Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old Oiler Guru's

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 79Stomper, Jul 21, 2006.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hello all, first time poster in this diesel section. So I have a few questions. I have searched a little on here for the answer but kind of hard to explain to a search engine.

I recently picked up an 86 M1008 to strip for my M1009. (6.2 I would assume) I have ripped the wiring harness out of the truck and was finishing up the engine wiring harness today. Well while I was pulling it through the injector lines I noticed that there was a second switch/sensor of some sort on the back of the block. Now I have rebuilt quite a few 350's and from what I have guessed I think I am somewhat right on most of the switches/sensors.

1. The switch/sensor in question is located just above the transmission bellhousing. It wasn't connected to a wire but was just there. There is also one that connects into the manifold for which I am guessing it is the temp sensor. So what is this other one on the back of the motor.

2. Also would anyone happen to have a diesel specific wiring diagram so I can begin to replicate a new harness. I looked at the sticky and well all it had was gassers.

3. On the front of the block next to the #1 injector/glowplug, that is the pressure switch?

I will be posting more in this section as time goes on. I have worked on a few diesels but most were HMMWV's and 2nd echelon stuff.

TIA
    James

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

IIRC the oil pressure is on the back of the block at the fire wall on the ds:D

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The back of the block is where the GP controller lives, and there is a temp inhibit switch there too. At 120F the inhibit switch turns off the HPCA solenoid on the IP. Think of it as a fast idle dealie for cold engine. The GP controller also samples engine temps so it can adjust glow times...

The oil pressure switch is in approximately the same location as a sbc.

Jarhead has an awesome 6.2 manual that should likely have wiring. If not, someone else might. I prefer simple, and wiring a 6.2 is simple. Manual GP's are easy to do, plus 12V+ in the run/start position for the IP and you're gold. The alt and headlight stuff should all be the same.

Rene

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Check my 6.2 tech info sticky post - I scanned every page I could find in my book about the CUCV glowplug system. Hope it helps.

S/F

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks for posting. SO far it is helping me determine which wires are which in the harness. I think I will just more than likely do the manual glow plugs to keep my engine bay somewhat clean of a rats nest of wiring. I am sure I will be posting more in the weeks as the install comes into play.