Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

old D60 question, axle guru challenge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76K5, Sep 18, 2003.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

whats up everybody,

I just got my membership and I'm lovin it. Here is the question. I have an old as dirt ffD60 with 16 spline shafts that I run in the rear of my rig. I recently bent the spindle(damnit!), my buddy has a Dana 61 laying around, can I swap the brake drums, spindles to my Dana 60, my drums are pretty funked up. I hope someone has the answer. Thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

99% sure that D61s won't take a carrier from a D60, the D61s were introduced in order to have an axle similar in strength to a D60, but with lower gears. The way the carrier is set up was changed just a little in order to accomidate the numerically lower gears. I think there might be a way to do it using the stock D61 carrier and your gears with a shim.

Anyways, that's not what you asked... The brake parts may swap on, it's hard to say because the brands may be different, you didn't say what they were. Spindles won't swap over because I beleive that they are integral to the houseing. You'd have to cut the bent one off and weld on a new one. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yep, that housing is one piece. Find a 14boltFF. Its is stronger and cheap, much cheaper than trying your chance with that D61 because parts aren't available for them. They are different in a lot of ways and 4 wheeler mag. said to stay away from a D61 in their axle review a few months ago.