Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old Home Stereo Gear?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by skratch, Apr 6, 2004.

1. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I was wondering who all here is into older home stereo gear.
    I got my hands on a Pioneer 4 channel reciever model QX-747, and I have no idea what to do with it.
    I thought about using it if I could figure out how to hook it up, but iI'm more into the Kenwood gear myself.
    If anybody has any thoughst on this unit and how to use it or is interested let me know.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have a fairly newer JBL home theater in the living room, but I also have a old Vector Research stereo back in the bedroom.

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I have an old SX-650 which rocks out! Those old stereos really put out! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd like to get one of those old receivers for my shop stereo..... you know, the kind with the BIG machined tuner knob on them and a really wide display (analog) for the radio stations...

I've seen some that you could spin that knob and watch the needle just cruise along the dial....there was so much weight in the knob it acted like a flywheel and just kept going and going and going..... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think it was an old Marantz or something. I'm sure these are the workhorses you could find at yard sales for around $25 or less nowadays.

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I've got a Sony setup in my living room right now, but I still have old stereo system. Its a 1984ish Marantz receiver, EQ, and I used to have the matching CD player of the same vintage, but it finally gave up the ghost. This thing weighs a ton! Its all digital though. 1000 watts by 4 channels. It will get LOUD too!! I've only got two of the original floor speakers that came with it, but they still play good as new. I miss using that stereo!

Kris

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've seen some that you could spin that knob and watch the needle just cruise along the dial....there was so much weight in the knob it acted like a flywheel and just kept going and going and going.....

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Yeah, my Pioneer will do this, even at its advanced age (early 70's). I used to do it all the time when I was younger and was our main stereo in our house, now that it's mine I'm glad I didn't screw anything up back then.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

All the stuff at my house is mostly old stuff from my dads years. We have a old pioneer (dont no the model number) A old sanyo, and one other one. And like 6 record players, 2 tape decks, and some speakers. Just recently upgraded to newer stuff. I find the easier stereo equip. is easier to work. Not so many buttons /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've seen some that you could spin that knob and watch the needle just cruise along the dial....there was so much weight in the knob it acted like a flywheel and just kept going and going and going..... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got one like that in the livingroom /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

At least the TV has variable out so you don't have to get up to adjust the volume...it does look kinda strange with the DVD player on top of it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd like to get one of those old receivers for my shop stereo..... you know, the kind with the BIG machined tuner knob on them and a really wide display (analog) for the radio stations...

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked up an old Technics SA-303 for the garage a while back. It plays through a set of JBL speakers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It will definitely rock the house! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

quadraphonic is the way to go /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

11. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a SXD-7000 Pioneer. This thing is huge and cranks out some juice, The problem is the volume knob is staticy.

CR

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

The volume knob uses a POT wich is like a variable restior, youshould be able to take it apare and clean the contacts with a q-tip and some alcohol, if not they should be pretty easy to find. Its hard for me to describe it but if you take it apart you should be able to clean it, hope this helps,
    dale /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif