Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old Chinamans early report! Carnage next to........

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by fred2mihi, Apr 9, 2006.

1. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Carnage, oh what a smash em up day we had! MR 3 ON THE TREE showed us the capabilities of a 6 bangin' stock 1st gen k5. He went where no man should go and never on the end of a tow strap! OrangeCrushK10 punished his pickup to near death. He finished in front wheel drive. And then, and then along comes 70jimmy the show truck isn't as showy as it was. Let's just say OCG wasn't very kind to him! Oh my goodness I nearly forgot b_to_c, he is still setting in my driveway with a couple of things he is going to have to fix before he can go home.

I'll let everyone else elaborate!! After 12 hours I was wore out ofcourse "cricket" and I ran OCG twice since we were elected to go for parts and tools. The "blue thing" is definately a daylight truck! We came out in the DARK! My lights are horrible!

Carry on all of you fine Gentlemen and Ladies! I could write a book about this fine GROUP OF GUYS AND GALS but won't!

Thanks everyone!!!!!!

fredmihi

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

It was nice to meet some new face to go with there names. And meet up with some people that I have wheel with before and to meet there wifes I wish Deana was not 7 months pregnet she would have had a good time.

It was a fun day but long day. Special thanks to Harley and his backwoods welding you saved the day. As for my rig I had no damage:laugh: I wish I could have said the same for the others. As for 3 ON THE TREE and OrangeCrushK10 you two have a big set of Ball's doing that trail in damm
    near stock rigs you two did one hell of a job:saweet: Looking forward to the next run with you all.

Thanks agine Scott for the decals you rock:woot: And agine happy birthday

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

4. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

So says YOU! They seemed to be working damned well in my rearview mirror! :D

So, I just got hom. Ended up driving "Squeeler" back all the way to CO Springs. Stopped at CityMarket in BV early in the morning, bought some heavy duty duct tape and a 1-ltr Dr. Pepper. Cut the top off of the soda bottle and taped it onto the T-case slip yoke part to keep it from leaking. Filled it ack up with oil and we made it back without a problem.

I'll take some pics of my rear driveshaft later. Boy did I do a good job on it. It was probably caused by me running slightly smaller tires on the rear. Front and rear axles were spinning at different speeds. Guess the driveshaft was the piece that finally failed.

Really I should've known better, but I was just excited to get on the trail. :doah:

Well, nothing like a tough trail run to show you what you need to upgrade, right?

It was great meeting you all and I lookforward to the next run. It may be a little while, though. I need to go do some repairs. :rolleyes:

I'll have to tally up the damage and post some pics.

Oh-yeah. And "Lockers ae for Pussies!" :haha::haha::D

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

OCG Thoughts

That trail is just too much for my poor little truck!!!! Now I have to decide whether to go big or stay home. Just to set the record straight, I gave up bout 1/2 way. I was just too tired, and figured that any further I would probably brreak something expensive. I will admit that the "burro" made it ALOT further than I thought it would. Most of the time I was cringing, just waiting for a loud noise. By the time I got outta there, the only plastic left on my steering wheel was the 2 spokes. The rim was down to metal, from squeeezing and yanking. Nick B., you are my hero!!!!

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yesterday was a good day. It turned into a loooong day but I had a good time and my GF did also. I didn't get home till 1am. Yesterdays trail was a good time. It was a little longer then I am used to but it was a damn good time. It had a few pretty challenging obsticles that I had a good time with.

The trail carnage was pretty interesting too. I was able to apply a good piece of knowledge I learned from the AZ boys with some good DC current, jumper cables, and some welding rod. I had seen it done but never done it myself. Now I can add another notch to my booty fab belt for offroad fixes. :D In true Amigo fashion (and now Colorado Crew) "we drive to remote and scenic places to work on our junk."

It was good to finally get out and meet some of the Colorado wheelers and finally get my arse back in the seat were it belongs. Its always good to meet new people especially when they are as nice and as cool as this new group of wheelers in Colorado. Thanks to everyone for a good time yesterday. I will wheel with you all again in the future I am sure. Next time though I am making a 2 day trip out of it or we need to wheel closer to Fort Collins. :laugh:

Harley

P.S. I will get the pics of mine developed ASAP and get them posted.

7. OrangeCrushK10

8. fred2mihi

They left here around 4:30 after Nick R. put in his new starter, tranny and transfer case mounts. Other than for my shattered rear window I survived in pretty good shape! Thanks to the man above!!!

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Figured I better chime in. Made it home safe and sound about 3 this afternoon.

Hossbaby: You Rock! He welded my completely disconnected steering arm using 3 batteries, some welding rod, and AZ knowhow. Lets not forget about the locking hub donated, the replacement brake line, tools and putting my rig back together. (he probably got frustrated watching me do it.)

Thanks to everybody and sorry I extended the day so much. :mad:

For those that don't know after I did some custom bodywork on the driver's side rear quarter, I noticed that steering seemed to be reacting slower and slower and then the jimmy wouldn't go where I pointed it which is when all forward progress stopped, (plus there was a tree coming at me). So in a beautiful spot however on an incline the jimmy was jacked up hooked up to a winch rocks stacked behind tires and the right front was torn down. Fred2mihi and Jiminy cricket jumped in fred's rig and went down the mountain and retrieved tools and badly needed welding rod. So they ran the trail more than anybody else. They brought back the stuff and then the tool borrowing began. Enter Hossbaby's welding lessons. 3 batteries, some welding rod, sparks and voila' back on the road (trail). Then after a few more obstacles the jimmy was placed in the penalty box until later. We didn't figure it would be a good idea to put the steering thru any more than we absolutely had to. I am sure it had nothing to do with my driving!!:doah:

So I jumped in with Fred and enjoyed some passenger time.

