Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Okay simple question on flushing radiator?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OL14BLAZ, Feb 28, 2003.

1. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Which way do you guys flush your coolant system? Do you use the prestone coolant flush in the bottle? Do you take the bottom radiator hose loose and flush with the garden hose or what?

Needing to do mine, checked it the other day and it was brown water after I filled it with water and let the engine warmup. It was low when I first checked it and it was the normal green color when I first topped it off with water until it heated up.

Which way or another way would be the best way too completely flush the radiator and engine without having too take the radiator out and have it cleaned by a radiator shop?

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i usually open the petcock (SP?) all the way and put the hose in the top going just a little faster than it s draining at the bottom. a lot of nasty sludge comes out the bottom and when it looks pretty clean i stop, drain everything out, and fill her up with 50/50 anti freeze/ h2o.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I use the Prestone flush, but I also have the $5 Prestone Flush Kit that hooks your hose up to your heater hose. That works the best out of anything I've used. You open the petcock and put this neck into the radiator. You hook up the water hose to the T fitting in your heater hose that's provided and turn on the water. Then start your engine, and let it go till the water runs clear. Nothing's had my radiator cleaner. My water was brown, I used this thing, after about 15 minutes, it was completely clear. Give it a shot...

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I use the Prestone flush, but I also have the $5 Prestone Flush Kit that hooks your hose up to your heater hose. That works the best out of anything I've used. You open the petcock and put this neck into the radiator. You hook up the water hose to the T fitting in your heater hose that's provided and turn on the water. Then start your engine, and let it go till the water runs clear. Nothing's had my radiator cleaner. My water was brown, I used this thing, after about 15 minutes, it was completely clear. Give it a shot...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used the Prestone flush before but never with the hose kit. I will give it a try /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks for both suggestions guys, I'm going too flush it tomorrow sometime. Sense it looks like it is going too be a real nice weekend.

5. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I blew a heater core using the "flush kit" but it did get it clean.

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the key is to not turn the water hose on all the way...use it in moderation, you want a nice, slow pour out of the filler neck. Just watch it as all the gunk comes out, it's interesting to see what's in there...

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To tell you the truth, haven't been impressed with coolant flushes so far.

Tried it a few times, it did pull some stuff out, but the one radiator that was bad, didn't get any better. Corrosion seems to be worse at the bottom, so just because you can't see it, or some corrosion comes out, doesn't mean it's better.

With brown coolant, you may have some good corrosion going down low, just keep that in mind.

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking the same thing on the corrison being bad. It looked fine until I let it warm up and then revved the rpm's up, then the brown water showed up top. So I will flush it out best I can and then wait a few weeks and check it again. If the brown water comes back again, I'll pull the radiator out and have it checked out by a local radiator shop. I will see what happens /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif