Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

old fashion rock guards

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buffblazer, Jul 2, 2005.

1. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

does anyone remember in the 80's when GM put the stainless steel rock guards in front of the rear tires on certain trucks and k5's they also put the clear ones on . just wondering because i have them on my k5 but i dont see anyone else running them. are they hard to find or do you guys just not like them? and also does anyone happen to know where to buy new ones?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you mean the rust creators? I've seen a bunch of trucks around here with them, everyone of them, the fender behind them is rusted out. Either someone covered the rust with these or they hold moisture and make them rust. My 97 pickup just got repainted, the entire body below the trim(like 8" from the rockers) is coated in that body color stone protectant stuff.

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

your correct on the moisture and road salt...at least- up here it traps road salt too....When I put my doors and fenders on my K5, I didnt put any of the trim back on, the rear fenders still have it, but if i keep it and paint it- it will be going "naked".

Brandy

4. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

i put mine back on when i painted it because the rocks where chipping my paint. i remember that my paneling was rusted away also maybe i will take them off