Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Okay, now what???

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Capman2k, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Alright I'm still having a prob. getting some bass... I went out and got a Boss Rev 705 (350W 2ch 2ohm) at a pawn shop to replace my shot one... Hooked everything up, and nothing... The sub is moving and makes a little bit of noise, but after a few seconds the amp goes into protection mode for a few seconds then it goes back to power... I've connected and reconnected the wires, played with the little dials in there, turned the volume and bass up and down a bunch on the radio... and it does the same stuff...

This amp at least tries to work, but I don't think the noise coming from the sub is worthy of the name "bass" /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?? I have a good ground now too btw thanks to the radio shop /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif but I don't want to pay em $90 plus $45 an hour to put the amp in for me..

See my last post for specs on my system, I'm too lazy and have to get to work /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try it the cheap way, take your subs into a pawn shop to see what they'll offer. They will hook them up to to see if they work. Sounds to me like you might have fried your voice coils. The pawn shop is one way, you could also try hooking them up to a friends amp to see if they work. Another possibilty could be your preamp outs. You might not be getting a signal to the amp. Use a volt meter on the rca cables to see if your getting any voltage. I'd bet on the voice coils becouse it's going into protection. it's grounding it self out.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Z3PR might be onto something......

A "bad ground" won't damage an amp, contrary to what your stereo "experts" say.....the worst that will happen is the amp won't power up.

There is a good chance that the first amp was fine, and the new amp is good too.....it's just that the new amp has a more "graceful" way of dealing with the fact that your subwoofer is blown.....it tries to play briefly (through a short-circuited voicecoil....basically a ZERO ohm load) and then shuts down to protect the amp.

The easiest way to confirm this is to put an ohm meter on across the terminals of the sub....look for a reading that is close to ZERO.... my guess is that the dirty power from your last amp blew the speaker, and now NO amp in the world can make that speaker work correctly.

I hate to say it, but this is part of the crap you have to deal with when installing "offbrand" equipment. It is cheap.....but there are a lot of headaches associated with it's poor quality.