Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Okay... its started!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wally81k5, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, i just got all my chevy 350 parts into my garage, and am going to go one and build it. Any body have any tip or tricks? Or know of any good online resources?

Ryan

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Save yourself the hassle of finding bits and pieces and helpful tips on the internet. You need to go out and buy an engine rebuilding/building book. There are numerous kinds out there for the chevy 350. Probably more than any other engine. When looking for a good one, leaf through the book. The valve train, pistons, intake, carb, etc should all be covered in depth with pictures. Also included should be specifications and clearances of various parts. Step-by-step books would be the best for a newbie.
    That's my first suggestion - and a STRONG one at that.
    Secondly, don't rush. The last thing you want is to fire up your engine only to find you have to tear it back apart because you forgot something/?.
    Finally, have fun. I hope that someday soon I'll be able to go through the engine building process. I'd love to say that I built the engine in my truck from ground-up. (That may be a little while though /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif)

3. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

When you start, take your time!!!!! Do not rush anything. Get your work area as clean as you can get it, and by all means do not skimp $$$$$ on important stuff (i.e. used oil pumps, timing chains etc) these things are relatively cheap, but would be major hassle if they went Kablooey. And get some sort of book/books. Just my .02

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

My advice... give me a call when you are ready to setup the valves. I will slide by and give ya a hand. This should avoid the same headache as lots of people have had by following the book and it wont start. Oh ya... and have fun... although I guarantee ya it will be way more fun after its running in the K5!

Ummm does this mean we can move the K5 out of my backyard soon?? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Laters
    Mike
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif