Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old Motor Swap vs Emissions on an 87

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5guy'sblazer, Feb 23, 2006.

1. k5guy'sblazer

k5guy'sblazer Newbie

Hey guys, im in a bit of a problem with my k5 and would like some advice.

originally, my k5 was owned by my freind who encountered alot of problems with it not running, so he decided to rip out the tbi and add a qjet(without computer.) i helped him out a bit working on it for a while but she sat a while with no attention and the engine siezed. at this point i made i deal with my friend sayin if i could get it to run, i could keep it.

so now im looking for a new motor to put in it at a good price and have come across a dirt-cheap-good-running 307 out of a chevelle(1970). my question is this. if i put in this 307, do i have any chance in hell of passing emissions in maryland(with all the tricks of puttin alcohol in the tank, gtp etc...)

just from the times ive been to the emission inspection here in md, they dont really look under the hood for anything(eliminating the obligation of having the AIR.)

so what do you guys think? will this old motor be able to pass, or is the fact that it was built before the emissions era going to make it fail? thanks for any help
    Vic

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Most likely the fact that it is carbed and not EFI will make it fail visual long before anyone notices it isn't quite the right motor.

3. k5guy'sblazer

k5guy'sblazer Newbie

well, im not too worried about a visual inspection on it. from the many times(in older cars) i have taken a car to emissions around here, i have never seen anyone look under the hood. the only thing they do is take a mirror andput it under the car to verify if it has a cat or not. do you think it could pass based on just the #s the sniffer picks up?
    Thanks
    Vic

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just about any engine can be made to pass, as long as it's not internally messed up (leaking oil into cylinders, etc) and you are absolutely sure they aren't going to pop the hood.

The carb will have to be in good tune though!

5. k5guy'sblazer

k5guy'sblazer Newbie

thanks for the help. i was a bit worried since the motor is old model year(pre-emissions) one thing for sure, i will have to make sure the rebuilt qjet going on it is tuned correctly. thanks again