Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

old gas out or no?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jfaulk, Dec 9, 2006.

1. jfaulk

jfaulk Registered Member

My truck's been sitting for the last 16 months and I can't make up my mind if I should drain the fuel tank or let it ride. Before I put it in storage, I added Stabil and filled the tank up as full as it would go. You fellers think I should drain the tank or just use what's in there? Thanks.:confused:

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it smells ok I'd just use it. If you put stabilizer in it, maybe put a bottle of octane booster or system cleaner in there. Either way, use all of it(or drain all of it) and fill up with fresh before storing it(putting more stabilizer in).

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Run it. My truck sat in a feild for at least a year and half, wouldn't stay running with the gas that was in it. Would barely start then die out. I kept putting in fresh till the old gas was used up.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Top it off if its not completely full, put some cleaner it it and run it.

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Run it. next tank fill up with 93 octane. after that run what you want.

6. jfaulk

jfaulk Registered Member

thanks. i'm just gonna run what i got and see how it goes.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Mines been sitting over a year with the same gas in it, has been started/run up to this point and still runs fine. Oh yeah, and it's untreated, just like the gas in my shed that sits over winter for the lawnmower.

I'd be more concerned with the crud that forms in the float bowl as the fuel evaporated.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  8. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If you put the recommended amount of Stabil in there, you don't have anything to worry about. That stuff works wonders. Always remember to run the vehicle long enough after you pour it in to circulate throughout the entire fuel system. If the fuel was untreated, I'd drain it. It doesn't take long for fuel to varnish, and it's a real pain to clean everything up after it does.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've seen my share of ruined engines from trying to be ran with bad gas. The bad gas will stick the valve open and allow the piston to hit it and bend or break the valve and or rocker arm or pull a rocker stud. I rebuild engines for a living and have first hand experience with this but i'm sure there will be many others here who will disagree with me and tell you to run the old gas. Very foolish thing to do if you ask me so go ahead and decide for yourself what you want to do.

10. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I think you missed the part of his post where he said he added stabil and filled the tank before he stored it. I've stored more than my share of gasoline engines of all sizes using stabil or seafoam. They claim it extends the storage life of gasoline to over two years. I have gone that long and longer. The stuff works.

11. 4X4HIGH

I did not miss that part. Trust me when i say i've seen my fair share of ruined engines from bad gas. I don't believe for one minute that the fuel stabilizers work or at least work good enough to trust the fuel.

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Mine was sitting for atleast a year,and it fired right up the other day. :confused:

13. 4X4HIGH

It may start but gas turns to varnish as it gets old (usually only takes about 6 months). The varnish is gummy and will stick a valve open and then Kaboom goes the engine. What the hell, it keeps me in business so why am i even telling anyone. :confused:

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Fresh Fuel on left, Old Fuel on right. Pulled this pic off a search. The guy was doing his own amateur test. His conclusion was that it didn't matter.

My opinion - there is no way in hell I'd run that old crap through my engine.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  15. jfaulk

jfaulk Registered Member

well, after reading the posts from 4X4HIGH and JIMINYCRICKET I think I am gonna drain it after all. My motor is a brand new crate motor with less than 1K on it and I ain't gonna take the chance. I would rather just spend the money on new gas and have piece of mind about the whole deal. thanks for all the input.

16. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

thats your safest bet...altho i have ran a car that had been sitting for close to 3 years with 1/2 tank in it. had to put fresh down the carb to get it to start, but once it started it ran, not good, but it ran for 30 min or so to my shop. we pulled the motor and dropped the tank and pulled the steering column and the parts we wanted to keep, but i would drain it if your engine is a crate engine with about 1K miles(no way i would put it tru my engine, under that scenario!!!)

17. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Didn't say I was gonna keep it. :haha:

I'm going propane anyway... Motor will be a complete tear down.