Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

okay how does this sound??? turbo'd suburban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Aug 28, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

okay how does this sound??? turbo\'d suburban

ok wen i grad from UTI next october my mom and dad are gettin me a GMPP base 350HO, 330hp out of the box. i wanna put a turbo on it. a garret T88 like on the new superduties. my roommate has one and hes gonna get a banks powerpack for it so hes gonna give me the stock intercooler and maybe the turbo if he gets another one, if not ill buy one. ill have to have custom headers made up and all the plumbing will be custom done but its doable. id have to get like a TPI intake setup cuz theres no way the tbi and turbo will get along. ive got the room under the hood for it and no one i know has a turbo'd suburban. so im gonna do it im determined. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: okay how does this sound??? turbo\'d suburban

have fun. EFI and TUrbo won't be all that fun. Lots of tuning, you better learn how to do it or else it will get real expensive real quick. Power stroke intercoolers aren't very good(there is a reason they get replaced), they only really use half the cooler cause it enters and exits at the bottom. The rest is wasted space. Look on Ebay you can find nice intercoolers cheap. Banks kit doesn't come with a replacement turbo just a new turbo housing so unless he wants to spend money on a whole new turbo thats not happening. I don't feel like looking it all up but how do you know the T88 is the best turbo for you? Will want to do a cam change likely too. Get you some better power output. What trans you running? 700R4 ain't gonna take turbo 350 abuses. Otherwise sounds sweet. I was just designing a turbo Pontiac 400 about an hour ago. Turbos can be quite the sweet items.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Turbo = rice. Who's brainwashing you? First the clear tails post, now this nonsense? C'mon man.

Don't everyone go off on me about Syclones, Typhoons, and GNs/T types. Those were the only cool turbocharged American cars ever made, and NONE had V8s.

If you want real power, honestly, build a motor, don't waste your money on that crate. I can have my machinist build a BAD ASS 383 with a warranty for $3k.

4. muddysub

well like i said im going to UTI so by the time i graduate ill be able to do all this stuff., hmm never heard that about the PSD coolers maybe ill look for another one. iplanned on a cam change anyway and probably some head rork to lower the compression a lil bit and make em flow faster. i kno that banks doesnt make a turba hes looking at an ATS turba. im not positive about the t88 thats just wat i was thinkin since its on big heavy trucks. and thats what my suburban falls into. oh and i have a th400 thatll be gettin a reverse manual valve body and some other goodies.

turbos are not rice they started on diesels in the rocky mountains a looong time before ricers got ahold of em. and u have to admit a turbo'd suburban on 38" TSLs would be fawkin sick!

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

turbo'd burbs are old news.... (think 6.2 and 6.5)

after I finish my current run of mods on mine, new exhaust, stereo, axle swap , more lift and bumpers I'll do a turbo about this time next year.

6. muddysub

[ QUOTE ]
    If you want real power, honestly, build a motor, don't waste your money on that crate. I can have my machinist build a BAD ASS 383 with a warranty for $3k.

[/ QUOTE ] yea and id be just another chevy truck with a stroker motor. nothin special there. i used to want a 383 really bad and id still like to have one but i wanna do something different.

7. muddysub

the 6.2 was naturally aspirated

8. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

easy option to make it turbo though

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Good luck. UTI will not teach you how to set everything up to run correctly. My buddy went there and graduated last year. The hotrod class is just building a chevy 350. Also turbos hate heat, so I wouldnt recomend using one in AZ or vegas. I would if I was back east. They also create alot of heat under the hood. My buddies GN runs like crap in the summer out here cause of the heat. I also wouldt start with that motor. You need 8.5:1 compression or lower, so you will have to change pistons, and possibly heads. Your best bang for the buck would be a supercharger. If you tun a serpintine setup, I would recomend a ATI procharger sertup. It is an intercoolded supercharger setup. Works great, and is around $3,100 plus install. But it is up to you. Oh yea, if you run a stock powerstroke turbo expect 17-20 psi of boost, which means bye bye 350 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the 6.2 was naturally aspirated

[/ QUOTE ]

"was" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

youll need lower compression or youl blow the heads off. Most little ricer cars whith turbos only ru n a 5:1 compression ratio belive it or not. You may whant to be diferent but unless you spend lots of cash bulding that motor to handle a turbo it will be alot more trouble than its worth.

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

That clip of the Grand National floating around the other day showed a twin turbo'd v-8, and it was totally sweet /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It sounds like a lot of money and parts to do it, but why not. There seem to be a lot of pessimistic (sp?) people repling to posts lately, but I agree, why not do something different /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Forced induction is awesome, no matter how it's supplied. But to get a sweet turbo setup you have to do your homework. If the turbo is too big it won't start making boost until the engine is way up in the RPM band. If it's too small, then you'll run out of boost before the engine runs out of RPM's. If you want to run mild boost (say 3-5 PSI) then a mostly stock engine will hold up OK. But to make sick power you need to run a low compression ratio and lots of boost. Now you're into some exotica (no, not erotica! Get your minds out of the gutter! We're talkin' about truck engines here! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) like o-ringed heads, forged pistons, forged crank, really strong rods, etc. Sick boost will break stock parts. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Also be sure that you look at the prices of premium fuel at the gas stations before you add any type of forced induction setup, because that's the only fuel you'll be buying once a turbo or supercharger have been bolted on. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Stock 454's are good candidates for mild boost applications. They came from the factory with abysmally low compression ratios around 8.3:1 or so. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But add 5 pounds of boost and they'll wake up quite nicely! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But keep in mind that there aren't any really cheap ways to add boost. By the time you get the turbo, wastegate, exhaust and oil plumbing into place you'll have spent quite a few bucks. Then getting it tuned so there's plenty of fuel available under boost will take some time. The very last thing you want with a boosted engine is for it to run lean under load. That will make combustion chamber temps go though the roof, detonation will set in and piston tops will start melting... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You don't just bolt on a homebrew turbo kit and drive away. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I designed a big block turbo motor the other day. need good cooling, aluminum heads, polished combustion chamber, low compression to really make her go.

