to the story than you have posted.
    Sides gears and spider gears are designed to turn, for many, many, many times !
    Good luck

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What kinda posi was that...? Whats your opinion? is the mechanic is lying? trying to cheat me out of money?

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.

6. mudhog

no im not saying he is lying just saying dont go with a posi if you wheel hard at all i had my eaton blow up on me and i was wheeling in the sand when it hapend i am just sugesting getting something better

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

That post wasnt implied for you... executioner said something like " there is something more... spiders and side gears can turn many times" But what my guy was saying was... that since only one wheel was spinning many many times and very very fast... when i was stuck and when i pulled my friend out (i got up to high speeds for popping people out)
    that it induced damage to my already worn spider gears and sidegears and he said a posi would help wheels turn together... also... mud, arent 10bolts extremly weak and prone to blow when a detroit or something is added?

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It shouldn't make a difference, but if they are that far shot that spinning a tire is going to cause a problem, you shouldn't be driving it. You can replace just the spider and side gears, but at that point you might as well put in a limited slip or locker. It will be governed by your intended use and your wallet.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

9. mudhog

yes 10bolts are very weak a 12bolt is slightly stronger but not worth going from 10b to 12b i would go with a 14bff you should be able to find one around for under $200 and a detroit for that is only $300 vs $535 for a 10 or 12bolt.

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333