Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old engine out.....New engine..........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Apr 11, 2003.

Well me and a friend got the old motor out and the new crate 350 ready to install tomorrow !!! We took the front clip off to get to things better and get the hoist high enough. Any suggestions on them damn shims, so we get things lined back up right? I was thinking of taping them on !!!

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd throw each group of shims in a ziplock bag and mark where they went with a Sharpie marker...throw the whole works in the glove box so they don't get lost.

Rene

2. Great idea if I would have did that !! lol Too late !! I tried to keep them at least on the floor board on the side they go on. As far as how many where I dunno !! I get it figured out !! The shims go in some really tight spots, so it will be fun to get them in there.

3. tRustyK5

I did the same as you...sorta. Most ended up on the floor of the shop for a few weeks. My sheet metal has never been shimmed right anyways so it wasn't a big deal.

The shims with the little panhandle are the easiest to get in...the plain square ones kinda suck.

Getting it shimmed right is pretty important though, I now have a severely hashed passenger fender because it wasn't shimmed far enough out from the cowl. My wife couldn't get out of the truck a month or so ago, so I went around and figured it might hang a bit and then open. Instead, the door edge caved the whole edge of the fender badly./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Trail carnage is one thing, but this happened at a mall /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rene

4. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

Sorry for this ignorant question, but what shims are yall talking about? I did an engine swap, but didnt take the front clip apart, just removed the hood, so I'm not too knowlageable about what all is in there. Thanks.

*in edit* Big Burb, Nice truck! I just noticed that your in the Army, I joined last month and ship out for basic (Ft Benning Georgia) on the 30th of this month. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

They use shims at the upper part of the cowl (adjusts height of fender) shims at the upper part of the door edge (adjusts the fender outwards from the body at the top of the fender, and there are shims at the lower mounting point (adjusts the fender in or out to match the door line)

The shims look like flat horseshoes with a panhandle at one end so you can start the bolt and then slip them between the fender and the mount point surface.

Rene

6. That is exactly what I am trying to avoid !! I think there was two under each one except for the top one under the hood and the upper one inside of the door area !! I'll figure it out, I hope !!

7. Thanks !! I have been in the Army for alomost 17 years !! Good luck !! The shims are put in between the body and the mounting points. There are 12 bolts, some wiring, cables, hoses, ect.. and whalla the whole front clip comes off, which made it a lot easier to get to my engine since I am up 9 inches of lift higher than stock !!

8. Yeah that's what I meant to say !!! lol Go get em Rene !!

9. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

Thanks for the explinations.
    Since you already got the front clip off, why not just install one of them forward tilting fiberglass front clips? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif They got them here.

Probably would be kinda pricey to get it painted though.

10. No thanks on a tilt front end !! Knowing my bad luck, it would come loose going down the rode, fall off, and I'd run over it !! It would be rather handy though!!

11. New engine is in ..........

We got the engine in tonight, but still have to tighten a few bolts, hook up some minor stuff, drop the distributor in her, and put the front clip back on !! I'll drive her back home tomorrow !! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. We got the new one in and everything is running fine. Of course we had a few of those "can't explain why that is happening things" happen !! Like the Alternator belt wouldn't stay on. (The new belt was just a little wider than the old one and it kept throwing it) Now I gotta get my new fuel filters in and my new accelerator pump and she'll ne purrring like a lion !!! All in All it went well and I ended up with about $1800 worth of goodies under the hood. Crate 350 P/N 10067352, new alternator, fuel pump, header gaskets, distributor gasket, and intake gaskets, new fan clutch, motor mounts, PVC grommets, PVC valve, valve cover breather, K&N recharge kit, oil, oil filter, 1 qt. tranny fluid, 2 gallons of Antifreeze, RTV, radiator hoses, fuel filters, vacuum advance, loctite anti-sieze, Spark plugs, and that is about it !! The PS pump, starter, distributor, intake and carb are the original stuff left !! 3 year 50K parts and labor warranty !! Headed to SC on Thursday !!! I will be back at the end of May !!