Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

old differential Eaton?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skelly1, Dec 15, 2002.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I have a 1972 K20 pickup and it has one of those round like a Ford 9" rear differentials in the rear. Has anybody used one of these in their K5 Blazer?

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

A guy ran one two years ago in Fourwheeler's TTC in his 3 Door Burb. Even though that the spline count is low, I've read that those axles are bulletproof. If you want to do a coil-over look for a trailering special that has control arms and coil springs on it. It might be hard though to find somesort of locker for it.

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

That was Brian Waddel, a local here.
    And that rig is bad as$.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

of you are talking about coil rear suspension thne well thats standard equipment on all trucks before 73, leaf spring rear suspension was optional and RPO G70, the eaton removeable carrier axles were last in 72, 10 bolt cover, perfectly round salad bowl shapped diff cover and round tubes up to 11,000lb H110 version

5. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

It's got the leaf spring version. It has a real nice posi in it too. My wife bought the truck around 1992 and it had a fresh rear end and posi rebuild. Nice truck. I've seen that rear end around and I was just wondering if it would work for my Blazer if I came across one. Also, since I have the old 3/4 ton Chevy and the newer blazer, I could always use the 3/4 ton running gear on the Blazer and swap some 1 ton running gear onto the 3/4 ton. One thing I will say about the 67-72 era is the fender wells are much better suited for the big tires. It has only about a 2-3" lift and it has 35" mud terrains. It used to have 36" super swampers. I'd rather 4by the Blazer any day though.

6. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

This is an old post on this, but I have a lead on one of these old diff's with the trailing arms and the coils. What is it worth? Would it be worth putting in a K5? Worthless?

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if it is in really good shape and no leaks and no wheel bearing or gear problems yet and not any material specs in the diff at all then i dont see why not, and as long as its ratio you can use/want

just be careful with it/take very good care of it, keep an eye out for leaks or ANY unual noise other than normal locker unit noise.

personally a 14 bolt FF would be better choice in that first of all parts are available and for them unlike for the old H052 and H072's

good luck

8. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I'll pass on it. It would be good for that era truck, or a spare pumpkin. Easy to upgrade a C10 to a C20 in the 67-72 years I guess.