Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

old gas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chebywanna, Sep 13, 2003.

1. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

how long does it take for gas to go bad? and how would you guys go about getting rid of it? and im talking quite a fiew gallons.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i see alot of it with the boats, people don't put stabilizer in their lawn ornament, aka boat. usually 2 years or so, have seen it in a little over a year too. but it's apparently not set in stone, i've had stuff thats been sitting for 5, and fire right up...

we are usually pumping out 50 to 300 gallons and just have our waste oil company deal with it. we put it in plastic 55 gallon drums...

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What's it in? Your truck? How long has it been in there?

If it's anything 2-cycle, keep gas for as short as possible! The additives in gas these days suck and they break down really quickly. In a 2-cycle it's crucial to have good gas, and Stihl sent a memo to dealers telling them to inform customers to keep gas/oil mix no longer than 30 days /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That's a little short in my opinion...3 months would be about max I'd keep gas for a chainsaw, trimmer, etc.
    If it's your truck, it really depends on how long it's been in there. Old/bad fuel just gums everything up and it wouldn't be a bad idea to run some fuel injector cleaner (lots) through the system. If the gas has been in there for a year or so, I'd say you're fine, but much longer than that I would think about draining it.
    Oh, and for those reading this and thinking, "what am I supposed to do with the gas I bought 3 years ago for my chainsaw?" Well, see if your town has a place that will dispose of it for you. Or, the small engine mechanics where I work dump their old 50:1 mix into their trucks /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

That's a good question I know how to get rid of my old oil (pour it down the storm drain, /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Just kidding) recycle it! But how do you get rid of old gas? Can you mix it with new gas? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

one tank is a truck im working on its been there for 4 months so i can just "move" that to the truck im driving and burn it, but the other one has been sitting for over two years, and it smells like bad gas so i don't want to chance it. i guess ill be calling safetyclean monday see what they say about taking it.
    thanks
    jim

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Gas starts to break down and go bad after around 6 months. If the gas smells bad then do not chance using it. When gas goes bad it turns to a varnish and gums things up like said before. You can easily have a valve stick in an open position and have the piston make love to it and then you will be pulling the heads to have them fixed. Bad gas usually will start to smell like turpentine.