Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Okay ... Axle swap support

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by khotmer, Jul 14, 2003.

1. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

WHere is the best place to support a 79 K5 when doing an swap?

2. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Good solid heavy duty jackstands if you don't have any I'm betting you could rent them cheap put them right behind the rear hanger of the front springs on the frame near the front cab mounts Make sure its good and stable BEFORE you start working what ever you do do noy use cinder blocks they can crumble very easily and then you'll be in deep ( I LOVE JEEPS ) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif are you doing front or rear axles ??? if your doing the rear a good spot is the front spring hanger for the rear springs

4. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

well I have 3 ton jack stands but how do I make up the difference in hight?

5. yellowK20

Blocks wood blocks go to the lumber yard and get you some 2"x12" boards cut them into lengths start with about a 20" inch piece and work your way up to the top one being 12" in a pyramid and nail/screw them together until you have a block that is tall enough to make up your differance the wider the block the safer and possibly a steel plate on top of the blocks to keep the stands from digging into the wood

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

we used cinder blocks to do the axle swap on chevy4wd's truck, but then we also used just jacks while we were swapping the axles and things got kind of hairy....how high do you need it to be to roll an axle in and out??

7. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

not sure I havent measured yet ( i dont have an axel yet) but I have a 4" lift

8. yellowK20

The reason I say dont use cinder blocks (even if you stand them on edge ) is I had a truck (72 W-300 power wagon crewcab )crumble the cinder blocks it was on while I was pulling the axles and pinned me between it and the car it was next to for almost 5 minutes before my dad and grandpa heard me yelling and came out to help me I ended up with a broke collorbone and 4 cracked ribs That was when I was 15 and i still get the chills when I see a car up on "BlOCKS"

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

I made these in about tem minutes, its a 2x10 that i cut and screwed together

10. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

great Idea...thanks

its so easy no wonder i couldnt think of it..... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I always seem to make things more complicated than they need to be.. Thanks again.

11. yellowK20

cool, That's kinda what I was describeing above The ones I built were about 24" long on the bottom and stepped up to the top one being about 12" long I also screwed a piece of rope between the bottom board and the next in a loop to use as a handle they can also double as wheel chocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif