Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

okay i need to know

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DUKE, May 31, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Ive never thought about it before and i do not know how the gearing in the axle works. I have the original axles so how do i know whats in them? what does that really mean? sorry im so clueless

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the gearing...is the gear ratio that runs in the axls in the differential..now befor i go farther..im 16 and im not an expert either just tellin what i know! lol..but the gearing you should be able to find out by looking in your glove box..right on the door..should say..mine are 3.73..that would work good for up to like 33" tires..the bigger the tires you have the lower the gears you want..(higher the number)..higher the gears..lower the number..get it? lol...

Bryan

3. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

There are a few ways to check the ratio you have. First is the sticker located somewhere in the truck, but these werent always put in on older cars. Second is to jack up the rear end, and spin one tire 1 time around, and count how many times the driveshaft spins, like if you spin the tire 1 revolution, and the driveshaft turns a little over 4 revolutions, you could say you had 4.10 gears, if you have a open differential you have to multiply the driveshaft's rotation by 2. But the best and only sure fire way to tell what gears you have is to pull the differential cover and count the number of ring gear teeth, and pinion teeth, then divide the ring gears by the pinions. Example 41 teeth on the ring, 10 on the pinion = 4.10 gears. A 4.10:1 ratio means that 4.10 turns of the driveshaft will rotate the axle/tire 1 revolution. Also, because of the speed reduction, a 4.10 ratio gear will create 4.10 times more torque multiplication at the wheel. Also if you had say 3.08's with a certain size of tire, going to 4.10 would improve acceleration, due to the extra torque multiplication, but would also raise the engine RPM's and reduce top speed. Going from 4.10 to 3.08's would reduce acceleration, but increase top speed from the reduced engine RPM's needed to get the tires to a certain speed. I hope this helps you out and doesn't confuse you more.

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Yeah we know that you are clueless, perfect tools and all and whining about anything and not having a built rig! I sorry I guess we all have to start some where in the food chain!LOL /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Well I give you credit at least you do ask legitimate questions. Keep the faith & your rig will grow .....someday!

5. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I may be cluless, but at least i try. One thing i do know is that the idea of me posting a question is to get answers not a jerk giving me sh!t. We do have to start some where, and i am proud that ive done it all my self as a full time self supported student. Also my rig is starting to get some where, i also do not own a dig camera to show off the new work youll have to deal with the old pics for a while. Besides not everyone can or wants to have a "built" rig. I was under the impression is a K5 owners site when i came here, i didnt know it was a K5 site for "built" K5 owners. the reasonI asked this question is that i am still trying to figure out if i can run 35" tires after i get the lift i resently aquired. I am sorry i wasnt born with the knowledge of truck like you were, I am sorry i wish i had tools i need, I am sorry i can not build a rig overnight.

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

thank you, i do understand now.

7. Tweetysuarus

Hey you dug your own hole flippin me crap about tools OK! as for Dig Cam I use disposable cams and scan the pics onto my PC. Maybe you should pic you battles more wisely before typing your way into another hole A-Hole! And I didn't build my rig over nite! It took me 2 years to get where it's at now from stock and as far as wishin I had tools I buy yard sale and sears! I only make a meager wage as a truck driver so quit your insane whining about not be rich! It really sounds like all you are is an instigater that can't back up what he says! But you know I appreciate the fact that there are other people out there that have to take their time to build their rigs as well All these ready bought crap proves nothing to me other than they have to much money! I feel for the little guys like me who struggle to buy their parts and build their rigs with the leftovers from last weeks dinner money!

8. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I know my battles bud, and i know the difference between making giving you crap and making fun of myself for having to deal. and to me a truck driver makes a damn good wage so dont give me that working man bleeding heart crap. As far as backing up what i say, i dunno what that come from. It is not like scaners are cheep either. I didnt say you built it over night, and what youve done in 2 years is sweet btw, but i am taking my time and trying to do this right. I am not getting into a pissing match about who is poorer doing more with less. I admit i dont know much about trucks or 4 wheeling, I dont try to pretend i know anything, that is why i appreciate the fact that there are people on this site who do know who have spent the time that can help a guy like me out. Now you went as far as to call me an a-hole i am pissed, this site is not about bickering, piss'n, and arrogance. you dont know me, you dont know my life, you dont know my truck. before you go assumeing, name calling and making judgments of my charactor i suggest backing off my nuts. i was obvously wrong thinking a joke about my situation wouldnt bother you, but it did im sorry there was no need to come and attack me on another post on another topic. if you want to continue this stupid chat email me or pm get this garbage off the forum.

9. Tweetysuarus

Well It sounds like I finally struc a cord and there is a real person after all not some Jack A**! The way I look at is don't flip [censored] and it won't splatter back in your face! I am all 4 helpin' out a fellow wheeler thats in need of info or anything else, if I KNOW what I am talkin about if not I try to research it. But that,s kool that you finally get it and I only average $35,000.00 a YR before Uncle Sam takes his 30%! So I r broke all the time! I'll get off your NUTS as you put it, just don't be sarcastic when I or other wheelers' are tryin to help out! And Scanners r cheap about $159.00 . I'm sorry if the shoe don't fit about Being an A**Hole, But quit acting and sounding like one. As far as your tlife, your truck,or you I don't need to know just react to how you act on the web, just like a CB if you wanna play in the urination station of channel 08 it's really great just don't get bit! Have a nice aday /forums/images/icons/wink.gif !

10. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

you know is some weird way i think you'd be a cool guy to know in person, personally i hate typing, friendship and conversation on line is allot like masterbation. I have allot of respect for truckers, my wifes step dad is one. I allso love your rig. I am sorry we had to get off on the wrong foot. I look forward to a more friendly and helpfull incounter next time.
    ps 160 is allot, ill stick to borrowing friends.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nice truck, just looked at your site. Checking the specs (and I'm not doing this to be a prick either) I see its a 3 speed....I didn't check to see what the SM465 2nd gear ratio is, but you don't REALLY have a 3 speed in there do you? I mean, you have a total of 4 forward gears right? (L, 1, 2, 3) Just curious!

BTW, see you are up in the area, theres a group of us that meet once a month up here, check out the Pacific Northwest Full Size Forum on this site, let us know if you'd like to join/meet up! I've got a relatively stock rig myself, still ha fun meeting the people and tagging along on runs when I can, whether I will actually tackle the trail or park. : )

12. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

thanks for the complement, allthough my truck is barely the same as those pictures. Ive painted it blue (no strip) and the top black. The interior has been repainted too along with new carpet in the front. Ive replaced starter and odds and ends like that. I ordered a rough country 4 inch lift and it will hopefully be here this friday so i can install it this weekend. Plus new tires once i know what i want/need. You are correct 4 forward gears, it took some getting use to. the 2nd gear is crazy. i also didnt think i was in that area, i was thinking that was washington oragon area. ill check it out.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry, didn't wait long enough to have the picture on your page load up, the one that prominently displays the plates being Colorado : ) I saw the "fortlewis" in your URL, as well as the barracks in the pictures, and just ASSuMEd you were up here. Obviously now that I think about it, there are no hills that large near any barracks at lewis. : )

14. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

haha yeah there are several fortlewis'