Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OLD 14blt question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Mar 23, 2007.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

I bought a 14blt ff with 4.56 gears and a detroit locker about 2 months ago from a local military truck yard. It was obviously not used and in its original crate. The only dating I could find was on what used to be paper in the crate and I could make out a typed line ending in 198?. So my question is if this axle hasn't been used and has just been sitting in a crate for the last 20 to 25 years (assuming nothing crazy like at one time it was submerged in water or something) do I need to do anything to the internals (other than add gear oil)? I mean the bearings and everything, should I need to put new greese in them and if so is there a way to do it with out takeing everything apart? And I am sure this has been talked about before but what is a good oil for the diff? I have some Lucas gear lube left from something else I was working on would that be okay? Any help would be great. THANKS

2. Roostertail

Roostertail Registered Member

The bearings are prolly covered in cosmoline. Do a visual check for rust and fill it and weld some new perches on and run it!

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Pull the cover and make sure the bearings aren't rusted. If the bearings aren't rusted then just add some oil. I would install the rearend and then fill it with gear oil. Then I would rotate the diff by hand for a little while to get the oil coating on the gears, bearings, and down to the wheel bearings.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to put a little grease or gear oil in the wheel bearings.

Harley