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Turbo is great for a gas vehicle that runs high rpm but a supper charger is MUCH better for a truck. HP takes a back seat to Torque in a truck. Torque is what moves weight.
    A turbo will not take constant load load that a gas engine will put on it when trying to make torque. It works in a deisel but they run a turbo that is huge and they are not running high RPM on the engine. A gas motor truckking along a 3k is no big deal but 3k is near redline on a Diesel.

Problem #2 with turbo is lag. a whipple charger with a modest 4 psi will have almost zero lag.

Problem #3 is a gas engine that your talking about is running a 8.5:1 compression. You can only put about 4 psi to it and then your into some real issues with detonation, burning holes in pistons and valves etc. So now your talking about pulling the engine appart dumping the compression. This make the turbo lag worse if your not running sequential turbos, so four turbos on the engine not one per bank. Big horse turbo engines are around 7:1 compression. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If your going to force feed it, the supercharger at a moderate boost is the way to go. Cost less in the long run and better results for the application.

16. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i wanna put a turbo on it. a garret T88 like on the new superduties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then get the whole frickin' PowerStroke to go with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Make propane injection your bolt-on project /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, thank God you guys agree with me.

Turbos have no place on gasoline engines, ESPECIALLY in a truck.

I 2nd the supercharger idea, but if you're going to wheel that thing, honestly, forced induction is not the way to go. If you want more torque for wheeling, longer stroke engine is a better idea.

Keep in mind that while a naturally aspirated engine may only lose .5% or so of power per 10* of air temperature change, a forced induced engine will lose more like 2%. Also, keep in mind that detonation is FAR worse when it's hot outside.

18. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I say go for it! But talk to a reputable shop that deals with turbos to get the right set-up and tuning. I think with the right set-up and tuning you can get the lag way down...... There was just a write-up in a mag not too long ago about a twin turbo Escalade EXT built by Lingenfelters shop with 700+hp....

Also check with the tuner(or some like to call'em ricer) crowd and see how they are getting lag down and they can probably help ya find local shops that can help you with your set-up and tuning....

Single Turbos can sometimes yield more effiecent power but a twin turbo set-up would be easier to pipe. BUt harder to tune. Also I would probably also steering clear of the PSD intercooler and check out some Spearco or similar aftermarket coolers... Maybe even hit up Banks or ATS for one.

Supercharger would be a better choice for power from idle to top end, but you could get a turbo tuned to have minimal lag and great power. Just gotta get someone who knows what they're doing and have a good set-up...

As for compression, ya you want it low like in the 8's... Like Grimmy said higher CRs will get ya detonation and thats not good. And also you will want a different cam like someone else mentioned. Opening up the head will help the engine breath and also aid with Turbo flow.

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Turbo's are great on a gas engine that is designed for it. I know people that dyno 652 hp at the back wheels (700 at the crank) out of 3 liter engines and can tool down the hwy getting 23mpg.

The key word is DESIGNED for turbo. That means low compression matched to the amount of boost that the turbo will supply, Managment system that will not freak out when it has positive intake pressures.

Gas prices stay like they are I'm going to build another Turbo car. It will be a 89-92 Cressida with a 1jz 2.5 liter twin turbo that stock is rated 280hp. Some tweeking of the waste gates and it will be 340hp, Bigger fuel injectors and high volume pump, fuel managment system and I will be running near 400 at the back wheels. I won't even hove to take the valve covers off. As long as I can find a good Cressida with a bad engine I'll be able to have this for under $5k TOTAL driving down the road. 1Jz clip is $1800 plus tax, Car $1-2k. Apexi standalon feul managment system injectors, fuel pump, custom exhust work $1k.

To convert a V8 your looking at $1k for just the engine work. $1k for two turbos of a smaller size to limit lag so it's not a dog off the line. $1k for the exhaust manifolds and intake plumbing. $500 for rest of the exhuast sytem. Not sure what your going to have to do fuel managment but a educated guess is another $1k.
    Yep now you will have a 500-600 hp V8 that's worthless for towing.

$2500 you can buy a super charger kit and have it up and going in a weekend and have a tow monster with better low end tourque.

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep now you will have a 500-600 hp V8 that's worthless for towing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think it will be that worthless for towing. You have to get the egnine going to move the extra weight which means you have to get on the gas more and get the rpms up which will spool up the turbo. If he can get the system tuned right with minimal lag I think it would be a pretty cool set-up if done correctly and with minimal lag....

Not arguing, just my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif