Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Okay, legal question for you CA types... tow dolly

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Feb 25, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Looking to buy one, the guy swears up and down that they don't have to be registered as a trailer.

I'm used to the permanent trailer registration thing; what IS he on about? Lady at the DMV says it has to be reg'd, but I suspect if I call back I'll get a different answer from a different person.

Any clues? Links to the CVC online or something to be certain?

-- A

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

i rented a towable cherry picker without a the permit.... i doubt they would be rentin em out if they had to have the permit. How big is the dolly?

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yes it has to be registered. Just go to any U-haul store and You will see that all of theirs have plates.

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

keep in mind uhauls often travel out of cali.

5. dremu

Umm ... how big in terms of width, or weight, or ... ? Pic attached, anyway.

I'll swing by the local U-Haul in the morning, see what they have.

Thanks!

-- A

DSC01446.JPG

6. dremu

Well, and the Q is ... do they have CA plates. Apparently some states require them, others don't ... aargh.

-- A

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I can't see the pic cause im not a member but I would say it would have to do with the dimensions. the cherry picker was pretty small in terms of trailers... it wasn't registered and didn't have a plate because it was a local store that didn't have other stores out of cali. Although it might have had one and i missed it because i wasn't really lookin..... I don't know

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah and they have them to travel in the state as well. It's pretty much the law in every state.

9. dremu

To answer my own question ... dollies do not HAVE to be registered, but they CAN be. Freakin' CA :screwy:

The Commercial Vehicle Registration Act of 2001 says

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/commercial/cvra.htm

Tow dollies or auxiliary dollies are not required to be registered in California (Vehicle Code §5014.1), but you may opt to convert to PTI. If you convert to PTI, you need to display a PTI plate or a regular plate with a PTI sticker. If the you do not convert to PTI, remove the existing plate. While registration under the PTI program is optional for tow dollies, you may want to register your tow dolly under PTI if you will be towing it out of state because other states' registration requirements for trailers vary.

There are some other things. ..

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/plates/decalsplacards.htm

A tow dolly is a vehicle towed by a motor vehicle and designed and used exclusively to transport another vehicle and upon which the front or rear wheels of the towed vehicle are mounted. The other wheels remain in contact with the ground. Tow dollies or auxiliary dollies are not required to be registered. They may opt to convert to permanent trailer identification (PTI) or obtain an SE decal. If the owner converts to PTI, they should display a PTI plate or a regular plate with a PTI sticker. If the owner does not convert to PTI, the existing plate should be removed.

Etc etc. But hey, the entire CVC is there to be searched!

Bloody crazy, this place.

-- A

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

ahhh cali.... its a love hate relationship.

Love the lakes, beaches, bikinis, trails and sun, hate the emissions, laws, cops, and crazy weather.

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Just as an aside, I've had to tow several rigs over the past couple of years. Every time I looked into a tow dolly, I found that the width of the dolly wouldn't tow any Blazer with tires too much bigger than stock. I wanted to tow my 76 recently down to the transmission shop and with 315/75r16's on it, it wouldn't fit in between the fenders of the dolly. If you don't mind swapping in stock tires and rims whenever you tow, then no problem. Also, rather than using the DMV website to find Ca. codes, try this one: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html It is much easier to use their search function.

12. dremu

:doah: Knew I should PM'd ya.

This one is really wide, though ... not quite enough to fit the 315's onto the ramps, but they should just fit between the fenders. Or I may stick with the pizza cutters I have as rollers right now -- and switch rims & tires when I tow.

Speaking of which, you got new tires for the '76 yet? :D I'm nearly ready for your 315's! :woot:

-- A