Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

old 16 splin dana 60??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tacomuncher, Jan 4, 2006.

1. tacomuncher

tacomuncher 1/2 ton status

i have got a dana 60 with 16 splin shafts that i plan to run in my 84 blazer i heard that it is hard to find parts for them but if anyone out their could help i plan to put a detroit and some 35 splins in it. a shop said that i would be looking at custom axels for it.

dana 60.jpg

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

That a CUCV, by chance?

I thought rear D60's were lower spline count than the fronts, so that may be normal. I can't see spending $$ on new shafts for it, since (1) they should be pretty stout and (2) you can buy a 14 bolt for less than shafts will cost.

I've no idea about spring perches, but I doubt they'll match ... and your axle seems not to have shock mounts, so at the very least you have some welding ahead of you. The plus side is you can then tweak your pinion angle :D

14 bolts are so cheap and easy to come by I donno that you'll find many people doing rear D60's. (Yes, you'll get better ground clearance with the Dana... but the cost thing...)

-- A

3. tacomuncher

i looked into a 14 but it would be another 300$ + wheels and new tires as it stands i can get any with running some after market rockcrawler wheels and keep my new mtrs on a 15 inch rim.

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

welcome to ck5. can u not find a detroit for the spline count you got now? if can, i see no reason to upgrade til you break something

you can run 15's with a 14b...im doing it 3" bs on a 14b with disc conversion

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

What size tire are you going to run? 16 spline 60's are nowhere near the strength of a FF 14 bolt. If you get the spindles bored out to accept 35 spline shafts (this needs to be done, rear dana 60 spindles are too small) and buy custom shafts from someone (cost about $400) you will have an axle that is almost as strong as a FF 14 bolt. Then you will have to drop $500 for a detroit. Then you will wish you had bought a FF 14 bolt for $50 and paid $325 for a detroit and been done. Or you could just run the 16 spline axles, drop $500 for a detroit, and maybe sell it in 3 months because you've already broken it twice. But again, that kinda comes down to use. Believe it or not there is a reason that almost everyone who swaps in a 1 ton rear axle uses the 14 bolt (including F*rd, J**p, etc.).

6. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

My trail rigs D60 was originaly a 16 spline. I swapped in 30 spline stuff. Everything fits fine with 30 spline shafts and carriers. If you want to go to 35 spline you can fit a 35 spline carrier/locker in the diff but the shafts will not fit through the spindles. The 1.5" 35 spline shafts require you to bore out the spindles to atleast 1.6". This is very hard to do with the axle complete. I have done a few for friends but they were removed from the diff housing for shortening so they fit in the lathe. If you are really borred you could hone them out but it would take a week or so :haha:

7. tacomuncher

yes it is a cucv 6.2

how much did the 30 splin upgrade cost and with what locker. are u happy with no problems i hear that the dana 60 is about 150 to 200 pounds lighter then the 14 bolt so power to weight is something to think about. i have alread dumped 200 bucks on this axel so im not to stoked on a 14 bolt. the tires are 35inch mtrs with a lot of meat on them.

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

ouch did you pay 200 bones for it?

I really wouldn't bother swapping out your carrier and axles for 30 spline stuff unless it is free. The shafts are the same size, and although everyone says that D60 rears suck, it won't make a noticeable difference in strength. In theoretical internet e-penis length debates, yes, but in the real world no.

I hate to say this again, but get rid of it and get something bigger. 14 bolt or a D70 with a 2 pc carrier. Disc swap will help you trim off a few pounds too.

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

d60 is fine for 35's....he doesnt need anything biggeri wouldnt upgrade to 30spl until you break ur 16spl. also you can get disc conversion for the 60 as well.

a buddy has a grand cherokee with full width d44/d60. hes got 16spline full detroit, disc's and 36 TSL's and hasnt had any problems with the 60, only broken a shaft or to in the d44 (its got a detroit also) and he wheels hard.

10. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

AFAIK that would just be the cost of a 30 spline detroit and find some 30 spline shafts from another 60 (do some research on which rear end to find them from though, you want them to be the right length). I don't know how worthwhile this is though, the 16 and 30 spline shafts are the same size (1.20-1.31"). I kinda doubt the axle will strip out the splines before it breaks a shaft. If it were me, I would see if aussie locker makes a locker for a 16 spline 60. If you stay at 35's you will probably be fine with this setup.

11. tacomuncher

where should i look for the 14 bolt rear break kits. i think that im going to run this till i dies and if and when it dose ill up gread to 14 bolt and do it that way.

p.s. matt ur gay

12. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I used shafts from a 30 spline D60 from the junkyard. Cost about 20$ and I bought a second set as spares. I run a full spool wich can be had for under 200$ easily. I am very happy.
    I don't know about that weight difference. I have both 14bolts and D60s on varius rigs here and they don't feel very different when putting them in. I would say 150 is way off. Probably within 50# if both have discs or both have drums.
    With 35s the 14bolt would be kinda low. The D60 with a small shave job is not much lower than a 12bolt.

13. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Having twisted the splines on a 16 spline open diff I would disagree. Why pay for a locker in 16 spline when they cost the same as a 30 spline locker and 30 spline shafts are dirt cheap. If you find that you do twist the splines off the 16 spline shafts then what, your out 300$ for a locker that probably got damaged when the splines spun.
    Look at the pitch of the splines on a 16 spline vs 30 spline shaft. Their is not just twice as many splines but each spline has 1.5 times the contact area.

14. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

you can find brakets for both the 60 and 14bolt easily on the web or even ebay. Check out www.DIY4x4.com for cheap brakets that are good quality and a vendor from this board or www.offroaddesign.com for kits.

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't mess with buying a 16 spline anything. Move up to at least some 30 spline parts when you go to a Detroit/spool/etc.

30 spline axles shouldn't be too hard to find in the right length. If they are, give someone like Moser or Dutchman a call. I think you'll be surprised at how reasonable a set of NEW axle shafts can be.

Some (all?) of those early coarse spline axles use cone washers at the wheel hub.

Dump the drum brakes.