Mr. k5 has all my pics loaded so I am sure he will post them up with his later.

Hossbaby also showed us later what I will call the Arizona pivot when he put the slider on a rock and made his rig pivot on the slider and made a tough line look easy.

Just wanna say thanks again to everybody for the fun hospitality and know how. Man with how hard Orange crush and 3 on the tree romped on the stock stuff look out when they get behind the wheel of something that is built.

All in all I had a great time, took a little longer than I figured and definately a little tougher and narrower than I pictured :rolleyes: . But still fun. The jimmy still looks pretty and its time for some more upgrades.:D

CK5 is definately a family and even though I cost the entire group several hours I never heard one complaint and never even caught a nasty look from anybody. All I got was how can I help and what do you need and how are we gonna get it.

Thanks for treating the rookie like one of the team.:bow:

10. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

New starter: $60
    New Tranny Mount: $25
    Push Button Starter Switch: $5

Wheeling with the Colorado Crew: PRICELESS :D

That was a great time everyone. I too have to give a nod to Mike and the other Nick, you guys rocked the stock trucks like I have never seen before. And a thanks to Greybeard AKA Fred for letting me crash at his place and fix my junk the next morning in his driveway :thumb:

-I JUST got home :eek1:

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

No problem at all. Glad I could help out and that you got home safe and the truck is in one piece. I never mind helping anyone out on there rig as long as they are willing to do the work necessary to fix there junk and have at least tried to prepare for the trail with tools, supplies, etc. You definitly were up to the task of doing most of the work and were hands on so I am totally happy to help. That is what wheeling is all about. Getting in with a good group of guys and having a great time. I have been in your boat before and my buddies in AZ did everything possible to get my broke truck off the trail. It happens to everybody who wheels.

Harley

12. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Fred! What did you do to my door??? What happened to the pretty black paint on my homebrew booty-fab sliders??? Shattered back window? I get the feeling you are abusing the blueberry....it was such a pretty trailer queen when you got it too.

Glad you all had fun and everyone made it home safe. Can't wait to go out with you all!!!

Rich

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

14. fred2mihi

What do you mean my door, my sliders, remember I paid you for the pleasure of putting that dent in there and if you would have fixed that rear window crank I wouldn't have shattered it! So there!:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: Yes sireee Bob, we had a smash'em up day, to bad, so sad for you.:( :( Fix up burblovers rust bucket and join us next time. Scott and I are talking about going to the Great Sand Dunes at Alamosa in June. We would camp on Saturday night at the Dunes and then run the Dunes and over Medano Pass. We are hoping this could be a camp and crawl Colorado Crew trip. It is rated as a moderate trail but I have heard that it can be hairy going over Medano nicknamed "Mad Dog Pass" by some locals I was talking to. I'm sure Scott will post more information later!

15. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Hey I think somebody is pulling my leg????? I buffed on those dents for hours with my harbor freight buffer and walmart car wax and they aren't popping out at all!!!:whistle: :dunno:

I still don't get how they are supposed to turn back to the original color either. :thinking: Maybe its cause I didn't put the buffer in reverse to take the wax off. :confused:

Anyway I had a blast, learned a lot :rolleyes: , As for the jimmy, We can rebuild it. Bigger faster stronger and it will work for us, we will send it on dangerous missions. Da na na na na na na. OOOHhhhhh the 6 million dollar rig!!!!!!:haha:

16. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Keep trying to buff them dents out please............................. I will give you this you took it alot better than I would have. I about cryed when you put the first dent in that quarter panel. You are the man:eek1:

17. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Yep, I was waiting to see who Duane would kill first. :haha: He was a little too quiet. I had to keep watching him out of the corner of my eye.

As far as the dent goes try the Turtle Wax, the damage will disappear if you rub it in your eye Duane. :D

By the way, Mike is already talking about a 460 and a C6. He is now officially sick. :haha:

18. OrangeCrushK10

No Kidding. That was possibly one of themost beautiful trucks I've ever seen and *crunch* - Big freakin' dent in it. I felt horrible and I didn't even do anything!

Echo idn't understand why we were all super-bummed about it. :doah:

:haha::haha::haha: Sweet! I'd love to see the burrow on steroids!

Personally I think I'm gonna tear out that transfer case and rebuild it. Lord only knows how much dirt got into it. Also do a SYE, I have the parts.

Then I think a lift and a new drive shaft. Shackle flip rear and 52's up front. Maybe 63's in the rear too, but I'm not sure.

14-bolt welded rear is in order and convert the D44 to 8-lug and do crossover to it.

Finally some better tires and relocate the gas tank.

Hmmm.... I've got a pretty long list there... Better get started soon, huh? :p: :D

Can't wait to go with you guys again! May be a little while, though.

19. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I went from El Spotto Grande to El Spotto Crappe in about three seconds. I never felt that bad on a trail run before.:doah:

As far as the rest of the run went, I had a GREAT time running with all you guys. The camraderie and brotherhodd was awesome. It was fun whelling, and it was even fun working together to get all the carnage fixed. This Harley guy... Arizona can't have him back. We will chain him and his Blazer to Bo's front porch. He is THE MAN.

When are we going again?

20. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, when is the next trip?:D

Z