Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old Burb info needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by POWERMAD, Oct 18, 2002.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Where is a good source for 50-60's Burbs.
    I found what looks to a 55 or 56 4x4 Burb. $400
    It has a D44 open knucle and a 12 bolt in the rear.
    The front axle spring hangers look stock as they are riveted in.
    2 doors with no side glass, smooth sided like a van, barn doors in the back.
    No engine or tranny but it has a 205 in it and pedals for a manual tranny.
    The fender emblems say Apache / 38, with Chevrolet under that.
    Can't get ahold of the owner yet, but it looks to be a cool find. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Anyone know anything about these rigs?
    It looks to have a 4" lift and has a killer winch bumper.
    It looks like you could roll 35 - 36" tires under it with no problems.

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my friend had a 72 that was pretty nice.it could go through some snow.i dont think he ever took it through mud.i like the older subs much better than the new.i think without windows it was called a panel van but maybe that was the one on the car frame.i think they looked verey similar.i was actually going to buy one for my first car but it sold 4 days before i came up with the money.buy it and get us some pics.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

That's a panel truck, not a Suburban. If it really is a '55 or '56, it would have had to have been a Napco conversion, and it would originally have had a Napco front axle. It could have been converted from a Napco using newer drive train components. The open knuckle 44, 12 bolt and 205 all did not exist in the 50s, so those are definitely swapped. Could also be a newer frame with the old body on it.

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Or someone swapped the body onto a 4WD frame. I had a '66 Sub for a while, and it had the same WB as my '66 Short box. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

yea u got a panel wagon. those r hard to find. ive only seen like 4 in my lifetime.

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

It looks like it is a 58 panel wagon.
    I am going back and check some things out, I could swear that it looked to have a longer wheel base than the K5.
    I doubt that it is a Napco converted rig, but it still has a 4x4 frame on it and with a little bit of work it could be a realy cool rig.

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I don't have a Suburban or panel, but I do have a '55 Napco 4x4 in rough, but original shape. You can definitely tell it has the original frame, since there are hardly any bends in it like the newer frames.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Since the 12 bolt didnt come out until 1962 or 63 I would say the axles have definitly been swapped in or body was swapped onto a newer frame.

In the future I will be able to tell you to click on my website link in my sig for more info on 60-66 Suburbans but right now I am just starting to rebuild it. I have a lot of info I have yet to post...