Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

old engine new parts???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by suburban n progress, Oct 17, 2005.

1. suburban n progress

suburban n progress Registered Member

Okay well im still kinda new to this site but have some questions.. I have me an 86 suburban with 10b/14bff 12'' of lift way over clearing 42's 4.10s front and rear open axles.. oh yeah i have a sm465 and motor is bone stock still has its smog pump..Truck was bone stock when i got it but had 10 bolts front and rear then i started lifting changing etc..

I just ordered some hooker headers and have 3'' flowmaster mufflers, I put in a k&n filter and tune up and brought it back to a little life..the motor has originally 152xxx miles on it and runs awsome..first start crank choke holds warms up runs great no problems.. MY buddy was diggin through his garage and came across his NEW never used edlebrok 750 4 barrel carb said i could basically have it for a weekend worth of truck fixin.. Im assumed id need a new intake manifold to match that kind of a carb and with headers getting rid of the smog pump and probably going to electric fan that should free up some gas thirsty ponies right!! BUT at what expense..is that much air and fuel gonna burn out or cause problems on the stock engine..Will it need a new cam?? New heads???? 4x4 drive train wise i got it and understand it...when ya dig into a motor im lost...Anyhelp would be great. I figured id just go with the headers and electric fan since thats not gonna **** anythin up to much..oh yeah its a sbc 350 4 bolt main i believe. Thanks and sorry for the long run on..

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That much lift , 10 bolt front , and 42's .....hmmmm . So its obviously a show rig , right ?

Go ahead and use the Carb on a new or ck5/ebay intake :D

Or maybe put some money into new gears to turn those tires a little better , even with the sm465 .

3. suburban n progress

show??? allready been pulling trucks out left and right with the thing..there is some common sense when it comes to the gas pedal... Far from a show rig..Oh but being in florida im not doing any crawling..just mud here and there..but since only 1 response out of 40 people...ill just forget this thread..

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

It's not worth it IMO. Then again, I am not a fan of Edelbrock carbs on 4x4's. I'll stick with my factory Q-jet anyday over a Holly or Edelbrock. I have NEVER been able to keep them running right on an off road rig. Whereas my Q-jet takes a constant beating and never quits! :cool:

Also, if its a bone stock engine, a 750 is way too much carb for it. You'll have overfueling issues and every time you romp on it, you'll be able to see unburnt fuel spilling out the tail pipes.

However, if you really want to run it, I have a spacer/adapter that will allow you to bolt it on to your current intake manifold so you can judge for yourself. If it were me, I'd change one thing at a time and make sure it was the right change before dumping hundreds of dollars into it just because the carb has a different bore than your factory one.

Spacer = $10 plus the ride if you want it.

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Thats alot of carb for the stock OLD 350. Plus it has alot less vacuum ports than the 86 motor and carb uses. I would go rebuilt Q-Jet. With 150K miles on the motor I wouldnt try to add alot of power goodies. I would say good tune up, headers, go with free carb or rebuild the one you have and try to find a cheap intake off e-bay or swap meet. E-Bay usually has used aluminum manifolds for under $50. Then save up your $$ and do a rebuild with go fast parts, add a locker and some 4.88 or higher gears!!

6. suburban n progress

good deal thats what i was wonderin.... i appreciate it..it is an old engine but dang if it doesnt run good..i guess it got new heads and head gaskets from the last reciept the lady gave me of recent tune ups..Maybe i should just get me an engine and try rebuilding it and dropping it in one day...or i see these crate engines off ebay that are cheap..assuming there "cheap engines" but who knows..The 4.10s arent doing a bad job at all...but 4.88 is the highest i can go im pretty sure in a 10 bolt..and for the money to do a gear job im half way to a 60 to run 5.13's.. Well thanks anyways i guess ill just rebuild the carb and have it adjusted cause i think its running rich or the choke seems like its still engaged a bit...BUT i dont know. and headers and take away that big ole fan..

Well thanks again..