Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old Cub Cadet Lawnmowers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tiger9297, Sep 27, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I've got two old Cub Cadet Lawnmowers. These things are awesome. So much better than the new stamped out Home Depot/Lowes types that only last a few years and then are scrap metal. Anyway, they both run but I would like to restore both of them to "like new" condition. When I try to search for parts all I get are sites for the new Cub Cadets. Anyone know of a site that specializes in parts for the older tractors, or just any site where I can order parts?

2. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I am also looking for parts. I found a Noma FlyMo in the old barn the other day, its still in real good shape, but the motor doesnt wanna start. I want to see how well it works (im sure there is a reason they stopped this design)

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I'm sure the main reason why they don't make "real" tractors like these is cost. It's much easier to take a piece of thin sheet metal and stamp it out, run some belts and pulleys, and move it down the assembly line. The old tractors have a real cast iron drivetrain with a real transmission and it's built to last. I had an old John Deere 140 lawnmower w/ a 48" deck, hydraulic lift, and even had hydraulic outlets on the front. You just don't see that kind of mower these days. If you did it would cost 10K.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

several sites...

A search on "google" under "Antique Lawn Tractors" and "Antique Gas Engines" will reveal some sites dealing with old gas engines and tractors...some have a free classified ads section that always have a lot of stuff for sale listed..

I wished I had the room to keep more of the older "good" tractors I ended up with in the past..had several older John Deere,Gravely,Simplicity,Jacobson,Roper/Sears "Suburban" tractors,and a few IHC Cub Cadets...they were "Indestructo" compared to the crap they call a "lawn tractor" nowadays..I had to sell off most of my collection..

I know of a guy who has a "Pennsylvania" tractor I would love to own--a 10hp Tecumseh cast iron engine,real hydraulic pump and motor drive,and a factory 52 plymouth car rear axle,narrowed,with a huge chain and sprocket/hyro motor drive--it will tow a full size car with locked wheels and flat tires on asphalt! :eek1: even its mower deck is hydro driven!..

A few other good brands are "Power King" or "Economy" tractors,and "Panzer",they had a car type tranny,usually a Borg-Warner..and an auto style rear diff with "Bull Gears" inside the rear wheel hubs..they are actually strong enough to use a bucket loader on them..many of the ones made in the 40's and 50's were very heavy and rugged--they didn't spare the cast iron in those days.. :crazy:

5. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

tough tractor got the mowing deck in the garage hard to get parts for tho

6. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

I have a '70 or '71 Cub 106, I can't remember right now, that my father in law dredged up that is in awesome shape that I am mowing with now. Its not as nice as yours hans. Sweet little rig there. :bow:

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That thing is awesome. Won't find anything at Lowes to compare with that. One of the ones I have is 12hp w/ a 42" deck and the other is a 16hp hydrostat w/ a 48" deck. I want to get mine looking as good as yours. Where did you get your parts/decals to restore it?

8. hans999999

its my dads...all original :D

9. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

WOW! :eek1: Can we say babied all its life?

10. hans999999

nope mowed some lawns, pushed and pulled some junk, snow dougnuts and drifting last winter heh. just stays in the garage.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Looks like the ones I had!..( NICE Cub BTW!)..

That one is very similar to the 2 that I had!..they were 12hp Kohler engines with a drivshaft and auto type clutch..only problem I ever had with both were the blade drive clutches--similar to an A/C clutch on a chevy A/C pump--electrically energized--they would slip and burn up after a year or two..probably because they didn't get enough amps to keep them locked solidly togeher..one had bad spiders in the rear end when I got it--..(freebie :D --found it in our landfill's metal pile one saturday afternoon!).

I found a parts tractor at a yard sale on day,hiding in some weeds behind the guys shed--I bought it for 50 bucks--had it running in 30 minites after I got it home!..very rusted and not pretty,so I eventually cannibalized it to keep the other one going that was much nicer shape..

The older Cubs like theese are bringing some good coin still at collectors shows and small engine swap meets--1000 bucks for one with some original attachments in decent original shape isn't out of the question!.. :crazy: